SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

Reg19

Jun 6, 2021
I finally had a chance to compare the Cisco SFP-10G-AOC5M directly to the Finisar FCBG110SD1C05. This could be system dependent, but the Cisco beat the Finisar. Comparatively, the Finisar is quite a bit brighter/thinner sounding. The Cisco is much more dense, solid, smooth and every bit as detailed and transparent. Cisco has a much higher realism factor. It really was no contest for me. It is surprising how different they sound. I was quite happy with the Finisar FCBG110SD1C05, but there is no going back now.

I have a Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL burning in now. It connected my two daisy-chained SOtM 10G switches without any hiccups.
How is the 1318 when compared to the Cisco that you recommend?

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
How is the 1318 when compared to the Cisco that you recommend?

My thoughts are posted here:

Reg19

Jun 6, 2021
My thoughts are posted here:

Thanks!
Might I ask where you purchased the Cisco fiber / SFP?
The ‘regular’ places I looked they just had their clones and not the real thing.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Ebay, but yes, you need to look very carefully at the pics to confirm you are getting the real thing.

valicu2000

Aug 29, 2021
A bit offtopic here, I purchased a Mutec REF10 and tried to connect to one SOtM sNH-10G (75ohm with matching Sommer Cable) but it seems that it doesn't lock to the external clock, at least there's no audible difference. Shouldn't there be a visual indicator on the SOtM when locked on the external master clock?

Last edited:

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
Hello valicu2000,
if you look from the top of the SOtM sNH-10G you can see a green LED light blinking inside in one second rhythm.
With a correctly connected 10 MHz external clock a additional second green LED light starts left of the blinking light
to shine steady.
The problem with the Mutec Ref 10 is his square wave output. Its not a perfect match with the sine wave input of the
SOtM. But it should work nonetheless and you will find the second LED light.
The missmatch with the wave form is similar audible like a cabel impedance missmatch.

valicu2000

Aug 29, 2021
Hello valicu2000,
if you look from the top of the SOtM sNH-10G you can see a green LED light blinking inside in one second rhythm.
With a correctly connected 10 MHz external clock a additional second green LED light starts left of the blinking light
to shine steady.
The problem with the Mutec Ref 10 is his square wave output. Its not a perfect match with the sine wave input of the
SOtM. But it should work nonetheless and you will find the second LED light.
The missmatch with the wave form is similar audible like a cabel impedance missmatch.
Thank you very much @diaZ ! Today I've installed by myself the CLK input + firmware for a second sNH-10G switch and this one locks on the Mutec's clock (I have a solid green LED lit next to the blinking LED). The first switch was upgraded at the local dealer (I couldn't test it earlier) but I suspect that the firmware was not upgraded, I can't get a locking on the external clock, tried 3 different BNC cables.

Reactions: justubes

l_santista

Aug 5, 2023
more offtopic here, but I should try the mutec with my SotM ultra neo streamer tonight. @valicu2000 's message got me a bit worried no connection will be stabilished. Will see!

valicu2000

Aug 29, 2021
All good here, I've flashed the modified firmware on the 1st SOtM Ethernet switch and now I have 2x SOtM sNH-10G locked on Mutec REF10, both connected through a 0.5m single mode fiber and industrial FS.com transcievers. After the Mutec burn-in I will try connecting the switches with a higher grade ethernet cable ... some people like more the ethernet cable between switches, other like the galvanic isolation provided by fiber optic.

Reg19

Jun 6, 2021
Does the ‘external clock to sNH-10G’ approach help if (1) we’re feeding the DAC via USB (asynchronously) from streamer / renderer / reclocker, and (2) it is a decent DAC (Holo May Level or above) with a decent clock?

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Ebay, but yes, you need to look very carefully at the pics to confirm you are getting the real thing.
Yes, but comparing these 2 ads and prices, how do you discern if either/both are genuine? I did try to "look carefully" but, perhaps, I don't know the specific details to look for.

and

Totima

Jun 5, 2023
The Sotm sNH-10G I received was a 9 volt but I changed it up to 12 volt (optional via a simple internal change of a lug) and am now using a 12v Kingrex linear psu which I already had.

Sounds great. Beautiful balance and just brings a touch more musical flow and natural timbre with a nice upswing of lively punch to the dynamics as well. Happy with the investment of putting a switch in here.

Here is a review by Jay Luong recently on Audio Bacon. Nice rant at the very start on subjectivity and objectivity in reviewing... Jay is a fairly straight shooter.

https://audiobacon.net/2019/04/05/sotm-snh-10g-audiophile-ethernet-switch-review/amp/
By any chance do you have any more info on where you made the change from 9-12V? Was it an internal jumper that you changed? Think about doing this as well.

Reactions: velcro22

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
By any chance do you have any more info on where you made the change from 9-12V? Was it an internal jumper that you changed? Think about doing this as well.
Hi Totima,
Yes… it was just an internal jumper but it’s so long ago now I’d suggest you check in with Sotm to get confirmation that is till the procedure and a internal pic on which is the one and which way to change it.

valicu2000

Aug 29, 2021
Last edited:

libodao1977

Mar 11, 2024
HongKong
All good here, I've flashed the modified firmware on the 1st SOtM Ethernet switch and now I have 2x SOtM sNH-10G locked on Mutec REF10, both connected through a 0.5m single mode fiber and industrial FS.com transcievers. After the Mutec burn-in I will try connecting the switches with a higher grade ethernet cable ... some people like more the ethernet cable between switches, other like the galvanic isolation provided by fiber optic.
I would like to ask how to refresh the firmware of Sotm switch? Thank you so much!

valicu2000

Aug 29, 2021
Hello!

What do you mean by "refresh"? Do you have the firmware file and just want to rewrite it? I guess not ...
For the flashing operation you'll need:
- the Atmel Flip application: https://www.microchip.com/en-us/development-tool/flip
- a special USB cable (Type A at the PC end and a smaller connector at the SOtM switch .. in the picture above, look at the right side above "SEL1" text and below those 4 resistors there is a 4-pin connector)

For the firmware you need to contact SOtM (May is great at customer support: may.park@sotm-audio.com) and provide them the serial number located under that clock board. They charged me $100 for this operation. Optionally they can send you also the USB cable, clock IN connector and cable for some extra $.

Hope it helps,
Valentin

libodao1977

Mar 11, 2024
HongKong
Hello!

What do you mean by "refresh"? Do you have the firmware file and just want to rewrite it? I guess not ...
For the flashing operation you'll need:
- the Atmel Flip application: https://www.microchip.com/en-us/development-tool/flip
- a special USB cable (Type A at the PC end and a smaller connector at the SOtM switch .. in the picture above, look at the right side above "SEL1" text and below those 4 resistors there is a 4-pin connector)

For the firmware you need to contact SOtM (May is great at customer support: may.park@sotm-audio.com) and provide them the serial number located under that clock board. They charged me $100 for this operation. Optionally they can send you also the USB cable, clock IN connector and cable for some extra $.

Hope it helps,
Valentin
Thank you very much, the explanation is very clear, I will contact sotm.

lighthouse

Feb 6, 2024
Hong Kong
Hello!

Has anyone connected the "word-sync" output of MSB DAC to the clock input of Sotm SNH-10G? If so did you use 50ohm or 75ohm BNC cable? How does it sound with the clock synch?

Any experiences/suggestions will be appreciated!

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Has anyone connected the "word-sync" output of MSB DAC to the clock input of Sotm SNH-10G?

Sorry but that will not work. The “Word-Sync“ clock output of MSB’s S/PDIF interface is an audio-sample-rate rela frequency. The external clock input of the SOtM switch accepts only a 10.0MHz reference clock.

Reactions: shawnf

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing