Fiber vs. Ethernet sonic differences

Attachments

• DE930BC9-0894-4B32-8C54-BFD83E531E3B.jpeg
    DE930BC9-0894-4B32-8C54-BFD83E531E3B.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Thieliste
Hi guys, i just purchased 2 of the new Sonore Optical Modules Deluxe that i placed between my Switch and my Aqua LinQ streamer.
Strangely i'm experimenting many drops some days when streaming from Qobuz and Tidal.
Did you guys have connection drops using FMCs in your system ?

Hi guys, i just purchased 2 of the new Sonore Optical Modules Deluxe that i placed between my Switch and my Aqua LinQ streamer.
Strangely i'm experimenting many drops some days when streaming from Qobuz and Tidal.
Did you guys have connection drops using FMCs in your system ?

Hi,
I have the 2 of the Sonore Optical Modules Deluxe in use for about 3 weeks now, but no issues, neither with Qobuz nor with Tidal.
I have Lancome Router -> 2 Sonore Optical Modules Deluxe -> Ansuz Powerswitch D2 -> Ansuz Powerswitch D-TC Supreme -> Taiko Extreme.
BTW, will try next weekend to add another Ansuz Powerswitch D2, then between Lancome Router and first Sonore Optical Module.
All the best.

Hi,
I have the 2 of the Sonore Optical Modules Deluxe in use for about 3 weeks now, but no issues, neither with Qobuz nor with Tidal.
I have Lancome Router -> 2 Sonore Optical Modules Deluxe -> Ansuz Powerswitch D2 -> Ansuz Powerswitch D-TC Supreme -> Taiko Extreme.
BTW, will try next weekend to add another Ansuz Powerswitch D2, then between Lancome Router and first Sonore Optical Module.
All the best.
One thing i discovered is that is was using Phoenix Contact singlemode fiber with Multimode Finisar 8519 SFPs.
I'm now using the stock Multimode fiber and it seems to work better.
I'm waiting for Finisar 1475 and 1318 to try out with my Phoenix Contact glass fiber.

Reactions: Gunnar
One thing i discovered is that is was using Phoenix Contact singlemode fiber with Multimode Finisar 8519 SFPs.
I'm now using the stock Multimode fiber and it seems to work better.
I'm waiting for Finisar 1475 and 1318 to try out with my Phoenix Contact glass fiber.
I just have purchased the whole package from Sonore including 25m fiber and Finisar they have recommended.
Can’t say which Finisar Sonore has supplied, but it does work flawless.

Based on this thread I ordered an improved glass fiber for my fiber bridge, I use different hardware and a different fiber spec so I won't post the cable directly. The difference over the plain fiber I had been using and the new one was definitely positive. Music has more liquidity, warmth and flow. This cable uses Corning SMF-28 Ultra fiber. It was also absurdly cheap from Amazon.

Here's a version that I think will work in your configurations though?

I just have purchased the whole package from Sonore including 25m fiber and Finisar they have recommended.
Can’t say which Finisar Sonore has supplied, but it does work flawless.
Did you burn them in and how long?

Did you burn them in and how long?
Hi,
I have not burned them in, they are switched on 24/7, but I just listen music later in the evening and at the weekend of course.
I hope, that this will generate a kind of burn effect over the time, although taking some time then.
Best
Axel

Hi,
I have not burned them in, they are switched on 24/7, but I just listen music later in the evening and at the weekend of course.
I hope, that this will generate a kind of burn effect over the time, although taking some time then.
Best
Axel
Yes that is also what i do leave them on 24/7.
For me they make a huge difference in my system compared to any other tweaks.
Much more impressive than the best Switchs on the market.

Yes that is also what i do leave them on 24/7.
For me they make a huge difference in my system compared to any other tweaks.
Much more impressive than the best Switchs on the market.
I have changed too many components at the same time, so that I can’t judge how big the contribution of the 2 Sonore modules are in my system. There was at the same time the 2 Ansuz Powerswitch and the LAN & USB cables.

I have changed too many components at the same time, so that I can’t judge how big the contribution of the 2 Sonore modules are in my system. There was at the same time the 2 Ansuz Powerswitch and the LAN & USB cables.
Yes usually it’s better to try one tweak at a Time.

Reactions: jasond
Looking to buy a Phoenix single mode glass fiber cable but what's the recommended minimum length for such a cable? I just recently switched from multimode to single mode but when I still had multimode FMC's there was u huge difference when I tried a 1 m and a 3 m plastic fiber cable in favor of the 3 m one.

Looking to buy a Phoenix single mode glass fiber cable but what's the recommended minimum length for such a cable? I just recently switched from multimode to single mode but when I still had multimode FMC's there was u huge difference when I tried a 1 m and a 3 m plastic fiber cable in favor of the 3 m one.
If you are experiencing these types of differences between short length cables in favor of the longer one, you most likely have a lot of reflection going on. For that reason I'm liking single mode APC cables best.
The slanted edge causes the reflections to be angled instead of straight going back into the cable. See also https://www.belden.com/blogs/upc-or-apc
Make sure your electronics can deal with the way smaller target size of single mode cables vs multimode...

Cheers, Hans.

@InfigoAudio Hans, what do you mean by "target" size? The SFP would be the entry point for the signal, and if the component accepts the SFP into its "cage" what concern?

We are talking speed of light, so the differences between 1meter and 3 meter are very small differences. I have used 1m, 3m and 15m. But quality cable, always.

Now, a difference between plastic and glass SQ? Perhaps. And maybe to do with the quality of the connectors and that alignment, although the quality of the cable could be a factor too.

I know folks report SQ differences from MM to SM. Personally, I did not find a difference, but did leave the SM in place for some time, although I swapped in SFP+ transceivers for their theoretically "better" specs.

Hans, what do you mean by "target" size? The SFP would be the entry point for the signal, and if the component accepts the SFP into its "cage" what concern?
With target size I meant the ~8um diameter of single mode vs the 50 - 60+ um of multimode. Single mode requires a more precise optical system for that reason.

This is my current setup.

OI 09112022.jpg
This is my current optical isolation "of-the-self" setup - see below.

Have been looking for a comparison with Sonore Optical Module - but no luck. Would it be wort spending 500€ on a Sonore Optical Module?

What would the best SFP for this setup?

THX
Torben

There are a number of people that prefer the LINN with a fibre optics setup you are trying to establish. (btw: are you already using Organik in the LINN?).
Regarding comparing a generic fibre media converter to the Sonore Optical Module Deluxe V2 there is definitely a difference! Just have a look at the components being used (better clock, less noise etc.). Concerning the SFPs used, well that is "fine tuning" I'd say. Just have a short chat with Sonore or Small Green Computer or Metawave, they all will assist you in selecting the best price/performance match for your system including the Cisco/Meraki. And finally the power supply used also has an impact. If you can get a used ifi iPower iElite or Farad Super3 that's both great for sure. Otherwise that's also something you can change/update at some point later too if you decide to improve sound quality.

Reactions: TRHH
@jasond - THX.

The strange thing is, if you ask in another forum, you do get a complet opposite feedback:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing