How Good a CD Transport is Required to Sound Better than Streaming?

Esoteric-CD.jpg
There seems to be a fairly solid consensus (Lucasz Ficus, LL21, Al M, etc.) that CD playback or computer file playback, or perhaps both, sound better than streaming (assuming, of course, that all other variables, including the DAC, are held constant).

But I assume that one cannot assume that any device that can spin a CD necessarily will achieve better sound quality than will streaming.

So how good a CD transport does one need to achieve CD playback which sounds better than streaming? Where do the lines (rising sound quality of better transport and streaming sound quality) cross?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shel50 and wisnon
I found this to be very interesting!

I listened to the audio samples using my Sennheiser HD540 Reference Gold headphones via my MacBookPro laptop.
I could faintly hear the differences between the audio samples and was able to guess correctly, but like he said, the differences were very minuscule to my ears via my headphones.

So I begin to wonder if something happens when people rip the audio to be able to be shared via youtube that everything gets homologized?

But then the creator basically said (I am paraphrasing here) that when listening in his sweet spot, that although there were audio differences between using the roughly $40 transport and the $11,000 Ayon, that those audio differences were certainly quite small and certainly not worth the $11,000 outlay and actually felt embarrassed and almost apologetic about his preconceived bias.

He then went on to say that when comparing the $40 player to the $11,000 Ayon player utilizing their own internal dacs, not using an external dac, that the differences were then noticeably larger when listening in the sweet spot. But still, after this experiment that he is considering selling the expensive Ayon and getting something much less expensive.

So, this is all for me to wonder about..... I am just now, after roughly 50 years of vinyl dedication, dipping my toes into the digital side of things. I have just recently ordered a new LTA AERO Dac. To start out with, I will be using my vintage Rotel 955AX multibit cd player as the transport via its coax digital output. I have been contemplating getting a dedicated CD transport along the likes of a Jay's Audio or CEC TL-2N dual belt drive. But now I wonder if after seeing the above youtube video, if spending another $2500 to $5000 or so on a dedicated transport is even needed or worthwhile?

Would be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this. As I had mentioned... digital is completely new to me and I have a lot to learn!

Best wishes to you all!
Don

I always focused on the DAC versus the transport until I had purchased a Mojo Audio EVO . Ben from Mojo asked me what transport I was using and I told him a Cambridge CXC. He responded that the quality of the transport used either allows through or holds back the performance of a DAC. I decided to purchase a SimAudio 260 DT and the SQ improvement was immediately noticeable versus the CXC. The SQ further improved when I reached out to SimAudio and asked if f any of the outputs were optimized. The response was AES/EBU, and switching to that from the SPDIF took the SQ improvement even further. Net net, I wouldn't discount the importance of the transport, and in understanding their optimization

The best transport is in the same box as the CD player, that is, a stand-alone CD player.
CD transports vary wildly with regards to sound quality; and they impact the sound of a DAC when used together.
A top-notch transport (internal or external) should house a robust and performant optical pickup, quality casework, and be well damped internally to prevent incidental errors in land and pit (0's and 1s) the accuracy is all over the place. How closely the grooves are followed impacts dynamic passages in recorded music and bass extension to a large extent. A bad transport may also add noise, which might cause a track that is typically bright to sound warmer.

Want to get around this? use multi-layer glass fiber Toslink cables if you have the option on your CD player. Connect it to an Android phone via DSD TECH adapter with a KONDOR BLUE type C cable. Now, you should get the same sound quality, or very close.

I'm not a fan of streaming because I prefer to have physical media. For example, all of my music is stored on an external nVME drive, Android phone, and computer.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply!

It is great to hear your thoughts, especially between the Jay's CDT3 and the CDT2 transports. What you report hearing between the two, mirrors what I believe I have read about the designer saying... that the CDM4 as having a touch more musicality than the CD-PRO2LF, while also being more reliable, more precise and more musical.

When you say the CDT2 has a better flow and more analog sounding... those are attributes that resonate with me!

I'm curious... when comparing the two Jay's transports...
1. Did they have the upsampling to 176.4Khz engaged?
2. If so, could you hear much of a difference between the transport at 44.1Khz vs the 176.4Khz?
3. Which Dac and Speakers were they using?

I truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences with us!

Best wishes,
Don
Hi Don, I tried out the upsampling feature on each model. It was a brief comparison so I can’t be sure.. up sampling sounded a touch richer compared to 16/44, to my surprise honestly, but if it was true, it was a subtle difference and no way as significant compared to that between the two models. The DAC was a Denafrips Venus II.

Reactions: No Regrets

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu