I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

sitting in it's box with whatever shard is left for stylus. I have made no effort to seek repair from benz at this point. $2,800 down the drain without even playing one side.

Christian, send it to Peter at Soundsmith. I know they repair MBs.

sitting in it's box with whatever shard is left for stylus. I have made no effort to seek repair from benz at this point. $2,800 down the drain without even playing one side.

That’s no good!
Do you think that the vendor that you bought it from actually sold you a faulty item...or maybe even a counterfeit piece?
I ask, as the vendor has very good feedback and I wonder if he would be willing to stand behind the sale.
So what’s your plan in regards to the Benz?

Try Anamighty sound in Paris... Heard better feedback than sound Smith...

That’s no good!
Do you think that the vendor that you bought it from actually sold you a faulty item...or maybe even a counterfeit piece?
I ask, as the vendor has very good feedback and I wonder if he would be willing to stand behind the sale.
So what’s your plan in regards to the Benz?

he is still selling them on A-gon. I think they are shipped from Singapore. It was already a month after I received it that I tried mounting it and found the problem. Lesson learned....try the cart immediately upon delivery. I'm sure he would of granted me a refund or exchange had I acted sooner.

I have a hardly used gullwing...almost a naked version of the LPS. I may dust that off and mount it.

The Gullwing is a pretty good cartridge, and one that IMO is underrated for what it can do. I don't think it is quite up to what the LPS MR can do, but very good nonetheless. Thanks for the update. The vendor does seem to have quite a presence on A'gon, with a good deal of positive feedback. His pricing always seems low to me, but maybe more in line with what the market will bear, certainly more so than the US dealers. ( Oh, i forgot, their gear is not "grey market", like they say this guy's is!:rolleyes:)

That wouldn’t be my first option, I think the manufacturer would be better.

They don’t do rebuilds.

From the MB web site: “We are no longer able to offer our cartridge rebuild program. This is due to our continued focus on providing industry leading phono cartridges, coupled with the numerous improvements to Benz Micro cartridges and the labor-intensive process of rebuilding older models.

In lieu of the rebuild program, we are offering Benz Micro owners the opportunity to replace or upgrade their older Benz Micro cartridge to a current, new model at a significant savings. Please complete the form below or contact your Benz Micro dealer/distributor for more information on current pricing.”

Well when my 50+ year old Decca carts come in, my first string ED1 WBg Decca originals are ready !

Attachments

• CAC4BF9D-EABC-499D-A6F1-0BC9D73AE5C3.jpg
    CAC4BF9D-EABC-499D-A6F1-0BC9D73AE5C3.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 282
I have always been curious what this dog is for or represent.

F9A03BA3-8386-4B0F-8E12-2D6ADC194399.jpeg

Kind regards,
Tang

They don’t do rebuilds.

From the MB web site: “We are no longer able to offer our cartridge rebuild program. This is due to our continued focus on providing industry leading phono cartridges, coupled with the numerous improvements to Benz Micro cartridges and the labor-intensive process of rebuilding older models.

In lieu of the rebuild program, we are offering Benz Micro owners the opportunity to replace or upgrade their older Benz Micro cartridge to a current, new model at a significant savings. Please complete the form below or contact your Benz Micro dealer/distributor for more information on current pricing.”

I see that now. Problem is that it kind of leaves their existing customer base out in the cold! At least they still have their trade in program...but the question will be how good a value that is for the consumer??
In Christian's case, that leaves him with some very marginal choices in regards to his new LPS...:( Something that I will now ponder if I want to consider one of their new cartridges. :confused:

Well when my 50+ year old Decca carts come in, my first string ED1 WBg Decca originals are ready !

The white body cartridge is almost as impressive as the top line of vinyl.Correction;whole page bar two(my taste)is scintillating,the Campoli and the Britten are peerless recordings and pressings.Bravo you.

Kindest regards,G.

(...) In lieu of the rebuild program, we are offering Benz Micro owners the opportunity to replace or upgrade their older Benz Micro cartridge to a current, new model at a significant savings. Please complete the form below or contact your Benz Micro dealer/distributor for more information on current pricing.”

The information on "current pricing" should be public - audiophiles should be able to know before buying what is the policy on repairs and retyping of the manufacturer. Some years ago I was put-off buying one brand of cartridges when I found that their standard policy was selling a new cartridge at 20% discount retail ... In Europe Van den Hul has excellent prices on re-tipping or service of their cartridges.

Perhaps it is a good time to start a thread on this subject.

Today was the last the day with Tang and we all know that he's a cool guy but in person Mr. Tang is even cooler than Steve McQueen!

Coming back to my home of 13 years after nearly 19 years been an interesting experience, among the multi-level sky train tracks and skyline competing with any ASEAN city the Thai people remain resilient and innovative as ever. Bangkok's a 24/7 city with things going on in every inch of the city, entrepreneurship must be in the Thai DNA because they define it. I love to see that nothing besides the skyline has changed in Bangkok!

Audio wise, Tang's got a great system which performs at an extremely high level, the AS-2000 is in the right home! It's always nice to discover something new, Jonathan Carr's wonderful Lyra sounded amazing from the first second leaving the cartridges in it's dust, great synergy there with the AS2000 and the SME 3012-R but the unexpected sleeper for me was the Opus, very different than the Lyra in every way but what a great cartridge, I loved it!

Thank you Tang for the bami & the great company!

david

IMG_3805.jpg

Hi David,

Who is the next lucky sod to receive their AS2000 TT install then? Hopefully a little closer than Bangkok.

Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing