How big is your room? W' x L' x H'

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Some recent posts have lead me to a curiosity of the size of some of the rooms used by our members.

With that said, How about letting us know the general size of your room and any additional information you would like to add.

I'll start things off with my room:

Approximate size in feet: 18' W x 43' L x 8' H around 5900-6192 cubic ft

Additional info: Multipurpose rooms with priority towards 2-channel listening. Speakers setup along 18' wall. It also has many open spaces to much larger areas of my home outside of this space.

So how about you?

How would you characterize your room size? small, medium, large?
Approximate size in feet:
Additional info:

Dre

Would anyone else like to contribute to this thread request?

Dre

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
app. 28'wX41'l w/ sloping ceilings 12' up to 16' w/a clerestory above that up to 20'. This main listening/living room has a rear wall w/ a18'wide x 11' tall opening leading into the rest of the house which is 33w' X 58'deep. Bass frequencies can really unfold & we for sure do not need a whole house music system. Granted it's huge w/ really good acoustics, a bit like a small chamber music venue. I design & built the house expressly for music. The system has big speakers & lots of amps to drive it. The room truly "plays" when asked to.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Dre, the room is much different & improved since your last visit. As you already know there has been some equipment upgrades as well.

Self built Dedicated Media room 22.5' x 33.5' x 8', room built within a room, 2 x 4 construction, mass loaded vinyl attached to wall studs/ ceiling/ & floors, resilient channel & sound isolation clips used to attach drywall to studs. Green Glue used on drywall seams.

Yter Flexum acoustic panels ,ASC tube traps & panels, RPG diffusers (ceiling), Core Audio Designs diffusers & Vicoustic corner traps. Other assorted acoustic panels. Final tuning done with the help of HD Acoustics /Jeff Hedbeck.

Just wish I had taller ceilings, but works well with the treatments.

Gary

We've been in this house in San Juan Capistrano for approx 19 years. We have experimented with different speaker positions over the years but are satisfied with where we ended up, sitting a foot away from the rear glass wall. As a result the there is 26' behind the speakers, the speaker position is quite asymmetrical, the RHS speaker is 5" in front of the L speaker, but the speakers are perfectly in phase. To check this we play a SonoruS 5.1 15ips 2 track tape that originated from a multichannel DVD-Audio or SACD and mixed in the analogue domain back to 2 channel. The result is that you have a sound-stage that completely envelopes you; on Kraftwerk's "Maximum Minimum" you get the crowd noise behind your head.

There is no room treatment; we have useable bass measured down to 12Hz with the Giya G1. On the ground floor the room measures 40 long by 31 wide by 23' high. On the upper storey, there is a open dinning room that over looks the great room. So I guess it must be approx. 60' x 31' on the second level, including the balcony.

With smaller speakers such as the Avalon Eidolon, we reverse the speakers & listening room, using the glass wall for some bass reinforcement. Back in the day when we were distributing Halcro, we used to borrow different speakers every year for CES, so we had a chance to listen to some fabulous speakers for a couple of months, while they broke in, such as WIlson MAXX, Focal Utopia, Eggleston Savoy... The best $$ value were probably the CAR T3.1 horn speakers, while colored, remarkably fast & a huge amount of fun.

Capistrano_front.jpg

Capistrano_rear.jpg

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
app. 28'wX41'l w/ sloping ceilings 12' up to 16' w/a clerestory above that up to 20'. This main listening/living room has a rear wall w/ a18'wide x 11' tall opening leading into the rest of the house which is 33w' X 58'deep. Bass frequencies can really unfold & we for sure do not need a whole house music system. Granted it's huge w/ really good acoustics, a bit like a small chamber music venue. I design & built the house expressly for music. The system has big speakers & lots of amps to drive it. The room truly "plays" when asked to.

Dre, the room is much different & improved since your last visit. As you already know there has been some equipment upgrades as well.

Self built Dedicated Media room 22.5' x 33.5' x 8', room built within a room, 2 x 4 construction, mass loaded vinyl attached to wall studs/ ceiling/ & floors, resilient channel & sound isolation clips used to attach drywall to studs. Green Glue used on drywall seams.

Yter Flexum acoustic panels ,ASC tube traps & panels, RPG diffusers (ceiling), Core Audio Designs diffusers & Vicoustic corner traps. Other assorted acoustic panels. Final tuning done with the help of HD Acoustics /Jeff Hedbeck.

Just wish I had taller ceilings, but works well with the treatments.

Gary

We've been in this house in San Juan Capistrano for approx 19 years. We have experimented with different speaker positions over the years but are satisfied with where we ended up, sitting a foot away from the rear glass wall. As a result the there is 26' behind the speakers, the speaker position is quite asymmetrical, the RHS speaker is 5" in front of the L speaker, but the speakers are perfectly in phase. To check this we play a SonoruS 5.1 15ips 2 track tape that originated from a multichannel DVD-Audio or SACD and mixed in the analogue domain back to 2 channel. The result is that you have a sound-stage that completely envelopes you; on Kraftwerk's "Maximum Minimum" you get the crowd noise behind your head.

There is no room treatment; we have useable bass measured down to 12Hz with the Giya G1. On the ground floor the room measures 40 long by 31 wide by 23' high. On the upper storey, there is a open dinning room that over looks the great room. So I guess it must be approx. 60' x 31' on the second level, including the balcony.

With smaller speakers such as the Avalon Eidolon, we reverse the speakers & listening room, using the glass wall for some bass reinforcement. Back in the day when we were distributing Halcro, we used to borrow different speakers every year for CES, so we had a chance to listen to some fabulous speakers for a couple of months, while they broke in, such as WIlson MAXX, Focal Utopia, Eggleston Savoy... The best $$ value were probably the CAR T3.1 horn speakers, while colored, remarkably fast & a huge amount of fun.

Thanks musicargyle, Gary, and Philip!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My new room is smaller now. 11Wx14.6Lx8H.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
My dedicated room is 20Lx15Wx8'H. I just acoustically treated the room properly and the change was dramatic. Here's the old setup and new arrangement.

Attachments

• System wide.jpg
    System wide.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 597
  • 67.JPG
    67.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 629
  • 64.JPG
    64.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 625

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Philip, your room is positively gorgeous!

Can you drill a couple of holes in the floor to route that wire into the basement instead of laying on the floor as it crosses the room?

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I will try to get some pictures up later.

My room is large volume wise as I have 17' ceilings. Speakers are on the long wall which is 25' and they fire across the room which is 16' wide. My listening position is ~2' from the rear wall and speakers are ~3ft from the rear wall.

Beau

Philip, your room is positively gorgeous!

Can you drill a couple of holes in the floor to route that wire into the basement instead of laying on the floor as it crosses the room?

Gary,

Steve is right, no basements in California. Its also a part of the job that I need to change cable sets from time to time, so laying the cable under the carpet would be problematic. I agree the cable is an eye-sore.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Purposed built media room designed by Acoustic Frontiers consists of an isolated wall system with Kinetics IsoMax clips and 25mm hat channel attached to furring strips nailed to CBS walls. Soundboard XP damped drywall is attached to the hat channel and ceiling joists. Acoustic sealant applied in the areas between the top, bottom, corner areas of the damped drywall.

The A/V electronics are served by a dedicated 100A electrical sub-panel with (4) 20A circuits. Twisted pair wiring (#12) is used for each circuit with the neutral and hot wires wrapped together on 2" centers and the ground wire placed parallel in PVC conduit.

The finished room dimensions are 19'-6 1/2"L x 15'-3 3/8"W x 11'H.

The room currently has RPG BAD ceiling acoustic "clouds" and floor panels at the front wall and front right side wall early reflection points. I'm preparing to have Acoustic Frontiers measure the room and recommend specific wall acoustic treatment & locations.

IMG_2914 (768x1024).jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Hey Gary

This is California. Basements are something we know nothing about

I never knew that!

I know Frank Lloyd Wright hated basements, saying that you don't need anything that you might keep there. I would be lost without my subterranean "warehouse"

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Philip,

Even if it's slab on grade, cut a couple of slits (1 to 2"" should do it) in the carpet at each end with an exacto knife or box cutter, buy a "snake" from the hardware store, fish it through, tie the wire to one end of the snake, and pull it through to the other hole.

Then put a nice looking area rug (that compliments the carpet) with padding under the area rug over the area where the wire is to prevent damage. Your done.

Just a thought.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I never knew that!

I know Frank Lloyd Wright hated basements, saying that you don't need anything that you might keep there. I would be lost without my subterranean "warehouse"

Basements are often for insulation in cold weather climates...it creates an insulated space so that the ground floor temperature is more moderate. If you've ever been in a house with a groundfloor addition that has no basement underneath it...the floor in the addition can be FREEZING in wintertime, even with the heat on.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Basements are often for insulation in cold weather climates...it creates an insulated space so that the ground floor temperature is more moderate. If you've ever been in a house with a groundfloor addition that has no basement underneath it...the floor in the addition can be FREEZING in wintertime, even with the heat on.

My house luckily has a full basement/warehouse, which is great for running wires and stuff.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Remember guys, the homes in California are made from wood, chicken wire and paper. Or something like that;)

Which is why they fetch the money that they do.

IF they had basements...that would a VERY PRICEY proposition.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just saw this now. My room measures 18'W x 23'L x 10'H. I thought it was big in 1989 when I built the house, but soon after I wish it were bigger.

Present day Maggie 2.7QR and ARC VS115 amp:

1.1.jpg 100_3670.jpg

Mid 90s set up B&W Matrix800 with Jadis JA200 mono amps:

100_2688.JPG

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
My new room is smaller now. 11Wx14.6Lx8H.

My dedicated room is 20Lx15Wx8'H. I just acoustically treated the room properly and the change was dramatic. Here's the old setup and new arrangement.

I will try to get some pictures up later.

My room is large volume wise as I have 17' ceilings. Speakers are on the long wall which is 25' and they fire across the room which is 16' wide. My listening position is ~2' from the rear wall and speakers are ~3ft from the rear wall.

Beau

Purposed built media room designed by Acoustic Frontiers consists of an isolated wall system with Kinetics IsoMax clips and 25mm hat channel attached to furring strips nailed to CBS walls. Soundboard XP damped drywall is attached to the hat channel and ceiling joists. Acoustic sealant applied in the areas between the top, bottom, corner areas of the damped drywall.

The A/V electronics are served by a dedicated 100A electrical sub-panel with (4) 20A circuits. Twisted pair wiring (#12) is used for each circuit with the neutral and hot wires wrapped together on 2" centers and the ground wire placed parallel in PVC conduit.

The finished room dimensions are 19'-6 1/2"L x 15'-3 3/8"W x 11'H.

The room currently has RPG BAD ceiling acoustic "clouds" and floor panels at the front wall and front right side wall early reflection points. I'm preparing to have Acoustic Frontiers measure the room and recommend specific wall acoustic treatment & locations.

Thanks for contributing John, Sharp 1080, Beau, Len and Phil.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing