Goldmund Mimesis Reference / Telos 8800 vs Audio Note Kondo G1000i / Kagura 2i

TLi

May 27, 2016
Last month, after comparing CH Precision L10/M10 with Kondo, a full set of flagship Goldmund preamp and power amps were placed in my music room.

First, my thanks go to Fung Ning Audio Hong Kong, the local Goldmund dealer, for moving this massive combos which weigh over 1200 pounds to my place. It required at least seven men to safely transport the system.

The Goldmund Mimesis Reference is the latest top model and I was told there is significant improvement over the previous flagship model. My sample is completely new, but it doesn't sound harsh, it is warm and mellow. I know there will be more to come after playing for sometime.

Telos 8800 is a upgraded model of 5500 both in terms of performance and size. The size of a pair of 8800 is phenomenal. Don't let the size misled you can they sound powerful and rough, quite the opposite, they sounds smooth and dedicate. Of course, there is massive power in reserve but it never get out of control. Everything is well measured and tuned.

The preamp is being run 24/7 now. I shall leave it for a few days and compare the set with Kondo again. So far, I am very happy with Goldmund. Stay tuned. IMG_3721.JPG IMG_3724.JPG IMG_3725.JPG

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Those are some huge amps!

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
The size and weight of those amp’s…..

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Last month, after comparing CH Precision L10/M10 with Kondo, a full set of flagship Goldmund preamp and power amps were placed in my music room.

First, my thanks go to Fung Ning Audio Hong Kong, the local Goldmund dealer, for moving this massive combos which weigh over 1200 pounds to my place. It required at least seven men to safely transport the system.

The Goldmund Mimesis Reference is the latest top model and I was told there is significant improvement over the previous flagship model. My sample is completely new, but it doesn't sound harsh, it is warm and mellow. I know there will be more to come after playing for sometime.

Telos 8800 is a upgraded model of 5500 both in terms of performance and size. The size of a pair of 8800 is phenomenal. Don't let the size misled you can they sound powerful and rough, quite the opposite, they sounds smooth and dedicate. Of course, there is massive power in reserve but it never get out of control. Everything is well measured and tuned.

The preamp is being run 24/7 now. I shall leave it for a few days and compare the set with Kondo again. So far, I am very happy with Goldmund. Stay tuned. View attachment 122858 View attachment 122859 View attachment 122860
Congratulations TLi, very very special, I do hope you have these for some 30 yrs plus, just as I have had my reference TT and still learning from it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow! Congrats! Look forward to reading about them as they start to settle in! Particularly intrigued to read how you compare them with the Kondo sound and the CH10 Series sound in your system. Enjoy.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

The preamp is being run 24/7 now. I shall leave it for a few days and compare the set with Kondo again. So far, I am very happy with Goldmund. Stay tuned. View attachment 122858 View attachment 122859 View attachment 122860
A very interesting comparison. I have never heard these massive Goldmund amps but I am very familiar with your Kondo g-1000i and Kagura amps because I own the latter combination myself for quite some years now. Your comparison seems to imply that you are not completely happy with the Kondo’s. If that is indeed the case, what are you missing exactly? Or is it maybe the (not ideal?) combination with your Magico loudspeakers? I am combining my Kondo amplification with relatively high sensitive (albeit non horn) loudspeakers - the Tidal La Assoluta’s - with an easy impedance curve that does not drop below 4 ohms.

Due to its massive size these Goldmund amps are likely a completely different world: undoubtedly they will have more power and command. But can they - with their alumium chassis and large number of components inside - sound as pure and non mechanical as the Kondo’s (with their copper chassis, single ended (and therefore rather ‘simple’) topology and internal silver windings)? Interesting to hear your experiences in this regard.

Btw, top notch grounding will make the Kondo’s much faster and much more transparent. But that is of course a different ‘story‘.

Last edited:

TLi

May 27, 2016
After running continuously for three days, there is very noticeable improvement in performance. I moved the amplifiers around so as to get a better sound stage. The Telos 8800's are so large that they affect the soundstage, careful placement is needed to minimize their effect.

As for the sound, there is the signature Goldmund presentation. The treble is light and dedicate, the midrange is smooth and warm, bass is powerful and fast. When compared with Audio Note Kondo, they are neck to neck. Kondo still has the upper hand in the midrange but the power and bass authority is certainly better with Goldmund. Both are top of line products, they hold up very well to comparison. It is just a matter of personal preference to decide which one to take. goldmund.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
TLi treated me with music the whole afternoon in his den today.
Thanks Thomas!

The Goldmund Mimesis Reference Preamp & 8800 monoblocks were both eye- & ear-catching!

BTW for such flagship grade components, fine-tuning & tweakings are essential for them to express their full potential.

For example, all Goldmund electrical components got earth & signal grounding posts.
When the Ref Preamp and 8800 monoblocks were grounded to the Tripoint Audio Troy Signature groundbox, the sonic performance was given a significant leap.
;)
IMG_20240107_170155.jpg

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Many thanks for sharing your impressions. Could you please share your impressions vs the CHP amps you had? Are the Goldmund amps warmer in the mids with better bass? Have been told that Goldmund amps require long break-in and also benefit from being left on all the time. Are the power amps sitting directly on floor? Looking forward to further updates. Many thanks. Enjoy

TLi

May 27, 2016
Many thanks for sharing your impressions. Could you please share your impressions vs the CHP amps you had? Are the Goldmund amps warmer in the mids with better bass? Have been told that Goldmund amps require long break-in and also benefit from being left on all the time. Are the power amps sitting directly on floor? Looking forward to further updates. Many thanks. Enjoy
Last month I spent around 10 days with a set of CH Precision L10 and M10 monoblocks in my music room. It was quite an experience. Although I have a CH Precision P10 as phono but I don't really familiar with the adjustability of CH Precision equipment, not until I had L10 / M10. There are gain and feedback adjustment in most CH Precision that produce very different sound. As you can see with phono, preamp and power amp all CH Precision, the combination possible with various parameters are astonormetical. One has to send a lot of time to experiment different setting to get to his preference.

For Goldmund, there is zero adjustment needed. The only thing you do is to turn it on and off. They recommend you keep it on all the time, so even the power switch doesn't need to be touched. You just need to play the music and you are rewarded with some of the best sound available.

My impression of the difference between CH Precision and Goldmund flagship models is
a) the bass resolution and control is better with CH Precision, not to say the bass of Goldmund is no good, they are very different. Deep bass in subwoofer region is stronger with CH Precision and while mid bass is more powerful with Goldmund.
b) the midrange is clearly warmer with Goldmund. This is their signature sound. Many use Goldmund because of this midrange. In comparison, CH Precision is plain and direct, not to say their midrange is harsh, some actually say it is accurate but certainly not as present and tube like as Goldmund.
c) the treble is also quite different. Goldmund highs appears higher because it is light and dedicate. CH Precision is honest and unremarkable.

After using both brands, it is not difficult to see the difference in design philosophy. Goldmund sets everything which they think is the best for the customers and let them use it as it is. CH Precision allows every parameter to be adjusted by customers after they listen to it. Some people say it is like Ferrari and Porsche. Both are good cars but are for very different customers.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Last month I spent around 10 days with a set of CH Precision L10 and M10 monoblocks in my music room. It was quite an experience. Although I have a CH Precision P10 as phono but I don't really familiar with the adjustability of CH Precision equipment, not until I had L10 / M10. There are gain and feedback adjustment in most CH Precision that produce very different sound. As you can see with phono, preamp and power amp all CH Precision, the combination possible with various parameters are astonormetical. One has to send a lot of time to experiment different setting to get to his preference.

For Goldmund, there is zero adjustment needed. The only thing you do is to turn it on and off. They recommend you keep it on all the time, so even the power switch doesn't need to be touched. You just need to play the music and you are rewarded with some of the best sound available.

My impression of the difference between CH Precision and Goldmund flagship models is
a) the bass resolution and control is better with CH Precision, not to say the bass of Goldmund is no good, they are very different. Deep bass in subwoofer region is stronger with CH Precision and while mid bass is more powerful with Goldmund.
b) the midrange is clearly warmer with Goldmund. This is their signature sound. Many use Goldmund because of this midrange. In comparison, CH Precision is plain and direct, not to say their midrange is harsh, some actually say it is accurate but certainly not as present and tube like as Goldmund.
c) the treble is also quite different. Goldmund highs appears higher because it is light and dedicate. CH Precision is honest and unremarkable.

After using both brands, it is not difficult to see the difference in design philosophy. Goldmund sets everything which they think is the best for the customers and let them use it as it is. CH Precision allows every parameter to be adjusted by customers after they listen to it. Some people say it is like Ferrari and Porsche. Both are good cars but are for very different customers.

Thank you so so much for taking the time to provide such detailed and helpful feedback. From your description I would be more in the Goldmund camp. I suspect the deep bass of Goldmund will improve further as they break-in more. Midrange is key as for me so many SS amps just don't get it right. Have fun with these giant amps....both physically and sonically. Many thanks

Reactions: tipunch and TLi

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you so so much for taking the time to provide such detailed and helpful feedback. From your description I would be more in the Goldmund camp.
even the Vitus SM102 sounded better than the Kagura on Magico ((irc it was S5 mk2) in a direct compare at Rhapsody many years ago. I personally don’t get how Kondo on Magico could sound remotely good, even on midrange, or should be used as a reference for other amps on this speaker.

Reactions: Hessec

tipunch

Jul 3, 2020
Switzerland
Thank you so so much for taking the time to provide such detailed and helpful feedback. From your description I would be more in the Goldmund camp. I suspect the deep bass of Goldmund will improve further as they break-in more. Midrange is key as for me so many SS amps just don't get it right. Have fun with these giant amps....both physically and sonically. Many thanks
My opinion is that the music is mainly to be found more in the midrange than in the (infra)bass... so more in the Goldmund camp;)
But I'm sure it'll take a few weeks to break in these monsters before have a definitive opinion on the bass!
In any case, I wish you much pleasure with these dream systems!!!

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
My opinion is that the music is mainly to be found more in the midrange than in the (infra)bass... so more in the Goldmund camp;)
But I'm sure it'll take a few weeks to break in these monsters before have a definitive opinion on the bass!
In any case, I wish you much pleasure with these dream systems!!!

Bass performance impacts the midrange and of course affects Timbre .

Regards

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Your
even the Vitus SM102 sounded better than the Kagura on Magico ((irc it was S5 mk2) in a direct compare at Rhapsody many years ago. I personally don’t get how Kondo on Magico could sound remotely good, even on midrange, or should be used as a reference for other amps on this speaker.

Your “Reference” can be anything , as your youtube iphone videos prove ..

Regards

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
yes, bass is very very important, without right bass there is no high end sound.

I love Kondo but I think kondo should be connected to horns or super high efficiency (over 95db) DD speakers

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I haven’t heard these big Goldmund amps but I heard almost all big Goldmund monos over the years. None of them sounding good though. If I have to describe Goldmund sound cardboard pops in my mind. I prefer Vitus or Absolare SS instead but that’s just me. If you’re switching from Kondo or another top SET amp to Goldmund or Gryphon that means you shouldn’t have Kondo in the first place. It takes time to appreciate SET sound. When you reach Kondo or top SET amp level the thing to do is looking for a matching coherent speaker, not the other way around. Again it’s just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing