How Good a CD Transport is Required to Sound Better than Streaming?

Esoteric-CD.jpg
There seems to be a fairly solid consensus (Lucasz Ficus, LL21, Al M, etc.) that CD playback or computer file playback, or perhaps both, sound better than streaming (assuming, of course, that all other variables, including the DAC, are held constant).

But I assume that one cannot assume that any device that can spin a CD necessarily will achieve better sound quality than will streaming.

So how good a CD transport does one need to achieve CD playback which sounds better than streaming? Where do the lines (rising sound quality of better transport and streaming sound quality) cross?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shel50 and wisnon
Which hi end units have you directly compared the Marantz to that you can provide some specific SQ comparisons on? Txs
No, I can't compare it with my digital chain because it won't be available for sale until the end of October. The hi-fi shop only had one device and they didn't want to lend it to me. I've have been listening to music that I've known very well for years. I never miss a detail with that new Marantz, a great music machine like my metronome DAC. Comparison to follow later at home. I could imagine going back to an all-in-one solution. Marantz says that 89% of all components in the device are a new development. Please listen to the SACD player, it's worth it.

Dacboard +output stage3601-444-05fe43407292df9d43f40e9eb4bee145-1533x1498.jpg

Power supply and new sacd transport3601-444-ddb36a12ee488de2cdbc6fe410717e5f-2400x1600.jpg

No, I can't compare it with my digital chain because it won't be available for sale until the end of October. The hi-fi shop only had one device and they didn't want to lend it to me. I've have been listening to music that I've known very well for years. I never miss a detail with that new Marantz, a great music machine like my metronome DAC. Comparison to follow later at home. I could imagine going back to an all-in-one solution. Marantz says that 89% of all components in the device are a new development. Please listen to the SACD player, it's worth it.

Dacboard +output stageView attachment 138451

Power supply and new sacd transportView attachment 138452
Beautifully made…now just get rid of 90% of the circuitry and it might sound good. My late friend Allen Wright from Vacuumstate made a wonderful discrete output stage for a Sony SCD-1 SACD player. He commented that it looked like Sony found a fire sale on opamps the player had so many!

Beautifully made…now just get rid of 90% of the circuitry and it might sound good. My late friend Allen Wright from Vacuumstate made a wonderful discrete output stage for a Sony SCD-1 SACD player. He commented that it looked like Sony found a fire sale on opamps the player had so many!
Today I would connect a good DAC to the Sony in CD mode. As a CD transport is the Sony still a hardcore machine. Listen to the Marantz first and form your own opinion. It might surprise you like it surprised me.
Marantz have no opamps in this circuit, two stage full balanced with discrete hdam 3 modules

P.S
For sacd analog output a friend used modified two MF Xcans tubebuffer over years sounds real good

Last edited:
Please listen to the SACD player, it's worth it

I don't have SCADs so no need for a SCAD capable player on my end . I'll stick with my Neodio Origine S2 CD player.

Will be interested in which specific hi end players you do directly compare and then think the Marantz will be sending to retirement and why versus generalization.

Last edited:
By all appearances a lot of technology in the new Marantz SACD player. If this were offered by a typical high end company, the price would likely be much higher. Will be interested to learn how its performance compares. Post Ken Ishiwata, Marantz' presence in high end audio seems to have diminished. I would like to see a more consistent high end commitment, presence.

Thank you for sharing this tip... but, I must confess.... sadly, what John Atkinson had to say seems to have gone right over my head. If I had to venture a guess; was he trying to say that both the AES and RCA Coax digital outputs supposed to sound the same?

Best wishes,
Don

Don,

Here's the response I received after posting my questions on Jays website which suggests that excluding I2S the AES/EBU would be the 1st choice

Dear Frank

Great to hear from you!
I'm Alvin, the owner of Vinshine Audio, co-founder of Beatechnik. Thanks for showing interest in our products.

I'd rate the output quality as follows, in chronological order:
  1. I2S
  2. AES/EBU
  3. BNC
  4. Coax

The CDT3, in particular, uses extremely high quality components. The SPDIF outputs (AES/Coax) are of very high quality and low jitter. If you do not have the I2S input on the DAC, you may confidently use the AES/BNC/RCA connection.

Reactions: No Regrets
Today I would connect a good DAC to the Sony in CD mode. As a CD transport is the Sony still a hardcore machine. Listen to the Marantz first and form your own opinion. It might surprise you like it surprised me.
Marantz have no opamps in this circuit, two stage full balanced with discrete hdam 3 modules

P.S
For sacd analog output a friend used modified two MF Xcans tubebuffer over years sounds real good
Aren’t HDAMs just discrete op amps?

I don't have SCADs so no need for a SCAD capable player on my end . I'll stick with my Neodio Origine S2 CD player.

Will be interested in which specific hi end players you do directly compare and then think the Marantz will be sending to retirement and why versus generalization.
in my circle of friends there are various players, let's see how Marantz performs against Metronome AQWO, Wadia 781i, Accuphase DP 770 and my old CD machine Teac X1S

Reactions: morricab
Don,

Here's the response I received after posting my questions on Jays website which suggests that excluding I2S the AES/EBU would be the 1st choice

Dear Frank

Great to hear from you!
I'm Alvin, the owner of Vinshine Audio, co-founder of Beatechnik. Thanks for showing interest in our products.

I'd rate the output quality as follows, in chronological order:
  1. I2S
  2. AES/EBU
  3. BNC
  4. Coax

The CDT3, in particular, uses extremely high quality components. The SPDIF outputs (AES/Coax) are of very high quality and low jitter. If you do not have the I2S input on the DAC, you may confidently use the AES/BNC/RCA connection.
Hi Frank,

Thank you for sharing this information with me and the rest of the forum members. I truly appreciate you going above and beyond!

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: facten

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu