Franken-Studer...

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Rich Brown paid a visit to my music room yesterday. We tried Nagra T Audio direct head wired with three different tape head preamps: the Manley Tape Head Preamp (stock), Marantz 7 (stock), and the KingCello .75 (the usual magical touch applied by C. King himself). It was fun to have Rich back in the greater NW area where there’s “tape civilization” and the new music (tapes) he had brought with him was always a treat.

It was interesting for me to know that each preamps had strengths and weaknesses but in general all three sounded good to me with KC.75 coming out ahead of the rest. (I know you all want to know the sonic difference details but I have other motive…) One thing I know for certain is that when one uses an outboard tape head preamp, one must make adjustments if you plan to use different machine than it was originally configured since no two heads from different companies will behave the same way.

But then after Rich had left the house, I got to thinking about the possibility of Franken-Studer that I had been mentioning to few other tapeheads before. Using the ultimate tape transport, Studer A820 and its repro head, what if I drive an updated A80 repro preamps in its own outboard rack or even further - drive a pair of Ampex 351 tube preamps (this set up will need head input setup transformers)?

One of my concerns with modern tape head preamps that are available for purchase today had been their lack of bass adjustments to overcome the tape head bump in the low frequency. The other issue is if users make any HF adjustments made for one EQ would affect both IEC and NAB EQ whether intended or not. In general the head bump is a pleasant thing especially playing tapes with almost no bass information (CCR tapes from the 70’s for one), but it is not natural. (The Manley preamp has a switch for adding bass up to +4dB without changing the LF adjustment setting- nice touch.)

The A80 repro card has two independent output level, treble, and bass adjustments that can be configured for 15 ips NAB and 15 ips IEC- although the switch function was meant for Slow and Fast speed selection and for changing associated EQ settings.

I have too many unfinished projects but will keep you updated with the progress - if I can escape from the promises I had made to friends and the usual holiday honey-do’s...

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Ki,

I had most of the necessary caps to re-do the A820 boards,but looking at them,there was no way I wanted to change them from stock. Studer boards look like works of art,plus as you know my machine is a MKII so I don't won't to do anything that might ruin the resale value.

The only thing I would wan't to accomplish is to have a tube preamp option for my Studer and not having a set of Ampex 351's would give me a good excuse to have a set for the big Studer. Below is a response from Greg Orton when I was thinking about using a set of 440 electronics to mate with the Studer:

"The 440 heads (record and play) are 4 to 5 mhy. The A820 heads are 10 mhy for the record and 200 mhy for the play. The A820 record head may work with the 440 electronics. You would need to remove the head input transformer from the 440 playback card and use a low capacity head cable for the A820 play head to work with the 440 electronics. The 440 erase head is approximately 1 mhy and the A820 is .2 mhy. The 440 electronics cannot handle the current required to drive the .2 mhy head."

As I said I would prefer a tube preamp and I really don't want to go with a custom playback head either. This would be a great project if it could be done. Right now I'm waiting on George at Athan to finish my MR70 capstan motor and finishing that restoration is first priority but at some future point the A820 preamp will be a project for me.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Roger:

I would agree not to molest your A820 Mk II's electronics. However, if I do add a preamp to mine, it would be only for Repro functions. It is just my opinion but record capabilities is good enough with stock setup. If it was good for the major record labels, it's good enough for me.

The Flux Magnetic Extended Frequency Range repro head you can get from John French is very nice. I may consider going to it for one of my A820 headblocks if the Franken-Studer project materializes.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger:

I would agree not to molest your A820 Mk II's electronics. However, if I do add a preamp to mine, it would be only for Repro functions. It is just my opinion but record capabilities is good enough with stock setup. If it was good for the major record labels, it's good enough for me.

The Flux Magnetic Extended Frequency Range repro head you can get from John French is very nice. I may consider going to it for one of my A820 headblocks if the Franken-Studer project materializes.

Ki, I agree one hundred percent. I need to try a ME head probably for my Ampex 350. I am interested in your progress,thanks for posting.

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Visit to the studer museum

It was a fun visit to Ki's fabulous sound room. The new MBL amps and speaker position made a dramatic improvement in sound since my last visit in June. We both agreed on the relative merits of the 3 tape head preamps. I'm going to bring my full blown King/Cello 1.0 version on my next trip and we will do some measurements and listening to all 4 preamps. It should be a major tape session. Hope to have at least 3 of the 5 Pacific NW tape members present for that meeting :)
The mint Telefunken M15A and Studer C-37 were proudly<?> displayed. Looking forward to seeing the C37 project complete. That might take a while- what a beast!

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Ki-

Found this some time back, and further searching will turn up more info on the project:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/241631/0/

Only lack of time has prevented me from trying to mate 354 electronics with my own A80VU, but according to comments on the above thread (and others) it might be a worthwhile project.

BTW, the ProSoundWeb site is full of all sorts of juicy tape photos/topics, you just have to dig a bit.

Rgs,
Tom

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Thanks Tom for the link. It is impressive for an amature to see how pros did it back when I was just a reel-to-reel newbie in tape diper. I'm sure Bruce would appreciate the discussions more but I sure did enjoy the photos of the lusty machines.

Happy Holidays!

Ki

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
The Flux Magnetic Extended Frequency Range repro head you can get from John French is very nice. I may consider going to it for one of my A820 headblocks...

I'm considering this option as well on one or two headstacks, i.e., quarter-inch and/or half-inch.

Season's Greetings! :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing