Koetsu

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
I like the ease of changing loading on my Allnic H-1202. I will switch from 30 to 70 to 116 and 280 ohms depending on the pressing. 95% off the time, Im at 70 and 116 ohms. The former is my default and the latter for pressings that need a little more sparkle on top

Reactions: jadis and RickS

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Btw, please share your loading experiences with your Koetsus, including your favorite SUTs. From what I know, the usual recommendation is 100 ohms but on my previous phono stage, I liked the sound better with 40 ohms. My present phono stage goes down to only 100 ohms.
I like mine best at 100? and using an Ypsilon MC-16L SUT with my Blue Lace Platinum.

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Here are my Urushi Vermillion and a new Coral stone diamond .... very nice and defiantly not lifeless.....

i use mine in a 12 inch Glanz with a stealth Helios phono cable (the most amazing improvement upgrade - like changing a phone stage to a much higher level).

simon

Attachments

• EE118B94-234C-4973-A223-CDD4DBC353DA.jpeg
    EE118B94-234C-4973-A223-CDD4DBC353DA.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 29
  • 06805047-54C9-405A-AC30-B0FD6F0EE28B.jpeg
    06805047-54C9-405A-AC30-B0FD6F0EE28B.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 30

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Hi Simon

Great pictures, thanks. How do you feel about the differences between your Etsuro Bordeux and your Koetsu's?
Regards
Wayne

Reactions: Ron Resnick

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Re koetsu vs my Bordeaux, to be honest I have changed too many variables - different arms, and different phono cables with my new brinkmann balance.

what I can say is that the Glanz/coralstone diamond/ stealth helios is by far the best combination - by far my go to for best sound serious listening and the best sound I’ve ever had at home, no contest.

the vermillion in the same combination is not as open, nor as resolved, but has enough detail, pace, resolution and openness to be highly satisfying while a little on the warm side of neutral which I prefer and balances my tidal electronics and speakers.

the Bordeaux is on a brinkmann 12.1 arm with an ansuz c2 phono cable. This combination is no comparision to the coralstone/Glanz setup. Compared to the vermillion/glanz, I find the Bordeaux/ 12.1 to be more resolving and more neutral, while still slightly warm. The sound is slightly more open and leaner (I suppose neutral), more treble détail.

i haven’t tried the koetsu in the brinkmann arm, and I did buy the balance with two arms and the Glanz (rather than an old fr66) to endulge my liking of koetsu.

when I first changed my turntable (previously avid Acutus SP - SME v) I swapped the listening quite regularly between the Glanz/Vermillion and 12.1/Bordeaux. But since got the coral stone, and in particular, the Steath Hélios I don’t think I’ve listened to the Bordeaux at all.......

when I had the Avid and SME, I preferred the Bordeaux to the vermillion which was closed in, slow and a bit lifeless in this combination.

so impressed have I been with the Glanz that I think this would suit the Bordeaux better and I’ve been toying with swapping out the 12.1, although there is nothing at all wrong with it.

but maybe the biggest change in all this is the Stealth Helios phono cable which has made a larger improvement than changing the cartridges and arms, and I’ll try swapping this on the 12.1 before playing with a new arm....

as I don’t listen too much in the summer (even the poor UK summer we have had), I’ll experiment more in the autumn.

Simon

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Thanks Simon, thats really helpful. I appreciate the arm and cartridges are totally different, but I'm getting a clear feeling from you that you feel or suspect Bordeaux > Vermillion but Coralstone Diamond > Bordeaux. Which I guess you might expect with a diamond cantilever and it being on the very well suited Glanz.

BTW I agree with you about the transformative nature of a really good arm cable. I haven't looked back since I got the LFD custom cable. It cost me more than a really goood cartridge and the effect was greater than a really good cartridge!

Reactions: jadis

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
At my friends place Koetsu Rosewood longbody made by Mr.Sugano. 65686BC1-C40F-4BF8-AAF7-D0B761BDB361.jpeg 3668992D-2C8C-4F5F-8FA3-C941C2623085.jpeg E50211A5-FBC2-41C7-B593-36167E8487DA.jpeg 23AC4C21-1460-484A-AA56-D56E60DA98BF.jpeg

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Hi Wayne,
Generally, your right in your conclusion, but with the Vermillion on the Glanz/Helios I listen to this also in preference to the 12.1/Bordeaux. but this can also be lazyness on my part..

when it’s autumn, I’ll changing things over and see what I prefer.

One caviat regarding the Bordeaux is that mine is an early sample, and Im told by the Uk importer that it has been significantly improved/tuned. There are plenty of discussions re the Bordeaux on this forum.

simon

hbsry2001

Apr 9, 2018
When my Tiger Eye boron wears out, it will be a diamond rebuild.
Diamond cantilever is the way to go. I have a Transfiguration Proteus D and the transparency, openness and air are amazing. Hoping to acquire a Rosewood Platinum Signature before too long.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Diamond cantilever is the way to go. I have a Transfiguration Proteus D and the transparency, openness and air are amazing.

In return for the transparency and openness do you lose any naturalness or richness or believability or "musicality" compared to the boron cantilever version?

(I personally am skeptical about diamond cantilevers due to this concern.)

hbsry2001

Apr 9, 2018
In return for the transparency and openness do you lose any naturalness or richness or believability or "musicality" compared to the boron cantilever version?

(I personally am skeptical about diamond cantilevers due to this concern.)
I had the boron before the diamond. IMHO you lose nothing and gain a lot. .Its the most 'believable' cartridge Ive heard. Beside it everything else Ive heard seems colored and even slow.

I wish I could afford an Ortofon Anna D to compare it to. And a Koetsu Rose Platinum sig. and an Audio Technica AT 1000.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had the boron before the diamond. IMHO you lose nothing and gain a lot. .Its the most 'believable' cartridge Ive heard. Beside it everything else Ive heard seems colored and even slow.

Thank you!

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thank you!
Hi Ron, only topic with a diamond cantilever is that they are very fragile - one of my cats managed to knock my arm while playing - good bye cantilever, hello large bill....

on a sound front you loose nothing and gain a lot as others have commented....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing