Good mid-price audiophile switches

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Has anyone managed to compare these new switches (LHY & EDISCREATION) against the sotm switches ?
I currently use two sotm in it system and wondering if the Ediscreation or LHY sw10 would be an upgrade over them.
I don't think a single switch will be an upgrade over your 2 SOTM, however I think if you take the Ediscreation switch + Ediscreation fiberbox in tandem, it might better your two switches mostly because of the fiberbox. If you want to push things further, consider the two with external LPSU.
I would keep your two sotm and just order the fiberbox. It brings something different than the switch. I think you'd be very happy with it.

Last edited:

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I would keep your two sotm and just order the fiberbox. It brings something different than the switch. I think you'd be very happy with it.
I don't think a Fiberbox would be better than single-mode optical cable and a pair of good quality SFP's with the SOtM switches. Both provide galvanic isolation, but adding fiber to the SOtM switches eliminates two runs of ethernet cable.

SOtM switch > s-m fiber > SOtM switch
vs.
SOtM switch > ethernet > Fiberbox > ethernet > SOtM switch

Last edited:

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I don't think a Fiberbox would be better than single-mode optical cable and a pair of good quality SFP's with the SOtM switches.
maybe - maybe not - have you tried it?
The fiberbox uses a good quality power supply and clock (among other things) which I think makes a difference vs regular sfp's.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
maybe - maybe not - have you tried it?
The fiberbox uses a good quality power supply and clock (among other things) which I think makes a difference vs regular sfp's.
Sorry, I edited my post to explain my reasoning while you were composing.
The SOtM switches do allow PSU upgrades.

vs.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Sorry, I edited my post to explain my reasoning while you were composing.
The SOtM switches do allow PSU upgrades.

vs.
No worries )
I don't know the sotm switches, you can connect them together by fiber?
My setup is lspu on isp router > ediscreation fiberbox > ediscreation switch > equipments (roon core / dac)
I tried the fiberbox after and preferred it in this order (upstream).
For me the fiberbox addition was huge and a much bigger improvement than the switch.
The fiberbox was really a godsend for my system, it really brought everything together.

In his case it would be:
ISP router > fiberbox> sotm1>sotm2

I think @CKKeung had both sotm and ediscreation switches and maybe can comment

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
No worries )
I don't know the sotm switches, you can connect them together by fiber?
Yes, SOtM switches contain fiber ports, just need an SFP.
My setup is lspu on isp router > ediscreation fiberbox > ediscreation switch > equipments (roon core / dac)
But you omitted the ethernet cables. As I understand it, inside a Fiberbox there two ethernet-to-fiber conversions, with a short optical cable in between. There are two benefits to fiber conversion:
1. 100% galvanic isolation between the sender and receiver
2. Fiber optic cable is completely immune to RFI and EMI, ethernet cable is not. This benefit increases with cable length.

To clarify, your setup requires two additional ethernet cables compared to a fiber- optic SOtM system.
Router > ethernet cable > ediscreation fiberbox > ethernet cable > ediscreation switch
Versus:
Router > ethernet cable > SOtM switch > single-mode fiber > SOtM switch

You have a great system no doubt, however if I owned two SOtM switches, I would work with that system rather than add a Fiberbox.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Yes, SOtM switches contain fiber ports, just need an SFP.

But you omitted the ethernet cables. As I understand it, inside a Fiberbox there two ethernet-to-fiber conversions, with a short optical cable in between. There are two benefits to fiber conversion:
1. 100% galvanic isolation between the sender and receiver
2. Fiber optic cable is completely immune to RFI and EMI, ethernet cable is not. This benefit increases with cable length.

To clarify, your setup requires two additional ethernet cables compared to a fiber- optic SOtM system.
Router > ethernet cable > ediscreation fiberbox > ethernet cable > ediscreation switch
Versus:
Router > ethernet cable > SOtM switch > single-mode fiber > SOtM switch

You have a great system no doubt, however if I owned two SOtM switches, I would work with that system rather than add a Fiberbox.
Yes, then I guess working with a better lpsu, dc cables and a clock makes more sense with the SOtM.
Adding ethernet cables is not necessarily a bad thing, I added two pink faun cables and I like the refinement that they brought.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Well deserved x2

highlly_recommended_product.png Best_buy_award.png

Reactions: Happily Trying

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Picked up FiberBox2 in Hong Kong few days ago and looking FW to add it into the mix :cool:
76C9C25E-903C-4D5D-8A71-113FFA819E43.jpeg

jeremya

Oct 30, 2013
Redmond, WA
www.hififoundations.com
For what it's worth, I've really been enjoying my Synergistic Research Ethernet Switch UEF.

It's a tad more expensive than the Extreme version of the Ediscreation switch (which I haven't had the pleasure of hearing), but I'd say it still falls in the "mid-priced" switch category, perhaps at the upper end of the middle?

ETM Review: Synergistic Research Ethernet Switch UEF, Foundation Ethernet Cable, Active Ground Block SE, And Purple Fuses Review Speed dating into the world of streaming and beyond.... Review By Rick Becker (enjoythemusic.com)

Rick's comment "I have to say this is the first streaming application that makes me even consider streaming as a possibility." resonates with my own experience. The SR Switch UEF quickly replaced an EtherRegen (v1) in my system. At the time I felt it was "a slam dunk."

Since then, I've added a QSA LANEDRI Gamma Infinity LAN cable and streaming RedBook audio actually sounds better than (ostensibly the same) files I've got stored locally on my music server (a DIY Extreme that is connected directly to my DAC). It sounds so much better, in fact, that I'm now inclined to copy my local music back onto my decidedly un-audiophile NAS (a Synology DS1513+ with a pile of Seagate EXOS spinners in it) rather than staging it on the music server for direct playback. Go figure!

Anyway, I hadn't seen much about it on WBF and that surprised me given its pedigree and its time in the market. Does anyone else have experience with the SR UEF Switch they'd like to share?

Manufacturer page: Ethernet Switch UEF - Synergistic Research

Reactions: QuadDiffuser

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
Reactions: Pokey77

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hows the fiberbox working for you?
Very very happy with the results....actually was listening yesterday night and I was like woow - entire chain never sounded better. It somehow cleaned everything additionally so the background is not pitch "black" so everything stands out now in its full glory and bloom if I may say so...
Very worthwhile addition to the digital chain and Edison did a great job indeed.

P.S. If someone told me I'll write this down 6 months ago I would tell him he's nuts

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Very very happy with the results....actually was listening yesterday night and I was like woow - entire chain never sounded better. It somehow cleaned everything additionally so the background is not pitch "black" so everything stands out now in its full glory and bloom if I may say so...
Very worthwhile addition to the digital chain and Edison did a great job indeed.

P.S. If someone told me I'll write this down 6 months ago I would tell him he's nuts
I recently upgraded from the standard version of EdisCreation Silent Switch and FiberBoxII to the Extreme DC version powered by the FireBird LPS. I am using Edison’s standard DC cables which came with the unit, which I am upgrading. In the past in comparing recordings on my SSD in my server to Qobuz the SSD was superior. Now the streaming recordings are superior. There is better dynamics and punch to the music, also a bit more extension and depth to the sound. I am still using the standard versions but upstream in another part of my home from my router. They replaced an EtherRegen switch.

mageak

Jan 3, 2022
i put 1 ultra 5 stillpoint under my bonn n8 and it increased my system quite alot for any bonn n8 users

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
I recently upgraded from the standard version of EdisCreation Silent Switch and FiberBoxII to the Extreme DC version powered by the FireBird LPS. I am using Edison’s standard DC cables which came with the unit, which I am upgrading. In the past in comparing recordings on my SSD in my server to Qobuz the SSD was superior. Now the streaming recordings are superior. There is better dynamics and punch to the music, also a bit more extension and depth to the sound. I am still using the standard versions but upstream in another part of my home from my router. They replaced an EtherRegen switch.
I just replaced Edison’s standard dc cables with Audio Sensibility Statement SE with the Oyaide connectors.There was an immediate improvement in dynamics and clarity. Well worth the upgrade. Edison also just released an upgraded DC cable.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Reactions: msimanyi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing