Degritter ultrasonic record cleaner

Hi y’all, just a few words on what I think is a worthy alternative to the Audio Desk Systeme and KLAudio ultrasonic cleaners.

http://degritter.com/media-kit/

I’ve been a beta tester on the Degritter for the last few weeks, and am happy to offer my opinions and answer any qs for those interested.

I believe official launch is in early May, and at this stage after a couple of quibbles in day to day use, I’m planning to keep my unit, it’s been a pretty good success, and invaluable addition to day to day life as a vinyl addict.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Apr 23, 2018
We finally have a Support Center available on our website.
The Support Center provides you with latest software updates and troubleshooting guides.

Also, we have just released software version 1.6.1 that compared to the earlier versions that we shipped out with has multiple features like:
  • Automatic water cooling
  • Smart drying
  • Longer washing programs
  • Multiple improvements and fixes for smaller issues

Deionized water is not recommended, as it is corrosive and has very low conductivity, possibly resulting in harm to the machine.
This is a precautionary warning as the pure deionized water can absorb atmospheric carbon dioxide and can produce carbonic acid, which can reduce the water's pH to as little as 5.5. Also, total lack of ions can theoretically cause our sensors to not detect the water, but adding cleaning fluid to the water will immediately introduce ions to the water.

This means that when deionized water is used with cleaning fluid it will work all right, but we want to run some tests with laboratory grade deionized water before we remove the warning from our manual.

Apr 23, 2018
Can i ask, how does the Degritter compare with the Audio Desk rcm?
I would like to chip in a bit to the AudioDesk vs Degritter comparison. Again, I emphasise that I am a representative of Degritter company and therefore I cannot be taken as an unbiased reviewer even though I will try to be one.

Recently we got our hands on one of the AudioDesk PRO machines and we did a bit of poking around to see how exactly does their ultrasonic cleaning work. Previously we have expressed our concerns about it because the machine is using external 24 v DC power adapter and you normally do not power your ultrasonic amplifiers with 24 v DC and also because the machine consumed only 40 W while it was cleaning together with all the pumps and motors.

What we found was that the "ultrasonic" label on AudioDesk comes from a small ultrasonic mist maker that has been placed inside of the machine. Ultrasonic mist makers are basically small transducers that are running on 1.7 MHz frequency and with this high frequency they are able to turn water into mist.

The one inside AudioDesk looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lemonbest-Ultrasonic-Atomizer-Humidifier-Charger/dp/B00H1MD3R2

The problem with using a mist maker as a cleaner is that it runs at so extremely high frequency 1700 kHz that the ultrasonic cavitation has very little or no effect on the surfaces. The cleaning effect is diminished even more with the use of only 10W of power.

We shot a small video where you can see the AudioDesk mist maker complete with the mood setting RGB LEDs in action:

While the ultrasonic cleaning in AudioDesk is lacking, we are not trying to dismiss AudioDesk as a great record cleaning machine. What we also saw was a machine with good build quality and great design concepts. The mechanism with rolling brushes is very effective and it does its job well.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018
At what temperature does the Degritter warn that the water temperature is too high?
At 35 degrees C.

We have now included a feature in the software that will turn off the ultrasonic cleaning and the machine will cool the water for 2 minutes once it happens. After the 2 minute cooling the machine will resume washing and will complete the washing and drying cycle.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
At 35 degrees C.

We have now included a feature in the software that will turn off the ultrasonic cleaning and the machine will cool the water for 2 minutes once it happens. After the 2 minute cooling the machine will resume washing and will complete the washing and drying cycle.
Thanks. It's nice you have a programmable interface sufficient to control the unit in that way.

I'm interested in the use of heat as part of the vinyl record ultrasonic cleaning process. How did you arrive at 35 degrees C?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
The melting point for PVC plastics that Vinyl is made out of range from 100 C - 200 C, but the materials become soft long before this happens. Starting from temperatures of 40 C you can start seeing warping damage on records.
Thanks for your follow-up.

So your rationale here for a temperature warning at 35° C is based on the potential for record warpage or damage at higher temperatures around 40° C, and that is based on observation of deformation at the higher temps. I too have seen very slight deformation (say 1-2mm) at temperatures north of 40° C. From observation I'll note this in the bath while upon removal to cooler temps (room temp) records always return to the same flatness they had prior to heating. I have not seen a record fail to return to flat, although I've also not exposed records to temperatures higher than 42-43° C. Which isn't to say it cannot happen.

So damage potential is a rational for staying below a specific temperature.

My understanding of using heat as part of the ultrasonic cleaning process in general, not just for records, is that heat can improve cleaning effectiveness. Heat may improve the strength of cavitation. Likewise the amount of heat to use may tie to the material cleaned and the makeup of the cleaning solution. This is why many commercial USC machines have heaters and thermostats. (I understand your product does not have a built-in heater and heat generated wilth it comes from the transducers putting energy into the solution, so this angle may not be of interest to you. Not a criticism.)

But I'll ask: Has Degritter done any research into the amount of heat to use for optimal cleaning of vinyl generally or the material composition of a vinyl record?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing