High Dynamic Range Music

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Amir isn't interested at this time in LPs. I thought the Prokofiev LP from Sheffield was incredible. I'd also heard that the first-release CDs weren't that great, that's why I mentioned the new gold reissues that have been (hopefully better) remastered.

I experienced the same let-down with the Dafos CD vs. the original 45rpm RR LP. No comparison.

Lee

I remember buying the Dafos album from eBay in England because it was recommended by Soundstage as CD's to test one's system. I too found it a let down

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Found a preview of them. Even when highly compressed, it shows great potential. But $93 for each one????

Steve, name your favor. I must have a copy of this disc!!! :D

I bought this CD several years ago at Lee's recommendation. It will test your system but as he says the music isn't for everyone. You can buy a used one at Amazon for $2.49 but Amir weren't you the member who was giving us heat for copying CD's and sending them to people when it is copy right material :) :confused:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I bought this CD several years ago at Lee's recommendation. It will test your system but as he says the music isn't for everyone. You can buy a used one at Amazon for $2.49 but Amir weren't you the member who was giving us heat for copying CD's and sending them to people when it is copy right material :) :confused:
I was trying to exchange the disc for whatever you wanted me to do for you :). "Copy" was not being used literally as in, "I have to get a copy of that LP."

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
How 'bout this one?

Track Listing:

1. Channel Identification [Technical Track]
2. Voice in-Phase [Technical Track]
3. Voice Out-Of-Phase [Technical Track]
4. Clap Track [Technical Track]
5. 315 Hz Test Tone [Technical Track]
6. Prof. Johnson Does Something Spatial [Technical Track]
7. Demagnetizing Sweep [Technical Track]
8. Demagnetizing Fade [Technical Track]
9. System Burn-In [Technical Track]
10. Mono, in Phase [Music Track]
11. Mono, Out-Of-Phase [Music Track]
12. Stereo, Out of Absolute Phase [Music Track]
13. Stormy Weather [Complete Performance]
14. Shiny Stockings [Music Track]
15. Derivations for Clairnet and Band, Rag Movement [Music Track][Live]
16. The Queen's Monastery [Universal Edition]
17. Ave Maria [Music Track]
18. Polka and Fugue [Music Track]

Reactions: amadeus

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sometimes, when you buy a CD and it doesn't measure up to what you expect, re-recording the CD (copying your own CD) can yield good sonic results. This is the case where the digits are good, but the pressing or mastering is lacking.

Winston uses some of the technology I discovered to create his Ultimate Disc Master (not the UD Collector). The members of PNWAS have also experienced direct A/B comparisons. More information on how to do it correctly is here:
http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/whitepaper/Black_CD_Paper_Ultimate.pdf

I've often heard people complaining that the copy is not better than the original. It's usually because they take short-cuts. Also, there ARE some CDs that I have not been able to improve upon. Some of these include the early XRCDs pressed at the JVC plant.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Telarc version of Stravinsky- Firebird Suite. Almost inaudible to thunderous crescendo.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Read about Avishai Cohen - Live at the Blue Note on another thread in this forum..... and bought it. The last track Caravan is hugely dynamic! Fabulous music too. Haven't watched the DVD yet..... but I'll get around to it.

http://www.amazon.com/As-Live-Blue-...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1290020818&sr=8-2

It is a great album Gary, please also try his two new albums, amazing percussions and finesse. He has just leaved Mexico two weeks ago, incredible concert!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
flez

When I finally heard his albums I was extremely pleased.. Thanks for the recommendation. I am mad at him though, he was just next door and did not bother to check us up north??? :( ... Checking his website, there is no plan for North American Tour .. What's up with that?? :mad:
great music, lt of energy.. Looks like one wo will stand the test of time...Should look into his namesake .. if the other AC is remotely as good ...:cool:

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about classical piano music on Blu-ray 3D? Just released: "Lang Lang Live in Vienna" --- Two hour conventional concert at Vienna's Musikverein shot in 2D. Plus about 30 minutes in 3D-24p shot at the Berghain club in Berlin. Plus an 11 minute "making-of" covering the 3D. A terrific disc, available for a mere $17.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
How about classical piano music on Blu-ray 3D? Just released: "Lang Lang Live in Vienna" --- Two hour conventional concert at Vienna's Musikverein shot in 2D. Plus about 30 minutes in 3D-24p shot at the Berghain club in Berlin. Plus an 11 minute "making-of" covering the 3D. A terrific disc, available for a mere $17.

This should be very good. Lang Lang also recorded Live at Carnegie Hall on SACD, which is a superb recital. I'm putting this one on my list.

Lee

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
1. Holst Handel Bach Suites (Telarc). Breathtaking orchestral drum whacks.
2. Dafos (RR). Mickey Hart's throw down of his beastly drum on the 'Gates of Dafos' is not urban legend. I have seen it kill many woofers. But when it passes the test, the sound can be stupendously awesome. (The Lp sounds much better than the CD).
3. Time Warp (Telarc). To me the ultimate torture test in system power handling. I believe the CD version is even more dynamic but the LP version is by no means a slouch. Audio's answer to home theatre's THX.
4. Beethoven or Bust (Telarc CD only). The last track is only a few minutes but ends in a thunderous way that had me checking the roof of the Golden String Hifi Shop in HK back then. LOL They played this cut on repeat mode on the Duntech Sovereigns.
5. Paramita (XRCD) - Kodo drum cuts are among the most realistic and dynamic I've ever heard.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
About the most dynamic piano recording I know - unfortunately out of print.

The CD or SACD of this is out of print? The original LP is now very hard to come by, and yes, it's are very dynamic piano recording, but I would say the Beethoven 'Appassionata' on Japanese RCA with Kamiya on the Bosendorfer is even more staggering.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The CD or SACD of this is out of print? The original LP is now very hard to come by, and yes, it's are very dynamic piano recording, but I would say the Beethoven 'Appassionata' on Japanese RCA with Kamiya on the Bosendorfer is even more staggering.

Yes, the version on FIM is out of print. But it's one of Winston's huge to-do list to make a K2HD version. Ikuyo Kamiya's Appassionata is also very hard to come by.

ps. Just checked - the TBM versions on CD, 33rpm LP and 45rpm LP are also out of print. I have Misty on 45rpm, and have always regretted not buying Midnight Sugar at the same time.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes, the version on FIM is out of print. But it's one of Winston's huge to-do list to make a K2HD version. Ikuyo Kamiya's Appassionata is also very hard to come by.

ps. Just checked - the TBM versions on CD, 33rpm LP and 45rpm LP are also out of print. I have Misty on 45rpm, and have always regretted not buying Midnight Sugar at the same time.

I see, Gary. First time I heard Midnight Sugar on LP, I told myself I gotta have that. When I got it and played it, I enjoyed it beyond my expectations. What rhythm, specially on the cut The Nearness of You. I need to get a back-up copy before I wear this thing down now that all versions are OOP. And to add to your hot pressing list, Midnight Sugar has 2 pressings, both originals at 33.3, on is TBM-23 and the 2nd is TBM-2523. If I'm not mistaken, the first was pressed by Toshiba EMI and the other by Kenwood Trio, as seen on the label. I did not have a chance to compare the 2 but at this point, one is lucky to have either one of them.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I see, Gary. First time I heard Midnight Sugar on LP, I told myself I gotta have that. When I got it and played it, I enjoyed it beyond my expectations. What rhythm, specially on the cut The Nearness of You. I need to get a back-up copy before I wear this thing down now that all versions are OOP. And to add to your hot pressing list, Midnight Sugar has 2 pressings, both originals at 33.3, on is TBM-23 and the 2nd is TBM-2523. If I'm not mistaken, the first was pressed by Toshiba EMI and the other by Kenwood Trio, as seen on the label. I did not have a chance to compare the 2 but at this point, one is lucky to have either one of them.

Thanks for the info - I'll continue my hunt for a NM copy. I haven't seen any sealed copies available for a long time, and even NM copies on eBay are ridiculous amounts of money. I bought Misty because I thought that the music was better, but I should have bought Midnight Sugar as well. If you like Yamamoto's sense of pace and rhythm, try Honey Suckle Rose on Misty at 45rpm. I'm listening to that on digital right now.

However, Amir was asking for digital high dynamic range music, and the FIM CD of both Midnight Sugar and Misty are excellent.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
However, Amir was asking for digital high dynamic range music, and the FIM CD of both Midnight Sugar and Misty are excellent.

Agreed, Gary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing