Forget it Jake, it's Audiophile

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Yes but thats a feeling , its some kind of emotional click you get when the music is playing .
Its an emotional thing its the only way listening to music makes sense to me
To my ears i have succeeded ( others might think differently off course ) .

Its a feeling
The ear/brain system has a variety of tipping points. One of them is where the music processing, normally done in the limbic centers, is transferred to the cerebral cortex. This happens seamlessly when the brain is finding something 'not right' and so becomes more analytical. IME when the system is doing its job right, the music has a more emotionally involving nature, foot tapping and the like, because the limbic centers are doing the processing the way it should be.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Music needs to make me relax , slow / forget time a little .
It doesnt have to be a very expensive system by the way .
I can make a second hand system now with 40-50 K secondhand and never look back .
A mix of new and old

Last edited:

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I can make a second hand system now with 40-50 K secondhand and never look back .
A mix of new and old
All the system needs is proper bandwidth and a distortion signature that is innocuous and not annoying. If it can do that with detail, it will work.

A guilty pleasure of mine is to put on tunes after I get home from work; despite the volume (more than conversational level) I find it very relaxing and easy to nap to. If its bright and harsh there's no way...

Reactions: andromedaaudio

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
A mix of new and old
Interesting
although at times music relaxes me, fat more often I find it stimulates me cerebrally
live concerts I come out all tingling and inspired

good audio systems I am expecting something not far removed

I could never consider B?ch chaconne from the 2nd violin partita sleepy, but intense

however it’s damn annoying if harsh , to me natural sound has nothing to do with relaxation other than that part of the brain saying yes this sounds good don’t worry :)

Reactions: morricab and PeterA

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
however it’s damn annoying if harsh , to me natural sound has nothing to do with relaxation other than that part of the brain saying yes this sounds good don’t worry :)
May be i should have said a good system makes you concentrate on the music .
When thats the case you can relax .
if its not the case one can start swapping cables/ gear .. audio-pile

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) That's inaccurate and a misrepresentation of facts! Peter experienced what's possible and how "natural" and realistic music reproduction can be, nothing to do with how he perceives music.

As I have expressed several times and many scholars explained perception of music (live and reproduction ) also comes through education. As a mentor you strongly influenced him.

No relevance to the topic but I can repeat it again. I heard it for the first time with the Lamm ML2 and L1, the phrase/term "natural" came from Vladimir and it was immediately clear what it meant. IME the people who oppose the term or are either confused by it have never achieved or heard it in a system!

No, IMHO it is very relevant. Although he does not refer directly to Natural Sound (TM) in his interviews he explains that his electronics are designed upon a mathematical model of human hearing mechanism he has developed - I even read in reviews Vladimir Lamm said he does not need to listen to his creations to know how they sound.

Again you misrepresent and make it sound as if this is the Manchurian Candidate! You have a lot of opinions about a system you haven't heard or a place you haven't been to!

david

You are the one misrepresenting posts. I never gave an opinion about your and Peter systems. Just learned from reading his words about your system and how it influenced him.

My main experience in this field is playing with a lot of Lamm gear.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
May be i should have said a good system makes you concentrate on the music .
When thats the case you can relax .
if its not the case one can start swapping cables/ gear .. audio-pile

The word concentrate to me implies work or effort. I think a good system makes one experience the music or feel the music or get lost in the music. Jim Smith said the goal should be to think about the listening session the next day.

I am enjoying this discussion and reading about what fellow members value about the music listening experience. The differences are fascinating and the language of how we describe this is what I think Tim and Karen are after.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) To me a system is natural if its able to convey the artists intention , whatever music it is

Who are the artists to you? Do you include the producer/recording and mastering engineer in the list?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
A mix of new and old
What you need is a refurbished Musical fidelity david amp, a Triangle comete speaker,a Thorens td 320 turntable with with a old technics mm
Epc 205 catrtridge and a teac x1s cd player. You can buy it used all for 4k€.
You don't need more for good music its sound so amazing, i can live with this system to my life ends. Exsample newer amp

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
No
The one who wrote the music

The composer’s intent comes to us, the listeners, through the interpretation and translation and creation of everyone in between. That is why I am simply trying to get a similar experience from my system that I hear from the concert hall.

That still leaves the recording engineers in between and the people making the records or the people writing the code for the streamers and very importantly, the designers of our gear and the people setting it up.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The composer’s intent comes to us, the listeners, through the interpretation and translation and creation of everyone in between. That is why I am simply trying to get a similar experience from my system that I hear from the concert hall.

That still leaves the recording engineers in between and the people making the records or the people writing the code for the streamers and very importantly, the designers of our gear and the people setting it up.
Thats why i want a system thats getting out of the way so it can reveal the musical message .
That also incl minimised imprint of producers mixers gear and room in a ideal world
The music creator is real the artist

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
If its bright and harsh there's no way...
Have you tried measuring the in-room response that you find "bright & harsh"?

I was curious and actually did measure with the help of a friend. We inserted a little dsp between dac & server and listened to a contemporary Bach recording (Cafe Zimmermann). What I found particularly objectionable was a lift -- vs. the 100Hz ref -- in the 4-6kHz region, even 1 dB was annoying.
(The recording is fine, we used the dsp to experiment!)
Of course there is nothing scientific about this ;)

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Thats why i want a system thats getting out of the way so it can reveal the musical message .
That also incl minimised imprint of producers mixers gear and room in a ideal world
Most systems impart artefacts, a reasonable pursuit IMO is to reach a point where these artefacts are unobtrusive (or imperceptible)
The music creator is real the artist
Agreed. However, our connection to the musicians comes via the dual filters of recording & mastering.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Have you tried measuring the in-room response that you find "bright & harsh"?

I was curious and actually did measure with the help of a friend. We inserted a little dsp between dac & server and listened to a contemporary Bach recording (Cafe Zimmermann). What I found particularly objectionable was a lift -- vs. the 100Hz ref -- in the 4-6kHz region, even 1 dB was annoying.
(The recording is fine, we used the dsp to experiment!)
Of course there is nothing scientific about this ;)

Could we take discussion of dsp/room correction to its own thread, please.
Thank you.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Could we take discussion of dsp/room correction to its own thread, please.
Thank you.
TIma, it's not about room correction at all.
It is about trying to correlate a measurement with what makes music sound "harsh & bright & objectionable" to my ears .
In my case it's a FR bump in the 4-6kHz region. (The dsp is not the protagonist, it's a tool)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing