Koetsu

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Bonzo. What can I say? except Gian's was the new Koetsu arm and that the arm will definitely not feature in your Blitzkrieg Approach to audio.

There is currently a big scandal here about enormous fraud. At the head of this was a CEO , notorious for flying in, hiring and firing and flying out. Employees gave him the nickname "Seagull" See, he would fly in, shit all over you and fly out. Naturally, the most deserving people got fired.

Are you a "seagull" Bonzo?

At the end of the day he was the CEO. Anyone with koetsu will get a sound as if seagulls had flown in and done there thing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sorry, but at Gian's the koetsu coralstone on koetsu arm sounded quite poor. I have had various koetsu now across 3012r, Graham elite, Schroeder CB, Reed 3p, Pluto, Ikeda 407, and SME V. I haven't liked a single one. Koetsu is my least liked cart and it's main issue is it lifeless. So, the only time I have heard it brought to life is with FR 64s at Shakti who had a collection of various koetsu, and 3012r next to it, and at a friend's place in London with FR 66s for the past 3 years. He has three FR carts and different SPUs too, and the FR carts are just ok.
Hi Ked,
First time for me to hear that Koetsus are lifeless and only an FR 64 can bring it to life. I've sold around 30 different models of Koetsus ranging from Black to Blue Lace and they all have different tonearms and none used an FR64 and I have not heard the term lifeless being used to describe their Koetsus. To say that Koetsus will sound good only with a particular tonearm is new to me.

Chuck Azzolina-Michlin

Nov 2, 2018
I don't believe it's using Platinum magnets because the output level is so much higher than modern Platinum Koetsus. Subjectively, at LEAST +3 dB, possibly more. Something has to account for that, and only the body & magnets were retained in the rebuild. Also the mass is very close to modern stone platinum Koetsus, so it's not just using larger magnets.

And yes to your first statement! I borrowed this first Koetsu for audition with no expectations, mounted it to my table, and my jaw never left the floor all weekend. It was amazing. Along with the first time hearing a Tannoy dual-concentric speaker, it is the most meaningful and important audiophile moment I've had in 20 years of this hobby.
This used to be 00116:

This is the Koetsu arm after an internal wire snapped:

Very interesting to see the arm internals. Thank you.

Chuck Azzolina-Michlin

Nov 2, 2018
I don't believe it's using Platinum magnets because the output level is so much higher than modern Platinum Koetsus. Subjectively, at LEAST +3 dB, possibly more. Something has to account for that, and only the body & magnets were retained in the rebuild. Also the mass is very close to modern stone platinum Koetsus, so it's not just using larger magnets.

And yes to your first statement! I borrowed this first Koetsu for audition with no expectations, mounted it to my table, and my jaw never left the floor all weekend. It was amazing. Along with the first time hearing a Tannoy dual-concentric speaker, it is the most meaningful and important audiophile moment I've had in 20 years of this hobby.
The voltage is a product of the magnetic circuit and coil so certainly if there is a different output level one of these two are not the same. Once the rebuild is broken in I would be happy to know your opinion. If there are neck and neck now with a nod toward the newer; break in might make the difference.

Chuck Azzolina-Michlin

Nov 2, 2018
Is this to what you refer?

Ddk in the Natural Sound thread:

“I’m not a fan of FR tonearms the bass doesn’t breathe and lacks 3012-Rs nuanced bass. What you call energy I call coloration of FR, it’s always punching even when it shouldn’t.”
Yes, thank you. This is especially clear when comparing the FR-64s to the FR-66s.

Chuck Azzolina-Michlin

Nov 2, 2018

Attachments

• IMG_6711.jpg
    IMG_6711.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 9

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here is the last Koetsu tonearm I sold many years ago. It's a satin finish MK VII. Pardon the watermark as I couldn't find the original photos.

viber_image_2021-07-01_18.jpg
viber_image_2021-07-01_18-31-56.jpg

viber_image_2021-07-01_18-31-5.jpg

Reactions: RickS and mtemur

Chuck Azzolina-Michlin

Nov 2, 2018
Here is the last Koetsu tonearm I sold many years ago. It's a satin finish MK VII. Pardon the watermark as I couldn't find the original photos.

View attachment 79712
View attachment 79713

View attachment 79714
Thank you for sharing pictures of this model. Quite lovely in satin. The sheen on the arm tube looks like stainless which begs the question of if the previous version were same. The MKIII does have a similar / same antiskate adjustment. I am fond of the MKIII and would be eager to find a MKVII. How were these positioned price wise? It looks and feels like it would have been a premium tier in comparison to the Jelco branding.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickS and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank you for sharing pictures of this model. Quite lovely in satin. The sheen on the arm tube looks like stainless which begs the question of if the previous version were same. The MKIII does have a similar / same antiskate adjustment. I am fond of the MKIII and would be eager to find a MKVII. How were these positioned price wise? It looks and feels like it would have been a premium tier in comparison to the Jelco branding.
At that time, it was sold as a brand new unit. I forgot the exact price now but it should be almost twice the cost of a Jelco but of course it's not just a rebadged Jelco but has design specs from Sugano san.

Chuck Azzolina-Michlin

Nov 2, 2018
At that time, it was sold as a brand new unit. I forgot the exact price now but it should be almost twice the cost of a Jelco but of course it's not just a rebadged Jelco but has design specs from Sugano san.
Thank you. Information about this curiously solid performing arm is much appreciated.

Reactions: jadis

slim9

Jan 9, 2013
Back in 1995 I purchased a Rosewood from a audio buddy, who had broken the cantilever. It had not even been broken in yet. I did not want to pay for a complete rebuild, as I didn't see it as being cost effective. So I had it repaired by AJ Van denholm. This was my first Koetsu, so I had no idea of how it sounded new. When I received it back, I thought it sounded fantastic. I had been using a Benz lps, which I also liked. Graham 1.8t, Oracle Delphi lll, tube electronics. I went digital for a while, and shelved my analog, for a few years. After a move, I went back to analog, and purchased a RSP on Ebay, and sent it to Koetsu for rebuild. When I compared the two Rosewoods, Ireally preferred the VDH rebuild. Airier highs,much more detail, and better defined bass. I shelved my tubes amp, CJ 125and purchased a Pass 60, solid state amp. I now much prefer the Koetsu rebuild. Gorgeous mids,silky highs,nice bass. When Coltrane plays his horn, Ialmost tear up, at the beauty of it. I still prefer the Benz on rock, but jazz, vocals, I now no why you all swear by Koetsu's

Reactions: RickS and jadis

jdza

May 3, 2010
While ago I was paging through some Hi-Fi News reviews. I came across a review of a Koetsu (I forget the model). It was the usual waffle about the beautiful voices, silky midrange etc. However, in the measurement segment Paul Miller, based on his findings, recommended that the Koetsu be used with significantly higher VTA than other cartridges. I decided to set my 64S/Onyx in such a way and pretty much forgot about it, mainly using the other arms. The setting was way out of my comfort zone but at the time I thought I can always reset it later.

Due to the discourse here I revisited the Koetsu yesterday. I have been mainly listening to the Koetsu arm and SPU, revelling in the opulent bass and creamy mids. During that period I found the Ortofon to sound most controlled on the 30 ohms setting on my SUT and not the 3 ohms I usually use with the Koetsu. I forgot to reset it for the Koetsu.

I listened to 2 albums I had listened to the previous day. Weather Report's Night Passage and Peter Gabriel. With the Koetsu in its new setting, I literally felt like the man in the Maxell ad. Pastorius' bass nailed me to the wall, Shorter's Sax rasped in a way that it felt skin was peeling off my face, yet never turning harsh. On the Peter Gabriel more of the same. Percussion was fast, detailed, voices deep in the mix but in their pockets of air. This was so far removed from the usual Koetsu gentility that I actually got up to check that I had not accidentally cued the van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius!

I have owned this Onyx for almost 30 years. It has been rebuilt 4 or 5 times. It used to be top dog but is now way down on the preference list. I have never ever heard it as it sounds now. Thank you, Mr Miller! In an earlier post, I said I always drift away from the Koetsus but tend to always come back. Well, I'm back!

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
I’m half tempted to try my Koetsu on my other VPI with its Jelco sourced Audioquest Pt-6 now! I’d really need a heavier counterweight which I have had no luck finding. I have a new plain Jane DL103 riding in that arm now that sounds great with no damping fluid.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Btw, please share your loading experiences with your Koetsus, including your favorite SUTs. From what I know, the usual recommendation is 100 ohms but on my previous phono stage, I liked the sound better with 40 ohms. My present phono stage goes down to only 100 ohms.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing