Grimm MU1 vs Aurender N30SA vs Taiko Audio

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I'm on cable service from Spectrum Business, I believe 600 mb though it may be 900 mb. It comes into their router - which I'm not allowed to change, but is configured NOT to support WiFi - and from there goes into my firewall device, then out to my switch. Both the firewall and switch are on Shunyata (relatively inexpensive) power cords. The switch is a Unifi product, and I don't remember the model. It's one of the 24 port models.

From the switch I had been connected via Shunyata Omega ethernet directly into my Grimm, but now the connection is switch > Shunyata Delta ethernet cable > Fiberbox ii extreme > Shunyata Omega ethernet cable > Grimm MU1.

I received an email this morning from Edison (of Ediscreation.) He noted 100 hours break in is the norm - I'm not there yet - and that the Fiberbox significantly reduces both 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi "noise" in the signal.

My next step is to move the Spectrum router, my firewall and Unifi switch out of the rack up to a wall-mount rack in my electronics closet, freeing up some much-needed rack space. At the same time, I'll try the new switch that Chris with DeJitterIt is working on. (He's the madman behind the AppleTVX.)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022
Any chance of bringing in the antipodes oladra to the mix? Christiaan of hifi-advice / taiko just finished his review looks like some nice kit.

Reactions: Rexp

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
We've got the Aurender N30SA, InnuOS Statement NextGen and the Antipodes K50 here on permanent demonstration on the higher/highest level. We've also had the Grimm MU1 here earlier.

As so often, it's hard to reach any general and definitive conclusions in terms of performance and individual differences - especially within this segment where the relationship to the DAC and influence of the network and cables are all crucial factors to consider.

I'm open for any specific questions that you might have.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Any chance of bringing in the antipodes oladra to the mix? Christiaan of hifi-advice / taiko just finished his review looks like some nice kit.

Sorry, but I can’t get a demo - no one near me carries it. I’m waiting to add the MC-10 (Time) to our N30SA and then make a final decision between the Extreme and the Aurender.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The Aurender MC-10 arrived today. This is one of the first in the United States. Thank you Ari (Aurender) and Tony (Ellington Hi Fi).

IMG_0915.jpeg

The MC-10 is well packed like other Aurender units.

IMG_0914.jpeg

You have to install the clock into the main Aurender unit.

IMG_0918.jpeg

After that it is pretty much plug and play. It uses an AES cable and for most DACs a 75 ohm BNC/Clock cable. We temporarily replaced our transport with the MC-10 (Top right).

IMG_0921.jpeg

More on the sound later. However, it definitely positively impacts it !!!

Last edited:

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
The Aurender MC-10 arrived today. This is one of the first in the United States. Thank you Ari (Aurender) and Tony (Ellington Hi Fi).

View attachment 112244

View attachment 112245

View attachment 112246

After that it is pretty much plug and play. It uses an AES cable and for most DACs a 75 ohm BNC/Clock

View attachment 112244

View attachment 112245

View attachment 112246

After that it is pretty much plug and play. It uses an AES cable and for most DACs a 75 ohm BNC/Clock cable. We temporarily replaced our transport with the MC-10 (Top right).

View attachment 112247

More on the sound later. However, it definitely positively impacts it !!!

Looking forward to your findings!

Our Aurender MC10 demo unit should arrive within a week to be partnered with the N20 and N30 here in Stockholm.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The first 24 hours with the Aurender MC-10.

The Aurender MC-10 Clock impacts the sound of the N30SA and I’m sure all other Aurender streamers that may be connected to it (N20, etc.). The workmanship of the unit is exceptional.

Using a mere AES cable with the N30SA makes the sound more romantic - that’s tube-like. This is a great sound, however, IMO the sound stage somewhat narrows and is not as full as when using a high-end USB cable. We preferred the sound using an USB cable.

By adding the MC-10 to the N30SA (still using the AES) the sound is tube-like and the soundstage is exceptional - stunning and huge. It feels as if the singers are in the room with you.

This clock is transformational to our N30SA. There’s an overall smoothness to the sound. The bass is more defined. The sound is better than merely using a high-end USB cable. Mind you I’m using a “very cheap” 75 Ohm BNC cable that came with the MC-10. Using a quality high-end BNC cable will impact the sound even further.

We’re continuing to listen. In a few days I’ll be comparing the notes I made on the Taiko Extreme and comparing them to the N30SA + MC-10.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
The first 24 hours with the Aurender MC-10.

The Aurender MC-10 Clock impacts the sound of the N30SA and I’m sure all other Aurender streamers that may be connected to it (N20, etc.). The workmanship of the unit is exceptional.

Using a mere AES cable with the N30SA makes the sound more romantic - that’s tube-like. This is a great sound, however, IMO the sound stage somewhat narrows and is not as full as when using a high-end USB cable. We preferred the sound using an USB cable.

By adding the MC-10 to the N30SA (still using the AES) the sound is tube-like and the soundstage is exceptional - stunning and huge. It feels as if the singers are in the room with you.

This clock is transformational to our N30SA. There’s an overall smoothness to the sound. The bass is more defined. The sound is better than merely using a high-end USB cable. Mind you I’m using a “very cheap” 75 Ohm BNC cable that came with the MC-10. Using a quality high-end BNC cable will impact the sound even further.

We’re continuing to listen. In a few days I’ll be comparing the notes I made on the Taiko Extreme and comparing them to the N30SA + MC-10.
Does it impact the sound when you use USB connection?

Thanks.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Does it impact the sound when you use USB connection?

Thanks.

The MC-10 only impacts the sound using the AES cable and not an USB. I’m not sure why this is.

Another point is that the USB goes into the back of the main unit of the N30. However, if you are using an AES and MC-10 these connect to the electrical supply of the N30.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I'm under the impression that when using USB, the DAC's clock will be controlling (unless, perhaps, if your DAC has a clock input such that it in turn can be controlled by an external clock like the MC-10).

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I'm under the impression that when using USB, the DAC's clock will be controlling (unless, perhaps, if your DAC has a clock input such that it in turn can be controlled by an external clock like the MC-10).

Thanks. That’s interesting and makes sense …

The N30SA has two OCXO Clocks as standard. The MC-10 has a Rubidium Module 10 MHz Master Clock.

The MC-10 has connections for both a 50 and 75 Ohm clock cables. The 75 Ohm is used in most situations, but with those DACs with an external Clock input you’re supposed to use the 50 Ohm.

I enjoy our Vitus Masterpiece DAC. The Vitus Transport and DAC combo is absolutely amazing. However, with the N30SA the MC-10 external clock seems to sound better. But this makes sense since both the Aurender streamer and clock are built for this type of synergy.

Reactions: gds7368 and thomask

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
You're correct - USB is asynchronous, so no clock data is transmitted with the signal, relying instead on the DAC's onboard master clock to synchronize, and "march the soldiers to the beat of the drum" right before the D-to-A conversion.

External clocks (including Aurender's MC-10 and MC-20) are thus superfluous and unnecessary, since most Aurender owners use the USB output for the DAC connection, to transmit DoP, MQA, DSD, etc. I've written about this in the past:

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The sound of the Aurender MC-10 + N30SA is fantastic. The Taiko Extreme also sounds tremendous. With the Taiko there’s no need to analyze the music. We simply got lost in the sound! I haven’t heard the Extreme with the Taiko Switch or XDMS yet! But from what I’ve read here on WTB and elsewhere everything goes to another level or two with XDMS.

After extensive listening, we’re purchasing a Taiko Extreme and Switch - both in beautiful black! Hopefully Emile has both in stock ….

Last edited:

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
The sound of the Aurender MC-10 + N30SA is fantastic. The Taiko Extreme also sounds tremendous. There is no need to analyze the music. We simply got lost in the sound! I haven’t heard the Extreme with the Taiko Switch or XDMS yet! But from what I’ve read here on WTB and elsewhere everything goes to another level or two with XDMS.

After extensive listening, we’re purchasing a Taiko Extreme and Switch - both in beautiful black! Hopefully Emile has both in stock ….
Wised decision. Taiko is not only a server. It’s an ecosystem. Will always evolve over time.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The MC-10 is sounding better this evening. I guess it is still breaking in. But the soundstage is off the charts right now.

Reactions: thomask

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Well some additional time on the MC-10 has changed things. The sound is improving and not just by a little now. The soundstage and bass continue to improve. The midrange is to die for. Thankfully I get to keep it some more time.

Reactions: Hyperion

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Well some additional time on the MC-10 has changed things. The sound is improving and not just by a little now. The soundstage and bass continue to improve. The midrange is to die for. Thankfully I get to keep it some more time.
If you can use the better BNC cables, the sound will be much better.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
If you can use the better BNC cables, the sound will be much better.

I agree! Unfortunately, I don't have any extras laying around. My dealer doesn’t have any in his store. I’m checking with a friend to see if he can bring over some.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Vu

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
usb only transports data packets (no signal) only after the usb chip of the dac or the external clock is it a digital signal( aes/ebu or spdif. the dac always benefits from a clock if it is better than the one built into the dac. the clock in the dac is still active unless you can switch off resampling mode "off" in the dac, which switches the clock off in the dac. example vioelectric v 800 dac
then you only hear the upstream clock example mutec 3+usb

Last edited:

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Wised decision. Taiko is not only a server. It’s an ecosystem. Will always evolve over time.
From someone who works in the San Francisco Bay Area, we use the word “ecosystem“ to refer to user bases in the tens of millions to billions of people (e.g., Gmail, Apple iOS, Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom). Taiko is a limited release high end media server. What’s its use base? A few hundred people? Don’t get me wrong. I’m amazed at the quality of workmanship and the dedication to what in SF seems like a tiny tiny group of aficionados. I wish them all success. But to stay afloat, they need to find a way to grow this small community of early adopters. As always, price is the key.

Reactions: keithc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing