Koetsu

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022
Montana Neo with TA7000 should work just a well with the Blue Lace since it has basically the same weight as the Coralstone, and same shape and size. The density of each of these stones will be the telling factor if finding differences in sound.
Thank you , yes i would think so :)

Reactions: jadis

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Montana Neo with TA7000 should work just a well with the Blue Lace since it has basically the same weight as the Coralstone, and same shape and size. The density of each of these stones will be the telling factor if finding differences in sound.
I have Blue Lace and Coralstone mounted on identical Ikeda headshells with identical leads & hardware - when I swap them out, they register exactly the same VTF with no adjustments, down to the 2nd decimal :)

I also have a somewhat "oddball" P022 Onyx Platinum that weights at least a couple grams more than any other stone body. It has visibly thicker walls! I had it rebuilt by Koetsu Japan circa 2018, so no concerns about it being "counterfeit". This was the 1st cartridge I tried to mount on a brand new Graham Phantom 10 years ago, and told Graham I needed the extra counterweight to balance it. They were like "impossible! the stock counterweight will support a Koetsu Onyx" lol

earl3090

Jun 7, 2019
Has anyone's stone body every cracked? If so, did it affect the sound?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I would believe it would not crack on its own; I've seen a totally dilapidated Onyx Long Body, but the body was still perfect.

Reactions: mulveling

earl3090

Jun 7, 2019
I would believe it would not crack on its own; I've seen a totally dilapidated Onyx Long Body, but the body was still perfect.
I wouldn’t think so either, but possibly from over tightening the screws in a headshell or tonearm. I picked up a used Onyx Platinum that has a crack in it, sounds amazing. It’s only 4 months old so I have a ticket in with Mofi thru the original owner to see if Koetsu will fix it under warranty. Just curious if this happened to anyone else but it doesn’t seem to be common.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wouldn’t think so either, but possibly from over tightening the screws in a headshell or tonearm. I picked up a used Onyx Platinum that has a crack in it, sounds amazing. It’s only 4 months old so I have a ticket in with Mofi thru the original owner to see if Koetsu will fix it under warranty. Just curious if this happened to anyone else but it doesn’t seem to be common.
There is like a hard plastic where the bolts go in to fasten it to the headshell. If there was overtightening, that should break, not the Onyx body or any part of it. I wonder if Koetsu will warranty it, as it means replacing the whole body, plus the innards, which becomes a brand new thing. Good luck though, I heard Koetsu looks at these situations on a 'case to case' basis. Btw, is the crack deep and how long is the crack line?

Reactions: mulveling

earl3090

Jun 7, 2019
There is like a hard plastic where the bolts go in to fasten it to the headshell. If there was overtightening, that should break, not the Onyx body or any part of it. I wonder if Koetsu will warranty it, as it means replacing the whole body, plus the innards, which becomes a brand new thing. Good luck though, I heard Koetsu looks at these situations on a 'case to case' basis. Btw, is the crack deep and how long is the crack line?
I talked to Steve Leung of VAS and he told me not to worry about it. I have a Vermillion so I'm familar with the sound in general. I've mounted it to a DS Audio headshell today, not the headshell pictured here but it sounds really good. Waiting to here back from Koetsu.

Attachments

• 20230303_141631.jpg
    20230303_141631.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 40

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
A crack on the body will definitely effect the sound but not necessarily in a bad way. It’s highly unlikely but on a rare occasion it may sound better. Do not believe anybody who says a crack doesn’t effect the sound cause everything effects the sound.

Reactions: Solypsa and Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Congratulations Mike! Hope you enjoy your new Koetsu. I’m sure you will love the sound from it. Just be calm when you align it, haha… ( very difficult to see the cantilever - as you will remember from last time). Hope to hear from you of how you find it in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

/ Jk

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Joined the club again with an under 50 hour Azule. Owned an RSP for 11 years (1999-2010) and miss that voice in my system from time to time. Always wanted a stone body Koetsu. Now that I’ll have more arms it’s time.
View attachment 105826
Welcome to the club indeed, Mike. And congratulations on having this lovely piece of work. Hoping to hear your findings on this new stone body. I have not seen nor heard an Azule so far.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Mike, next.........diamond cantilever.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hey Mike, next.........diamond cantilever.
considered it but decided not to go there. my Etsuro Gold's both have diamond cantilevers, and wanted a different kinda sound. and i have another cartridge coming with a diamond cantilever soon.

agree that in many ways the diamond cantilever Koetsu's do things at a higher level.

Reactions: Johan K

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was able to resist for about 2 years I gave in and ended up with three of them LOL

I am proud to say I am back on the wagon :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

Are you about to install your Koetsu today?
my Esoteric T1 arrives tomorrow or Tuesday replacing my now gone Saskia. initially i will only have one arm board and tonearm, as the "T1" arm boards for the Tosca and FCL are still 45 days out. that one tone arm with be the Ikeda TA-9D. the Azule will be my initial cartridge for that. so maybe within 48 hours i will be able to enjoy the Azule.:)

not sure how long it will be there as i have another cartridge coming, and i might also rotate one of my Miyajima Infinity Mono's there down the road. my plan is to have these on head shells so the change over is easy for this arm.

i also have a 12" Durand Telos with a wood arm wand, which will go back on the NVS when the FCL moves to the T1. the Telos will have one of the Infinity's or maybe the Azule as i move forward. that's my plan. the other cartridges will stay on their current arms.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Sounds great. Seems like you have your hands full in the near future. My plan is to get a Miyajima Infinity here later this year. I had the Zero here last summer and was very happy with the mono sound. Now just 2-3 weeks ago I heard the Infinity at one of my dealers place. Loved the sound from it. Then I’m sure of another Koetsu for my SL-1200G, the 0.2mV Vermillion, that is a very good match together with my AirTight SUT… so that one is probably something for the late summer or so.
Another thing for me that is on my list is the DS-Audio Ionizer… really need to get that one SOON.

Otherwise I’m quite happy for the moment.
I love the sound here, and did play for 12-13hours strait yesterday, before my wife pulled me out to the livingroom for a romantic late dinner with candles and wine and stuff, haha.
But early this morning I sneaked into the hifi-chamber again and has now spended like 12 more hours and me and my ears are not tired at all… that speak of a non fatigue sound. I have so much fun in here with all the gear and all the music… Great isn’t it:D !

/ Jk

Reactions: jadis

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing