Does "competes with much more expensive" actually exist?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nelson Pass and team uses a pair of Tannoy loudspeakers from the 60’s for their amplifier testing and evaluation. They are very revealing to amplifier changes and tonality according to Nelson.

Tannoy is not the most transparent nor is Pass electronics. Tannoy is not that linear either. But I guess amp designers have their own individual testing style. I like vintage tannoy though and was planning to go to the west coast to listen to that Westminster earlier, but now with lock down don't know when. The system sounds delightful from descriptions and a brief video that Ron had posted some months back. I can see why his reviewer friend, used to Wilson, liked tannoy so much. Will be a welcome change from "hifi" land to music land

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Tannoy is not the most transparent nor is Pass electronics. Tannoy is not that linear either. But I guess amp designers have their own individual testing style. I like vintage tannoy though and was planning to go to the west coast to listen to that Westminster earlier, but now with lock down don't know when. The system sounds delightful from descriptions and a brief video that Ron had posted some months back. I can see why his reviewer friend, used to Wilson, liked tannoy so much. Will be a welcome change from "hifi" land to music land

Classic bonzo post.

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
? Never said that
Good morning Ked, it was a knee jerk reaction on my part.. some years ago when there was a Starbucks on every corner, A coffee buddy of mine would always complain about Starbucks coffee. Said they burn their beans, overheat the water, etc... So I made the comment sarcastically as we waited in line, that they would never be successful..
I agree with you regarding the Pass sound.. it’s just to the right of neutral to my ears,

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I am sorry I misunderstood your question.

I personally prefer this Tannoy over the Wilson Audio Alexx, which is more than twice the price.

I personally would take the Tannoy over the Magico loudspeakers I have heard.

Yes, it is the loudspeaker which is slightly warmish.

OH, and I forgot to mention that I hear great coherence from this Tannoy. I never for a moment have the sense that I am listening to an array of different drivers connected by complicated crossovers. I don't normally have a sensitivity to driver incoherence in any event, but there is something just noticeably "of a piece" about the sound coming from this giant box, compared to complicated, multi-driver cone systems.

Finally, and, surprisingly, given my general befuddlement about vdH cartridges, the vdH Colibri in JimFord's system adds more to transparency and resolution than it detracts in extreme neutrality (or tipped-up tonal balance, depending on your subjective preference) and slight edginess.

I thought the Tannoy was 1x 15 driver with a tweeter in the middle of it? Am I missing something here?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good morning Ked, it was a knee jerk reaction on my part.. some years ago when there was a Starbucks on every corner, A coffee buddy of mine would always complain about Starbucks coffee. Said they burn their beans, overheat the water, etc... So I made the comment sarcastically as we waited in line, that they would never be successful..
I agree with you regarding the Pass sound.. it’s just to the right of neutral to my ears,

Ok, I used to drink a lot of Starbucks and pass is just not as good. Also, now I drip my own filter and will assemble my own horn, similarly

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I thought the Tannoy was 1x 15 driver with a tweeter in the middle of it? Am I missing something here?
That's right it is a concentric driver. But it is very coherent, single driver like. Their drivers are good but their factory cross overs are usually not and tweaking benefits but you need to find someone who has done it well

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Vintage tannoy golds and HPDs are also quite superior to all Wilsons and Magico I heard. You are comparing natural sound vs highly synthetic, coherent vs incoherent

These generalizations are so broad as to virtually guarantee their inaccuracy.

Reactions: sbo6 and KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

No just spot on might aggravate the Wilson apologists. As I said before I don't want to be in this hobby if speakers were made like Wilson, Magico, or shudder, Raidho

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Clearly, these are matters of personal taste and opinion. Accuracy is tangential. (I would not be here otherwise.)

Reactions: prerich

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Clearly, these are matters of personal taste and opinion.

How dare you say that? They are irrefutable dogma, the evidence of which is plain to see for anyone with ears to listen!

Reactions: microstrip

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
OH, and I forgot to mention that I hear great coherence from this Tannoy. I never for a moment have the sense that I am listening to an array of different drivers connected by complicated crossovers. I don't normally have a sensitivity to driver incoherence in any event, but there is something just noticeably "of a piece" about the sound coming from this giant box, compared to complicated, multi-driver cone systems.

Wow!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How dare you say that? They are irrefutable dogma, the evidence of which is plain to see for anyone with ears to listen!

What you say is partly true, since I find no evidence of those who like Wilson Magico having much experience, if any, with tannoy and horn set ups. So like you said "for anyone with ears to listen" provided they do listen.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What you say is partly true, since I find no evidence of those who like Wilson Magico having much experience, if any, with tannoy and horn set ups. So like you said "for anyone with ears to listen" provided they do listen.

LOL. There are moments when you can be really funny, Ked (love your British humor). This is not one of those moments though, but hey, I'll take it anyway. :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
LOL. There are moments when you can be really funny, Ked (love your British humor). This is not one of those moments though, but hey, I'll take it anyway. :p

No it was just insight. Or maybe not because it is too obvious to be an insight

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing