For what it's Worth-Tesla

That's what I have. Grid connected solar on my roof and not an EV. I have solar for environmental responsibility, and since 2016 I drive a small and light ICE car (Nissan Versa SE) with great gas mileage, also for reasons of environmental responsibility -- and wow, is it fun to drive!

At this point I don't think it makes sense to me to switch to EV based on environmental considerations, for all the reasons you have mentioned.

Making the new car costs tremendous energy, and I'll drive mine until it's dead.
Al

Like you I have a large grid on my roof and make enough solar to satisfy home needs as well as enough to charge both cars. I have yet to have an electric bill in over 5 years now. Im looking finally to add batteries in my garage which will for sure keep me off the grid. I've stated here many times that my goal might be different than others as our utility company (SDGE) is the most expensive in their nation. On peak cost is $0.62/kwh

Reactions: andromedaaudio
In the Netherlands EV’s are going to have to pay road tax from 2025 onwards and justly so. Because of their weight, the price can be double to their gasoline equivalents. Still… we are told there is no way back.

In the Netherlands EV’s are going to have to pay road tax from 2025 onwards and justly so. Because of their weight, the price can be double to their gasoline equivalents. Still… we are told there is no way back.

I think im gonna stay in belgium ;) .
Although its not perfect either , at least i can drive 120 km/h during the day :)

Ps I m gonna have another look tomorrow at both cars , but i might go for the BMW IX1 , i like the higher seats added space , the interiour is also more luxurious .
The tesla M3 is rear wheel drive / lighter and charges faster / more range also a great driving car

Gasoline Prices
Beverly Hills, California
August 25, 2023

IMG_8358.jpeg

That's the only gas station in Downtown Beverly Hills.

For cheaper gas one must go West to the next city, West Hollywood, about 3 miles away. Premium is only $.44 cheaper.

IMG_8360.jpeg

My wage has gone from $55 and hour to $170 and hour in the time gas went from $3 to $5.50. Gas is dirt cheap.

That's the only gas station in Downtown Beverly Hills.

For cheaper gas one must go West to the next city, West Hollywood, about 3 miles away. Premium is only $.44 cheaper.

View attachment 115623
Ron, you are correct. Your "downtown" descriptor got me. There is cheaper gas within the city limits (barely).

its interesting you use the term downtown - having Midwest/rural roots I think of Main Street as downtown. I just asked my wife where downtown BH is, she thought a moment and said "probably the fountain at Rodeo, I suppose". We had a good laugh.

Thanks for the flashback!

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Good for you! Not everybody is as lucky as you.

I am not at all an anomaly Ron. What was your wage in 2000 vs 2023. What was gas in 2000 vs today.

Reactions: rob
Gas is.$3:70 at my parents home in VA. I wonder why its so expensive in Calif.

I wonder why its so expensive in Calif.

There is nothing to wonder about. The most basic research will reveal clearly why.

Gas is.$3:70 at my parents home in VA. I wonder why its so expensive in Calif.
Higher local and state tax in Cali. Just like other parts of the US local and state add tax. But I'm sure you know this.

I'm in MT traveling and gas here is close to $5.00. Was in Alaska a month or so ago and saw gas near $5.50. Now this is premium. Gas in my home town is around $3.50. I remember growing up my dad complaining that gas was $0.65. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Williams
I'm in MT traveling and gas here is close to $5.00. Was in Alaska a month or so ago and saw gas near $5.50. Now this is premium. Gas in my home town is around $3.50. I remember growing up my dad complaining that gas was $0.65. :)
and when our kids tell us it is over $10/gallon we can say, "I remember when it was $6.50 per gallon";)

Reactions: bryans

Regular gas in my town on the Massachusetts Northshore is about 3.80. Not too bad.

Reactions: Steve Williams
New company lease car , HJ goes electric estimated delivery feb. 2024
IX1 Xdrive 30 sapphire black . darkened windows , M adaptive suspension ;) .
313 HP 494 Nm torque .
I liked the Tesla M3 , Y as well ,but you sit lower and the interiour is very minimalistic.
I love the torque electric cars deliver and the quitness.
Model S was out of my company car budget .
I love the Model S plaid as well 1020 HP for 133000 euros ( 500 K hypercar performance) :cool:

1693496532675.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing