Grimm MU1 vs Aurender N30SA vs Taiko Audio

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Ari from Aurender contacted me out of the blue. The MC10 clocks are shipping in app two weeks and one is coming my way. So, after we do this last demo we will make a decision.

Thanks Ari!

Last edited:

Skanda

May 2, 2020
awesome, thanks for the follow up. the extreme is quite a piece and your comments re clarus reflect what i'm hearing in my system as well.
what would make you choose taiko over n30sa or vice versa - curious since you mentioned both had positive attributes but that the extreme sound was preferred overall

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
awesome, thanks for the follow up. the extreme is quite a piece and your comments re clarus reflect what i'm hearing in my system as well.
what would make you choose taiko over n30sa or vice versa - curious since you mentioned both had positive attributes but that the extreme sound was preferred overall

I enjoy both the Taiko and the N30SA. They are both excellent! The sound with the Taiko was a little better to me. It had a wonderful soundstage and rich tonal sound. It is the sound I’m looking for.

This said, the N30SA is very very close. The MC10 (Time) may push it over the top - I don’t know. One thing I like about the N30SA is the easier process if something goes wrong. But on communicating with many here, including Emile, I feel Taiko will take care of me.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
yes that tone is what keeps bringing me back. i don't have much experience with aurender but with the taiko i know i'm getting a quality product. for what its worth i got my first extreme in 2020 right as everything was closing down and while tech support has shifted from just whatsapping emile to emailing support and stuff it's still very responsive and other than some issues with TAS and tidal (a problem from Tidal's end) I have never had any problems with my extreme. incidentally it was during one of those whatsapps that either emile or ed (my memory is failing me) told me i was probably the youngest extreme owner in the world haha - since i got it as a birthday gift for myself i thought that was a funny happenstance

I havent been to my other home since February so when I go back later this month I'll be curious to see if everything is still running smoothly and I am able to update to xdms etc. Not something I am terribly concerned about but usually leaving PC's off for so long can cause some weird behavior on initial reboot.

I had an xdms beta i never ended up using because the UI/work flow didnt work for my listening. if that has improved i will certainly be using it otherwise back to shitty roon.

Reactions: Audire

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
I enjoy both the Taiko and the N30SA. They are both excellent! The sound with the Taiko was a little better to me. It had a wonderful soundstage and rich tonal sound. It is the sound I’m looking for.

This said, the N30SA is very very close. The MC10 (Time) may push it over the top - I don’t know. One thing I like about the N30SA is the easier process if something goes wrong. But on communicating with many here, including Emile, I feel Taiko will take care of me.
Did the Extreme have XDMS installed or only Roon?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Reactions: Armsan

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
The one I auditioned only had Roon, no XDMS.
OK, so bellow the full SQ potential with XDMS, new network card and Switch. Have a listen, if possible, at this stage of the Extreme evolution.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
OK, so bellow the full SQ potential with XDMS, new network card and Switch. Have a listen, if possible, at this stage of the Extreme evolution.

From what I understand XDMS isn’t what I’d call “prime time” yet. Emile and company are still modifying it to sound its absolute best - which I believe they will do. From what I understand it is in the “beta” version still.

Reactions: Skanda

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
From what I understand XDMS isn’t what I’d call “prime time” yet. Emile and company are still modifying it to sound its absolute best - which I believe they will do. From what I understand it is in the “beta” version still.
Still in alpha I believe

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Central Florida - Orlando
Joe,
Tony sez that he couldn't pry those Clarus cables from your hands!
I have been wanting to audition a Taiko & Grimm also, but you are taking care of that for me.
Did you hook up the Taiko via fiber optics and SFPs?
It made a HUGE difference when I trialed a Lumin X1 with fiber optics.
I am playing with my new Horizon and Steve's tubes has brought me closer to musical nirvana.
And that is with an Aurender N-200
I have a Lumin U2 coming in for trial, having previously tried said X1 and found that the fiber optic connection made a huge difference.
I almost pulled the trigger on a great deal Aurender W20SE and missed, but they don't have fiber optics.
I really wish I could be there for your party.
Fred

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Joe,
Tony sez that he couldn't pry those Clarus cables from your hands!
I have been wanting to audition a Taiko & Grimm also, but you are taking care of that for me.
Did you hook up the Taiko via fiber optics and SFPs?
It made a HUGE difference when I trialed a Lumin X1 with fiber optics.
I am playing with my new Horizon and Steve's tubes has brought me closer to musical nirvana.
And that is with an Aurender N-200
I have a Lumin U2 coming in for trial, having previously tried said X1 and found that the fiber optic connection made a huge difference.
I almost pulled the trigger on a great deal Aurender W20SE and missed, but they don't have fiber optics.
I really wish I could be there for your party.
Fred

The Clarus Crimson are really good. Definitely worth a demo in any system. I’m still deciding between them and Shunyata Omega/Sigma. I’ll post a review of the Crimson soon. Though it will be excellent review, I may still select Shunyata. Not sure yet …

We don‘t have fiber where I’m at yet. It’s coming - probably 2 years away. But we may be moving. Hopefully find out this week. Dedicated Audio Room in new home to be built. HOA still has to approve it. Builder has built audio rooms in the past. He has all my specs….

Definitely don’t need a new DAC. Just selecting the new streamer now. It’s between the N30SA + MC-10 (Time) and the Taiko + Switch. The MU1 is good, but I’m down to the aforementioned two now. I’m receiving the Aurender MC-10 soon. I’ll post it’s review and my final decision when it arrives.

I wish you could be here as well. You’re welcome any time.

Reactions: Skanda

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Joe,
The fiber optic connection is a "must" be it in 2 months or 2 years. You will be glad you have it when it does become available in your hood. Imo, it would be the game changer between Taiko/Lumin versus Grimm/Aurender. Check out Emile's posts on SFPs in the Taiko forums. I already have the preferred SFPs & cabling, thanks to them and PumaCat.
You'll thank me later.
Wish I could come by, but things kinda busy right now.
Fred

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
It is somewhat off-topic but… I don’t know how it compares with a “full” fiber optic system, but the Ediscreation Fiber Box ii Extreme I installed last night is quite effective. Improvements are *not* subtle.

I assume it will continue to improve due to break in effects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
It’s is somewhat off-topic but… I don’t know how it compares with a “full” fiber optic system, but the Ediscreation Fiber Box ii Extreme I installed last night is quite effective. Improvements are *not* subtle.

I assume it will continue to improve due to break in effects.
Thanks for the heads up!
Where did you purchase it?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Check out Emile's posts on SFPs in the Taiko forums.
...most Extreme users have returned to Ethernet/copper into the Extreme or the new Taiko switch, FYI. The most recent guidance is DAC copper twin-coax input, switch to server.

Fiber usage can really be helpful to overall SQ, no doubt, but it depends on the system and usage. The other side of the fiber coin is additional power supplies and signal conversions.

I am not writing to dissuade the use of fiber optic infrastructure. I actually have FTTH and that is fiber ONLY for my audio. But it's converted to copper at the modem. At one point I had about 18" of copper in the audio network system, all else was fiber. It was terrific, but not the only solution that sounds great, IMO.

The rest of the house is on a different ISP copper service, so no traffic for audio destination.

Reactions: Armsan and Audire

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
I auditioned a Lumin X1 with ethernet on my EtherREGEN switch.
Then I converted over to FO using the PlanetTechUSA MGB-TLX SFPs and it made a huge improvement.
The only fiber connection using the SFP FO connection was between my switch and the streamer.
The fiber comes into the house and then converts over to ethernet, until my audio switch, then it is FO to the streamer.
It made a very noticeable improvement by just having that section in FO.
I had tried 4 other SFPs and these were the best sounding out of the bunch.
I purchased a SOtM switch and selling the EtherREGEN.
I am waiting on a Lumin U2 that accepts FO, which may arrive this week.
But the rest of my house is wired ethernet or Wi-Fi, on ATT GiG speed, the fastest available here.

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I liked those PlanetTech SFPs too. Very smooth, as I recall. I also liked some Finisar SFP+ transceivers. Perhaps not as "smooth" but nice detail. I actually ran Single Mode and MultiMode fiber, and two kinds of Ethernet from network closet to audio room (~35') so I could try different things. I always recommend running multiple options when feasible, as it's the time/labor/hassle that's more than the cable cost itself. Cheers...

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Thanks for the heads up!
Where did you purchase it?

The link should have details, if I copied the right thing…

Edit: it seems to work. Message 360 in that thread.

Also, I have this inline before my Grimm MU1. In my system it seems outstanding, though it has only been in use since Saturday evening.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
The Clarus Crimson are really good. Definitely worth a demo in any system. I’m still deciding between them and Shunyata Omega/Sigma. I’ll post a review of the Crimson soon. Though it will be excellent review, I may still select Shunyata. Not sure yet …
Sorry if I'm off topic. My system isn't at the same level, but I've had Clarus Crimson speaker cables for several years. I've tried Nordost Odin 1, Infigo Signature, High Fidelity, Audience Front Row, Audioquest Thunderbird and Dragons, Shunyata Sigmas, and a couple others. I don't believe in absolutes in audio and I understand that cables can be system dependent. That being said, I have yet to hear speaker cables that are as balanced in my system.

Reactions: Audire and Famester

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017

The link should have details, if I copied the right thing…

Edit: it seems to work. Message 360 in that thread.

Also, I have this inline before my Grimm MU1. In my system it seems outstanding, though it has only been in use since Saturday evening.
Thank you.
Can you describe the internet setup that you are using or in other words, where is your Fiber Box II located in your system?
My setup right now, until I receive the Lumin would be as follows.
FO into house, to AT&T FO box/converter, to
Blue Jeans ethernet to AT&T Router, to inhouse ethernet wiring, to Cisco Managed Switch,
to Blue Jeans ethernet cable,
to SOtM sNH-10G switch, to Blue Jeans ethernet, to Aurender N-200, to Shunyata Sigma USB to Horizon.
When I receive the Lumin, the part between the SOtM and the Lumin will be FO SFPs.
I wonder if a Fiber Box II would make a difference in my system since I already have a good but old Cisco switch and a TOTL SOtM switch with all the bells and whistles?

When I auditioned the Lumin X1, it was similar in SQ to my current Aurender.
The game changer was when I added the above mentioned SFPs and FO, which clearly made me want to stay with a Lumin product that has FO capability.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing