Ethics of Switching Seats at a Classical Concert

Is it okay to move to an empty and better seat at a classical concert?

• Yes

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
Narcissistic entitlement refers to a belief that one's importance, superiority, or uniqueness should result in getting special treatment and receiving more resources than others. ... Narcissistic entitlement also includes a willingness to demand this special treatment or extra resources.

Bruce, I guess my friend was a narcissistic 15 year old teenager back then. Other kids pushed and shoved people out of the way as they scrambled and trampled to the front after the gate was opened. Kids just moved out of his way. As I said, pretty sleazy, but funny.

Peter... Just to clarify... No one is consciously booking a cheaper seat and moving to a more expensive one. At shows, seats are often sold out. Then, the only choice is to gain an entry by paying for a side seat. However, many don't turn up, and then we shift. Empty seats can easily be spotted, and it is just a matter of timing, in the interval or before it during a break when the artists walk off, that we need to do this.

All my advanced booked seats at barbican or royal festival hall, for example are booked at maximum price at the right seat. However I go to a lot of concerts deciding on that day itself, on the way back from work... Or closer to the time...Where this is not possible. Then you have to shift seats otherwise the concert is a total waste.

At times, though very rare, I have had to shift to a cheaper seat because it was better. This happens in unfamiliar concert halls.

The guys who said no, how many concerts do you go to a month, and how many are unplanned?

I never do it, because: a) some people do show up during the intermission; b) they may be season seats, so it's effectively trespassing; c) impossible to tell if the seats were just never sold

Of course if somebody shows up I would relinquish the seat to the rightful sitter. Absent depriving a rightful sitter of the squatted seat it really is a Pareto Optimal outcome, of which I am a big fan.

For the record yesterday was literally the first and only time I have moved seats in the 15 or so times I have been to Walt Disney Concert Hall in the last two years. It actually never occurred to me to buy a cheaper seat in the hope of moving to a more expensive seat. I just don’t think that cheaply. I am fine to buy an expensive seat I want for a concert I care deeply about if it means that much to me.

Mozart Symphony No. 41 is my single favorite classical piece. Single concert purchases for non-season ticket holders for this performance opened last September. I immediately bought two tickets last September, but the season ticket holders had already reserved almost all of the front orchestra seats. I saw only two front orchestra seats left, for about $600 each, but paying that much for a performance kind of takes the fun out of it (even for my favorite classical piece).

So I wound up paying $180 per ticket (already super expensive!) for by far the worst seats (upper level mezzanine, pretty far towards the back) I have ever purchased at Walt Disney Concert Hall. During the performance I learned that sitting that high and that far back from the stage made the sound kind of distant and involving. No likey.

We saw two empty seats in the front row, almost directly behind Dudamel. Targeting those two seats we immediately devised a plan of action. After the intermission we executed the plan! :cool:

We encountered a dirty look from a guy with a walkie-talkie and took evasive action. After that it was a clear shot to the target!

Last edited:
Reactions: Folsom
Narcissistic entitlement refers to a belief that one's importance, superiority, or uniqueness should result in getting special treatment and receiving more resources than others. ... Narcissistic entitlement also includes a willingness to demand this special treatment or extra resources.

:rolleyes:

Of course if somebody shows up I would relinquish the seat to the rightful sitter. Absent depriving a rightful sitter of the squatted seat it really is a Pareto Optimal outcome, of which I am a big fan.

Exactly.

Just to give you guys an example... This is just one email screenshot of booked tickets at the barbican, where most of the tickets booked in advance are at a seat I wouldn't shift from.

However there are others I would want to, in other halls, booked not well enough in advance, etc

You can clearly see a pattern here of sticking up seats in the 30s and preferring the P, Q, and S row

18EFFB34-F95C-4FB4-98F2-E807DCE0EC68.jpeg

I bet you guys also go to classical concerts all well dressed up

For some reason I can't quite explain, this post reminds me of the ones where Ron comes in and writes, "Please, NO politics."

Something about going back and researching the gear he owns, learning that he likes vinyl, and then passing judgement about the guy's behavior. I don't think I'll vote in the poll.

Peter, if there is a seat available in your sailing boat I wouldn't mind; I'd seat anywhere. :)

Reactions: PeterA
I never do it, because: a) some people do show up during the intermission; b) they may be season seats, so it's effectively trespassing; c) impossible to tell if the seats were just never sold

I thought about that too, and it made me said what I've said earlier.
Anyway it's not in me (@ my age or even younger) to play musical chair in a music concert hall.

As for voting or not; it makes zero difference to me. But to some others it might; so I simply abstain.

How many of you go well dressed up

The guys who said no, how many concerts do you go to a month, and how many are unplanned?

There are three guys now who voted no.
I believe that in order to get a more accurate representation a minimum of 100 voters would be more like it. Right now it means less than zero nothing.

I say, just grab that damn seat, and if the rightful owner taps you on the shoulder, say they can take your seat, transparency/you are there/they are here/texture/pitch black background/tonal balance/timbral accuracy/etc etc, is SOOO much better in your seat.

They should have standing arena like for rock concerts or the proms. Then none of this pseudo ethical business

Ron

I’ve been to Disney many times and wonder if your shift to a 2nd row seat resulted in sonic gain. I find too close in Disney isn’t always better

Don't know about Disney but That's usually the case in most halls. You don't want to be too close

I say, just grab that damn seat, and if the rightful owner taps you on the shoulder, say they can take your seat, transparency/you are there/they are here/texture/pitch black background/tonal balance/timbral accuracy/etc etc, is SOOO much better in your seat.

Say the empty seat you switched for is the seat of a big guy (Hells Angels) who decided to only assist to his favorite part of the music concert, after the entracte; and he has a hot temper?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing