iFi audio ZEN Stream - The Official Thread

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
thanks for your reply. I'm interested in the Zen Stream because of its USB audio output: do you think Amazon Music might be implemented in the near future or is the issue depending on the Amazon platform itself? I'm currently streaming Amazon Music via ethernet through my BluOS device, but this configuration requires me to use SPDIF coax as output.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Valerio, the Zen Stream is technically Amazon Music capable, but the ball is on Amazon's side right now as you need a license for it. I am afraid I cannot forecast how long would it take.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Does the Zen Stream support Chromecast? When it was introduced, the ads said Chromecast would be added, but I just looked again and that statement seems to be gone, and no mention of Chromecast. The review at TAS says
"Google’s Chromecast (available via a free firmware update)".
Can you please clarify?

I was able to stream Amazon Music HD through my Chromecast Audio streamers when I had a trial subscription. I could not stream Amazon to my more capable network players, so I dropped the service.

Reactions: docvale

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@audiobomber

That is true. After the release of the product, we had multiple iFi-supporters asking us to add this feature, so we listened and decided to do our best in making the Zen Stream a Chromecast compatible device. We did say that it would be added in the nearby future and we aim to keep our word. As per reviews, as you surely understand we do not take responsibility for what other people say.

We've already worked on Chromecast for quite a few months. However, we prioritised Roon. We will shift a bigger portion of our attention towards Chromecast once Roon is ready, which should not be long from now. Chromecast has proven more difficult to implement than expected and we will let everyone know as soon as we have news.

Reactions: audiobomber

Fernane

Feb 5, 2022
So I have a question, I am running iFi Zen stream via USB to a Topping D90 MQA, with MQA pass through enable on the iFi Zen stream. I am streaming MQA via tidal, the DAC shows MQA, when an MQA track is playing, but the bit rate does not change past 44.1, anybody know why, actually whether playing PCM or MQA the bit rate is the same.

I am running firmware 2.30.7

denovare

Feb 7, 2022
My recommendation would be to go to settings > General playback option > Volume control > Set Mixer type to “Software''
View attachment 82676
It should solve your issue.

Hi! Got myself the Ifi Stream today, installed via WIFI, updated to latest firmware and connected the Stream to my Rega DAC via spdif.

I seem to have an issue with volume control, neither Tidal connect or mconnect allow me to adjust the music volume. I use both app's on a recent android phone. I have already changed the mixer type to software, as shown above, and am also experienced with Volumio etc. Actually the fact that Tidal connect will not work bugs me the most, because I mostly bought the device to use it with that. Any suggestions maybe?

Last edited:

Fernane

Feb 5, 2022
Hi! Got myself the Ifi Stream today, installed via WIFI, updated to latest firmware and connected the Stream to my Rega DAC via spdif.

I seem to have an issue with volume control, neither Tidal connect or mconnect allow me to adjust the music volume. I use both app's on a recent android phone. I have already changed the mixer type to software, as shown above, and am also experienced with Volumio etc. Actually the fact that Tidal connect will not work bugs me the most, because I mostly bought the device to use it with that. Any suggestions maybe?
This is one of the worst devices I have owned in my music chain, for the cost I should have just stuck with my bluesound Node, at least I know it works. I can't believe iFi would put such a buggy product out there into production.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

Hi, thanks a lot for raising the Zen Stream volume issue. I discussed it with our Software team and they are working on it. I'll get back to you as soon as I have any information.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
This is one of the worst devices I have owned in my music chain, for the cost I should have just stuck with my bluesound Node, at least I know it works. I can't believe iFi would put such a buggy product out there into production.
Is there anything you'd like me to help you with?

Last edited:
Reactions: gvyt36785

Fernane

Feb 5, 2022
Is there anything you'd like me to help you with?
Yes I would need some assistance, since I have gone to the new firmware version, everytime a track on tidal comes on that is higher than 48.1khz, my DAC will keep flipping back and forth, for example a track that is 192khz will flip down to 48khz and keep flipping back and forth that way, making the sound choppy like a bad connection. The DAC I'm using is a Topping D90 MQA.

The software is set to MQA pass through as "Auto"

Fernane

Feb 5, 2022
Yes I would need some assistance, since I have gone to the new firmware version, everytime a track on tidal comes on that is higher than 48.1khz, my DAC will keep flipping back and forth, for example a track that is 192khz will flip down to 48khz and keep flipping back and forth that way, making the sound choppy like a bad connection. The DAC I'm using is a Topping D90 MQA.

The software is set to MQA pass through as "Auto"
To add this connected via USB to the DAC

Fernane

Feb 5, 2022
To add this connected via USB to the DAC
I wanted to add as well as I tried the same song via my laptop plugged into the DAC and it played it fine, with MQA showing up on the DAC, and 192khz displaying as bit rate. On the iFi streamer if I turn MQA pass through off on the. iFi streamer, the song plays through fine, with OFS displaying on the DAC and 192khz showing, if I turn MQA as auto or ON, the song does not play properly..

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
ifi UI adds MQA passthrough settings to Tidal Connect.

AUTO: Automatically detects the USB DAC type and automatically adapts to expand or not expand the first MQA layer.
{Decoder (MQA decoder) does not expand the first layer of MQA;
Renderer (MQA renderer) expands the first layer of MQA.}

ON: Does not expand MQA first layer. Passthrough bypasses the software decoding in the TIDAL application to the DAC which has the full Decoder technology. Suitable for Decoder DAC settings.

OFF: Expands the first layer, suitable for Renderer DAC settings (and decoders). For Renderer DAC’s the TIDAL Passthrough needs to be disabled so TIDAL does the first decoding, then Renderer does the rendering.

It is probably best to configure the MQA settings to a corresponding DAC MQA capabilities.

Last edited:

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
I have installed via USB and Etherne. Internet radio is working via the Ifi OS. I need to access Qobuz.

I down loaded Mconnect Control and the Zen streamer does not show up on the devices list. I did notice that Mconnect has three versions, Mconnect Control, Player, Player Lite, and Player HD. Perhaps I have to use use a specific MConnect? Any help would be appreciated.

Jackie lee

Mar 1, 2022
I just got a IFI zen stream, I connected a 4T HDD to the USB port, however the Zen streamer can’t locate the files for all my songs. my HDD is formatted with my MAC in ex-FAT format. Any ideas?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have installed via USB and Etherne. Internet radio is working via the Ifi OS. I need to access Qobuz.

I down loaded Mconnect Control and the Zen streamer does not show up on the devices list. I did notice that Mconnect has three versions, Mconnect Control, Player, Player Lite, and Player HD. Perhaps I have to use use a specific MConnect? Any help would be appreciated.
There should not be any issues, no matter which Mconnect you are using. Let me check it on our system and I'll get back to you ASAP.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I just got a IFI zen stream, I connected a 4T HDD to the USB port, however the Zen streamer can’t locate the files for all my songs. my HDD is formatted with my MAC in ex-FAT format. Any ideas?
How are your songs catalogued on your HDD? It can see some but not all songs?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing