Keith's Dream Amplifier Thread

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
But Keith added a tube preamp as well?
That was what several suggested from the beginning but Keith insisted in keeping his passive attenuator as a fix point iIrc

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
So will this thread be revived? Any thoughts on Vitus? DarTZeel? tubes?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Bill Parrish / GTT Audio uses Audionet.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
After extensive North American travel to hear multiple home based, manufacturer and dealer showroom based systems as well as too many shows to mention, I would recommend two diametrically opposed amplifier brands to auditon:

Aries Cerat

Audionet

I also think Pilium may also be very good, but I heard it in a system with unfamiliar components.

I have both AC and Audionet in my personal/reference system.

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
May be keith is also going retro / vintage . :)
Well, ultimately that's up to him. Right now Ampzilla has to be beaten, which it could be. He's moving to higher-efficiency / lower drivers-crossover-complexity speakers. This opens up viability for lower-power, more reliable tube amplifiers. So much remains to be settled in the reset. Keith is inclined to SS for good practical reaons, but I'll be bringing around some custom tube amps -- single-ended-pentode, push-pull triode and pentode/UL to gauge interest and satisfaction with against mainstream options. Greater speaker efficiency / reduced xover-drivers complexity yields more practical, musically-attantable options.

We're 14 minutes apart in normal traffic, even in Los Angeles, so comparisons like this happen sometimes.

Phil

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
That's my experience too. For about 50 years, but really more. I've never been shut down for music access because of a tube failure. However it is decidedly not Keith's experience. So the outcome may very well not be tubes-fueled.

Phil

Reactions: Lampie519

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Still waiting for a tube failure in my amps (salvaged tubes from old TV sets 30 years ago).
PL519 tubes, naturally ;-)

Attachments

• HS-amp%20frank.jpg
    HS-amp%20frank.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 14

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Still waiting for a tube failure in my amps (salvaged tubes from old TV sets 30 years ago).
PL519 tubes, naturally ;-)
I get it. PL 519. TV sweep tubes unchallenged by hifi. Julius Futterman thought the same way for his OTLs.

Vacuum tubes chosen well for a circuit are incredibly durable despite the visual vulnerability of being glass enclosed. Example: In place of 5687 tubes I sometimes use 6900s. This tube was developed for ICBMs, with a Nonex glass envelope (non-expansion glass) and 500Gs survivability. It looks as vulnerable as any other glass envelope small signal triode, but it's nearly indestructible in use.

Phil

Reactions: Lampie519

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
In my amps they drive my ESL's directly (5KV p-p). No stress for these guy's what so ever.

Unfortunately i had to replace some in a Futterman based OTL the other day (after 15 years of use).

Attachments

• ADRH0846.JPG
    ADRH0846.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: GMKF

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
as far as tube trials and tribulations, i've probably had a half dozen issues over the past decade. if I was to try one it would be the matching LTA amp. but honestly, i prefer SS at this point.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
I think the LTA amp could be a nice addition, at least try it once.

Failure of equipment is no fun but the pleasure it can give if all works at its peak is rewarding.

Nobody complains about replacing tires on a car, or even if it breaks down.

If you love your car you repair it , over and over again.

Funny that this is not the case with audio stuff.

Reactions: GMKF

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think the LTA amp could be a nice addition, at least try it once.

Failure of equipment is no fun but the pleasure it can give if all works at its peak is rewarding.

Nobody complains about replacing tires on a car, or even if it breaks down.

If you love your car you repair it , over and over again.

Funny that this is not the case with audio stuff.
I would agree, but you are likely not disabled and require help to get things fixed such as myself. The LTA is only 15lbs so its possible I could do it.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Beeing disabled is something else (i did not take this into account).

It is true that i am able to fix most audio stuff myself. Not so with cars (and i am unfortunate to love my car).

I think that Zotl is the answer to lightweight audio nirvana....

Attachments

• IMG_3793.jpg
    IMG_3793.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3812.jpg
    IMG_3812.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 10

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Any new amplifier thoughts now that the Fynes are dialed in?

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
bump, The Mc611 are solid and very dynamic at low volumes and in todays market priced within reason for what they offer,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing