High Dynamic Range Music

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
out of fairness, Amused To Death as great as it is, is recorded in Q-Sound and hence the special effects

I was going to say the same but didn't want to spoil the feast but since you mentioned it ... It is fun but utterly artificial and to me very bizarre to the point of disorientation... It is as if music is being played in a weird place that clearly cannot exist ... YMMV

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Oo, Frantz, I like your collection.

Mt. St. Helens cut would be my orchestral crescendo choice.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was going to say the same but didn't want to spoil the feast but since you mentioned it ... It is fun but utterly artificial and to me very bizarre to the point of disorientation... It is as if music is being played in a weird place that clearly cannot exist ... YMMV

There was a time that I collected CD's recorded with Q-Sound (and there are many) but when that dog starts to bark at the opening of Amused to death you have to look outside to see where it is :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
FWIW, Sheffield is re-releasing gold CDs of at least some of their catalog:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHECD10046

This is just one example. Search "Sheffield" by label and you'll see the current selection.

Lee
Hi Lee,
I have not listened to Sheffield new series of re-releases, but unfortunately the first series CDs were not to the level of the direct cut LPs - e.g. the Harry James CD sounds compressed compared to the LP.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Winston did a few re-issues of the Sheffield recordings - Dave Grusin Discovered Again, James Newton Howard and Friends, Lincoln Mayoga and Armanda McBroom, Drum & Track. I compared only Dave Grusin to the Shieffield CD and the FIM re-issue is quite a bit better, but still far below the LP.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I consider dynamic as the ability to go from a whisper, to a roar, and back to a whisper.
I have never encountered rock, country, or popular music that I would consider 'dynamic'.
I think Amir is looking for impressive dynamics, not dynamic CDs per se. But to illustrate you definition I will recommend an Harmonia Mundi CD : "El amor brujo" , Manuel de Brujo, directed by Josep Pons. HMC905213. The whisper of the orchestra versus the roar of the solo instruments and voices is very well captured, and the violent dynamics and crescendos are unique.
Harmonia Mundi is one of the non audiophile labels that have excellent real dynamics, even in chamber music.

To impress my friends with dynamics I use Shostakovitch symphonies - the Bernard Haitink series with the Concertgebouw Orchestra , Decca recording. The 6th is a real test to a system

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Try cut #6 on the movie soundtrack "Cruel Intentions."

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I think Amir is looking for impressive dynamics, not dynamic CDs per se. But to illustrate you definition I will recommend an Harmonia Mundi CD : "El amor brujo" , Manuel de Brujo, directed by Josep Pons. HMC905213. The whisper of the orchestra versus the roar of the solo instruments and voices is very well captured, and the violent dynamics and crescendos are unique.
Harmonia Mundi is one of the non audiophile labels that have excellent real dynamics, even in chamber music.
Agreed but you should hear their "Falla: The Three Cornered Hat, Nights in the Gardens of Spain" on MCH SACD HMC801606.:)

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Hi Lee,
I have not listened to Sheffield new series of re-releases, but unfortunately the first series CDs were not to the level of the direct cut LPs - e.g. the Harry James CD sounds compressed compared to the LP.

Amir isn't interested at this time in LPs. I thought the Prokofiev LP from Sheffield was incredible. I'd also heard that the first-release CDs weren't that great, that's why I mentioned the new gold reissues that have been (hopefully better) remastered.

I experienced the same let-down with the Dafos CD vs. the original 45rpm RR LP. No comparison.

Lee

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Amir isn't interested at this time in LPs. I thought the Prokofiev LP from Sheffield was incredible. I'd also heard that the first-release CDs weren't that great, that's why I mentioned the new gold reissues that have been (hopefully better) remastered.
The Prokofiev LP is incredible, and I'd gladly pay $$$ for a quality CD master. Don't see it on the site, Lee - am I missing it?

Ken

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The Prokofiev LP is incredible, and I'd gladly pay $$$ for a quality CD master. Don't see it on the site, Lee - am I missing it?

Ken

Here ya go, Ken:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHEGCD10043

Leinsdorf recorded two volumes, both of which are commanding ridiculous prices on eBay for the original Sheffield CDs. Plus, I'd heard that the CDs were pale in comparison to the Direct-to-Disc LPs (not surprising)!

I pray that it's anywhere near the LP, which always gave me great pleasure.

Lee

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
I really like Prokofiev's Rome and Julliet by Maazel and the Cleveland Orchestra. Good recording.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Amir,

Here's one that was famous for some time, and came with a WARNING label on the front cover, as it tended to shatter unworthy systems in the old days. This was the BIS label's first percussion disc with Kroumata (they did several). Track 4 on this disc has it all: big dynamics and impacts coupled with delicate whisper-soft tinkling bells, etc. The "music" is not to all tastes, as Steve will attest, but I've used this disc as a top reference for sound quality when equipment shopping, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Kroumata-Perc...=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1289627265&sr=1-9

A bit off the beaten path. However, their Kroumata Encores SACD in multichannel won an award from our own Jeff Fritz's Soundstage. Perhaps Steve will lend you his copy for a test drive if you beg him...........

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Found a preview of them. Even when highly compressed, it shows great potential. But $93 for each one????

Steve, name your favor. I must have a copy of this disc!!! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing