GrooveMaster II Tonearms

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I was not talking about fancy plinths. Just compare the simple computer controlled router work, done in approximately two hours, in the photo I posted and the work done by Russ Collinson video or Carl Ellis, hundred percent hand crafted to perfection, sealed and lacquered plinths.

But the point is that you are satisfied with yours and that is what counts.

Cheers,
Sorry, I missed that you were talking about the Moldovan plinths, which I've not seen in person and seem solid and a bargain.

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
As I mentioned in a previous post the Moldova plinths are better than Acoustand, I had them both. The only problem it had was the position of the tonearm cut out.
I have no idea why people have this thing about why the arm should be central in its bed plate, SME designed the arm for this very situation so the correct mounting distance can be set.

It amazes me people mount the arm straight instead of pointing towards the spindle just so they don’t have to slide the arm forwards and they can mount it central.

Igor Smic of Moldova is a fantastic chap, he offered to send me another plinth at no charge but it did not sound right to me so I sold it.

He and his wife are incredible people, highly recommended.

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Timestep tonearm [T609/610/612]. Identical to the Groovemaster. What's the story?

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Per Hugo at Ammonite Audio (from whom I bought my Groovemaster 12-J), they're identical, yes. Here's an excerpt from an email exchange with Hugo. This is from a couple years ago.

"I am now the official UK dealer for both Groovemaster and Timestep tonearms, which will both be appearing alongside each other in my shop, priced the same. [...] I will be re-naming the Timestep arms, to avoid confusion. They will in future simply be known as Groovemaster-J tonearms, with the J denoting Jelco geometry, mounting and alignment. "

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing