In praise of idlers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe it's all in the eye of the designer. Vyger guys design w vacuum hold down, hence sounds worse without. Win uses a grippy platter on Saskia, negating need for clamp. Vic has designed my Salvation to have moderately supporting Delrin pods, and I've realised in the last 24 hrs I need to totally dispense w periphery ring and lp weight.

So many designers. So many ways to great sound.

Reactions: microstrip

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Maybe it's all in the eye of the designer. Vyger guys design w vacuum hold down, hence sounds worse without. Win uses a grippy platter on Saskia, negating need for clamp. Vic has designed my Salvation to have moderately supporting Delrin pods, and I've realised in the last 24 hrs I need to totally dispense w periphery ring and lp weight.

So many designers. So many ways to great sound.

Kind of Marc. I don’t dispute there are many ways to get great sound but not all ways are equal. Some of the ways are just for the plain economics of course and not performance. Building to a price point is often the limitation unfortunately.

Reactions: PeterA and bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh sure Bill. But you would be amazed what a c£1750 tt can be capable of, and as a great platform for modding.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Where music is concerned sine waves would be ideal.Is it the only way to produce and perceive sound?

Pass.

Kindest regards,G.

That depends on how you want to think about classD and DSD. Neither are technically a sine wave, but eventually put one.

This is a simple thing to answer, really. Let's say you could just bump out beats at a given cycle on something, no hysteresis... The produced sound compressions coming off of it would have the cycle you set. They would be the most digital waves in air produced. We should still be sensitive to it because it's about the high-low pressure changes. What would it sound like? I don't know. But here's where the true problem begins... You'd need one of these sound producers for every single frequency. The issue is that you can't produce multiple frequency from the same 010101 type of production. It is on or off, so it can only do this at one frequency at a time.

Although there is one trick that can do something... it's quasi-wave I guess. If you suck air at frequencies like the music, we'll perceive the shift in pressure. This was actually how Bose tries to make their "subwoofers" behave. You may have noticed they sound blah as all fuck, and nothing shakes no matter how loud they get.

My question is that all reasoning on stylus drag is admitting that platter / LP is a single rotational entity, something that seems absurd to me. Considering the very low mass of inertia of the LP, IMHO the weakest link in the chain at medium frequencies of a non clamped system is the LP/platter coupling, not the belt. See that, for example, many people put and take the disks without stopping the turntable.

Would you be happy if your car tires were loose on the wheel? ;) Yes, I am joking - I know you do not care on the why's, just on what we enjoy!

Funny people were saying I'm nuts for asking them to finger test their LP's for slippage. The two things that can slip on a TT, the LP from the mat/platter, or the belt/idlerwheel. The LP slippage is easily eliminated by finding the right mats/combo-mats/platter-stuff/weight. I also find it does a lot for sonics to find the right setup. But when it comes to belts well that's part of the character so no one wants to specifically fix that. But what seems to be the trend is heavier platters (flywheel effect) do it much more gently so it comes across nicely instead of blahhish.

It seems Mike's new idler has rubber which LP's don't slip on. But it makes one wonder if the weight does nothing on it, was the weight stopping micro slipping on the DD? (finger test!)

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
My question is that all reasoning on stylus drag is admitting that platter / LP is a single rotational entity, something that seems absurd to me. Considering the very low mass of inertia of the LP, IMHO the weakest link in the chain at medium frequencies of a non clamped system is the LP/platter coupling, not the belt. See that, for example, many people put and take the disks without stopping the turntable.

Would you be happy if your car tires were loose on the wheel? ;) Yes, I am joking - I know you do not care on the why's, just on what we enjoy!

Hold on: the record doesnt slip due to static friction.

The phenomenon can be observed for example if you put a book on a table and you try to push it. You’ll need to a force larger than the static friction to get it to move at all.
Once it moves you’ll actually need less force.
This is because the dynamic friction is less than the static.

You can also attach a rubber band to the book and then pull the book by the rubber band. You’ll see that you need a certain strech of the rubber band before the book moves. When it moves the rubber band will strech less.

The reason for using a clamp on your turntable is primarly to dampen resonances generated by the needle when playing the record, and secondly to flatten it to make the job easier for cartridge and arm.

The reason for not using it, is that the closer the connection is between record and platter the more risk you have of transmitting noise from the driving mechanics (bearing, motor, idler etc)to the needle.

Something maybe worth trying marc: place a hard platter (carbon, wood, metal) on top of the delrin cones, then a soft platter on top of that, and then the record.

Keep it coming!

Jesper

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

The phenomenon can be observed for example if you put a book on a table and you try to push it. You’ll need to a force larger than the static friction to get it to move at all.

You can also attach a rubber band to the book and then pull the book by the rubber band. You’ll see that you need a certain strech of the rubber band before the book moves. When it moves the rubber band will strech less.

The reason for using a clamp on your turntable is primarly to dampen resonances generated by the needle when playing the record, and secondly to flatten it to make the job easier for cartridge and arm.

The reason for not using it, is that the closer the connection is between record and platter the more risk you have of transmitting noise from the driving mechanics (bearing, motor, idler etc)to the needle.

Something maybe worth trying marc: place a hard platter (carbon, wood, metal) on top of the delrin cones, then a soft platter on top of that, and then the record.

Keep it coming!

Jesper

Jesper - what are you trying to do to him? He is gonna done some psychological back flips now you have introduced another variable that he can tweak :)

Reactions: jespera

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My VTA is gonna go crazy!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jesper, fascinating nugget arguing NOT to clamp lp, to prevent transmission of noise. This may be the reason that I've had such a jump in SQ from lps since yesterday, eliminating my damping periphery vinyl ring and lp weight.

Maybe the dramatic boost in transparency is down to less noise getting thru.

Maybe this is v specific to idlers over belts, since rumble is the enemy.

Jesper, gonna pass on yr suggestion. I know it sounds crazy not to have the lp planted on the platter. But maybe this is the ultimate expression of your idea to minimise noise transmission. No ring, no weight...and no direct conduit from platter to lp. Throw in a continuity of Delrin rim wheel contacting Delrin stripe on periphery edge of platter, and lps on Delrin pods, Delrin itself being softer than vinyl.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
and all this platter-pressing interface talk must include platter composition. how does the platter material interface with a pressing?

i know the team that designed my NVS tt spent lots of time doing research on platter materials and found what they felt was the most sympathetic material to the pressings. it's some sort of resin composite. not saying it's better or worse than other materials, but it certainly could make a difference.

and obviously this platter material is part of dampening dd motor resonance....as it's all one connected system.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, it all makes a difference. Which I guess is a roundabout way of saying it's maybe too simplistic for me to stick to my opinion that idler drive by definition, in isolation, in and of itself, is critical.

Maybe it's when idler is superbly implemented, like yr Saskia, or thru lots of cost effective flourishes like my Salvation, that the synergy of each part comes together.

I know this is no different from belt drive, or a great loudspeaker etc, but idlers obviously really require extra careful attention to detail on noise/rumble management/minimisation, to sound any good. Get it very right, then idlers can truly excel, esp at prices way below even middle tier belt drives.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
As you please, Marc. But I got myself thinking about double platter experiments on my lenco.

Jesper

Please keep us updated on this project, Jesper. I think you are onto something.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It could work. But this second platter for me would have to be pretty thin. Ideally of Delrin. Anyone know of a source of Delrin cut to 12-14" diameter, as thin as possible.

Let us know how your experiments come along.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have tried a really simple solution. Just a spare record to act as second platter.

Suprisingly good results. A tiny bit impractical on lifting lp off the spinning platter. I may go for a 10" lp to allow me to grip edge of lp being played to flip over while platter is spinning. Definite progress on SQ front.

Maintaining verve, purposeful drive and tonal saturation I love from my tt. And whole new levels of crispness, low level detail resolution, bass articulation and high end energy. But not at any detriment re sterility or harshness.

At this point I would not swap my tt for any other analog front end.

Last edited:

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Will do, but i got 4 kids and swmbo and boss men that all require management. So bare with me.

And i fear my beloved L70 arm wont go high enough.

Meanwhile, analogue productions reissues are great but some of them are just marveleous. The king and where he came from.

Jesper

Attachments

• 0A0CFB93-237B-476D-AC01-36917210D29B.jpeg
    0A0CFB93-237B-476D-AC01-36917210D29B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jesper, have been running thru my 70s Miles Davis electric jazz Japanese pressings, Al Di Meola and Mahavishnu Orchestra lps in the last two days.

I can only thank God he helped me find idler/rim drive. And I don't even believe in God.

Reactions: Wutang-401`

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Keep it coming!

Jesper

The finger test is with the LP playing, just touch the outside of the rim of the LP and see if it slips. The drag of a stylus seems too light to do anything, but it isn't... There is 2 grams on it at least (typical).

And actually weights often make the record more stiff so they don't dampen anything really. They can even give a better reflection point. But if they make your LP couple to the platter better then you're changing the resonances behaviors by combining the LP and platter as if they're one. The issue is that when you make it stiffer and also make the LP want to bend up, you're pretty well make a direct path to a hard object. DDK made a platter with a tiny concave pattern to accommodate the change in shape a weight often creates, to couple the two better - very smart avoids the whole issue.

So the type of mat you use, the LP cut out pattern, etc, affect the response of how the weight effects the whole thing.

The most slip will be between a belt drives "belt" and whatever it's on. But if you have a heavy platter, again, it probably only adds a sonic signature that many want.

and all this platter-pressing interface talk must include platter composition. how does the platter material interface with a pressing?

i know the team that designed my NVS tt spent lots of time doing research on platter materials and found what they felt was the most sympathetic material to the pressings. it's some sort of resin composite. not saying it's better or worse than other materials, but it certainly could make a difference.

and obviously this platter material is part of dampening dd motor resonance....as it's all one connected system.

The platter itself is a double edged sword. On one side it interacts with the LP. So you have to consider how well it couples with it. But also does it reflect the sound generated by the stylus through the LP? Does it absorb it? Does it dampen it because it's coupling decently? That's all one side. The second side is how much does it transmit from the motor side? Does it dampen motor noise? In the NVS case I'd guess that it dampens the motor noise real well, and dampens some of the record but only so much as it can couple. It probably reflects a tiny amount. It should be given the finger test. Either way a weight will increase coupling which helps reduce reflections and dampen a lot. But as said before depending on the record and shape of the weight, you can get variable coupling since LP's sometimes how their true nature the second you apply any force on top of them.

The Saskia isn't coupling much, and the record weight doesn't do anything as you've noted. Part of that is because it's lifted that tiny hair off the platter by rubber. That rubber dampens but not much, and mostly only locally. If you take them out the record can completely couple and the weight will stop any micro slipping (rubber does, too). But the platter is reflective as is, but is probably plenty heavy enough that it's beyond the resonance of the motor so it doesn't really transmit from the idler wheel that's self damped.

What I'd say is important is not to conclude anything is negative right away. I promise that a LOT of people on here actually really like the sound of certain reflections, resonances, over-shoot, etc.. I mean it's fact, really. The most important thing is how you like the sound. If a TT has a character that's appreciated, it's not that important whether it sounds negative or positive when described.

Let me illustrate one of many examples of what we often like.. Copper platters/platter mats. They're reflective, not amazing at coupling, bad at damping (better than some metals though), but we like them! There's no reason to stress on the words we use to describe what's going on, if the results are great.

Reactions: microstrip

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Folsom, so what would your opinion be on my tt?

Platter is reasonably high mass aluminium, but lps don't sit on the platter, rather on nine 0.5" high Delrin cones. Delrin was chosen by Salvation designer Vic to be as close to vinyl as possible, just a tad softer. So records don't actually touch the platter, they rest unrestrained. Vic is adamant he doesn't believe in any weights, clamps or rings, saying the securing down of lps creates stress and more problems than it solves. Indeed this is what I've discovered in a major way in the last 2 days.

I've also taken Jesper's suggestion on board to try a second platter, and am trialling using a spare lp on the cones, and popping the lp to be played on top of this. Again, no direct securing of the lp. I'll spend a little time ABing playing records with and without this rudimentary vinyl secondary "platter".

Additionally Vic has formulated an all-Delrin contact chain:
Delrin rim wheel driving Delrin strip on perimeter edge of platter, and aforementioned Delrin cones on platter.

Your thoughts on all this?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

This is because the dynamic friction is less than the static. (...)

Pretty well studied - static friction versus dynamic friction. However they are related and usually show similar orders of magnitude - my point is that its effect is not negligible . The question here is complex - as you referred drag is not static, but modulated by the groove characteristics and the vinyl / platter interface. People who studied these effects in the past used turntables fitted with two tonearms and custom test LPs. Unfortunately in the 60's they did not have the powerful measuring tools - I am referring to digital spectrum analyzers - that would allow us to know what is really happening.

Referring to a related subject, the real reason for the difference in sound quality between the "serious" and "amateur" reel to reel tape machines was only measured after Dale Manquen created a model for wideband flutter and developed the Altair Tape and Transport Diagnostic System that could properly measure scrape flutter in the late 70's.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Folsom, so what would your opinion be on my tt?

Platter is reasonably high mass aluminium, but lps don't sit on the platter, rather on nine 0.5" high Delrin cones. Delrin was chosen by Salvation designer Vic to be as close to vinyl as possible, just a tad softer. So records don't actually touch the platter, they rest unrestrained. Vic is adamant he doesn't believe in any weights, clamps or rings, saying the securing down of lps creates stress and more problems than it solves. Indeed this is what I've discovered in a major way in the last 2 days.

I've also taken Jesper's suggestion on board to try a second platter, and am trialling using a spare lp on the cones, and popping the lp to be played on top of this. Again, no direct securing of the lp. I'll spend a little time ABing playing records with and without this rudimentary vinyl secondary "platter".

Additionally Vic has formulated an all-Delrin contact chain:
Delrin rim wheel driving Delrin strip on perimeter edge of platter, and aforementioned Delrin cones on platter.

Your thoughts on all this?

I think your TT could cost more than it does, honestly. The distance from the semi reflective surface to the LP is enough to dissipate a lot of energy since it's pretty low volume. But you could try this... get a piece of cork mat, and not the kind sold for turntables (they're too uniform, wrong approach). Cut it into the size of your platter. Now find something that's metal and round like your raised nubs, for the inside diameter. Sharpe the outside and punch holes through so it fits over your TT's nubs and spindle. Now you have a less reflective surface that'll diffuse reflections :)

Your TT takes the opposite approach of many of these big buck tables. It's as decoupled as possible so you aren't dependent on having the utterly MASSIVE amount of weight that they have. That's fine, it's the most economical way to make a TT work well. It might even be preferable depending on how much character you want from a TT and the comparison TT.

I'm glad the nubs won't let the LP slip at all.

If I'm going to criticize the table at all, it might be related to the grounding scheme. Few get that right.

The tonearm is awesome to avoid the bad spots on an LP, you have none. What I don't like is that is has probably too little resistance for movement. Everyone thinks that the closer to zero resistance the bearings are the better but there isn't really any evidence for that - they need only to allow enough movement to follow the slow groove spiral. You create a scenario where the arm may be stealing compliance from the cartridge. It's a division, not a +/- formula here. Think about this, everyone likes the 3012R's shittier metal bearing! (over the special "upgrade" plastic/nylon/whatever one - it's actually a lot more complicated than that, but that's part of the truth, that people would rather hear the stylus movement than lose it to the arm).

Let me ask you something, can you adjust the air bearing? Did you try listening or just adjust till it was the lightest possible resistance? While I'm promoting that it not be the lightest this is a tight rope act because even the example of the worse metal bearing is still not a bad bearing by any means.

You can PM me Marc, if you want to discuss a lot more about your TT. We can go over grounding, and one possible mod that might be rather serious.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing