Koetsu

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just read in a Koetsu user's group that somebody bought the last stone model in Singapore, and that all stones are gone as of now. The uncertainty made the demand stronger, apparently.

• Wow
Reactions: Johan K

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I also want to hoard but I have no source so for now money still with my employer.

Reactions: jadis

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm vary sad about all of this. I don't know how I want to go about using my little hoard. I surely shouldn't keep them boxed up and should use each periodically right?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm vary sad about all of this. I don't know how I want to go about using my little hoard. I surely shouldn't keep them boxed up and should use each periodically right?
You should, Jack. Just be very careful. I used my rosewood signature for 12 years and it was still doing good at that point.

Reactions: Johan K

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ideally, it's best to have 4 tonearms in a table and all your 4 Koetsus are installed. Better option than tonearm swapping or cartridge swapping (which is the most 'dangerous').

Reactions: joeling and Johan K

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just read in a Koetsu user's group that somebody bought the last stone model in Singapore, and that all stones are gone as of now. The uncertainty made the demand stronger, apparently.
Correction on this, the Singapore distributor still has a few stone bodies, as of this moment.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I’m thinking after the initial rush peeters out, if koetsu no longer makes cart, it might drop market price as what happened to transfiguration.

I could be wrong.

pursuitofnow

Sep 13, 2023
CA
If Koetsu does end up not doing anything with the business, I hope all the information to rebuild these cartridges is shared broadly.

Djcxxx

Nov 11, 2022
Has anyone here heard or can share another's insights on the Leopard platinum by chance?
I’ve had mine since end of June. Very smooth and detailed right out of the box. dialed in with surprising ease. I’ve had my boron Coralstone since 2020 and I don’t think it was as “right” at zero hours. I fiddled with the VTA and loading (50/100/150 ohms0. I load at 100 ohms and it seems just right. Given the current uncertainty I probably will not return to the Coralstone anytime soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2885.jpeg
    IMG_2885.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 23
Apr 4, 2022
I’ve had mine since end of June. Very smooth and detailed right out of the box. dialed in with surprising ease. I’ve had my boron Coralstone since 2020 and I don’t think it was as “right” at zero hours. I fiddled with the VTA and loading (50/100/150 ohms0. I load at 100 ohms and it seems just right. Given the current uncertainty I probably will not return to the Coralstone anytime soon.
How would you describe its sound?

Djcxxx

Nov 11, 2022
How would you describe its sound?
I do not possess a reviewer’s specialized vocabulary so this response may be lacking. My impression of the three Koetsu cartridges I’ve owned (Wajima, Coralstone, Leopard) is that their overall coherence, tonality, and soundstage depth are very satisfying, the stone bodies perhaps more so overall. The Koetsu, I believe, is best enjoyed without over analysis and reminds me that I enjoy music best when I feel it more than think about it.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's a recent review of the Coralstone. Prepare for some UK names like Red and PRO IV MODELS, as it's posted in a British magazine. Many details about Koetsu can be seen here. And they still call the Blue Lace as Blue Lace Agate.;)

• Love
Reactions: RickS and Johan K

apropos

Mar 4, 2023
Interestingly, despite apparently having an identical generator to the Onyx reviewed in HiFi News 2017, the Coralstone reviewed above had less output and a more linear frequency response.

The impact of the stone body on performance or an evolution of internal construction? All part of the Koetsu mystery.

Also interesting to note that compliance was measured at 12-13cu (i.e. identical to Onyx test result from 2017 review, and similar to Red K Signature/Rosewood Signature result from 2009 review [15]) - Koetsus are actually medium compliance cartridges!!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Also interesting to note that compliance was measured at 12-13cu (i.e. identical to Onyx test result from 2017 review, and similar to Red K Signature/Rosewood Signature result from 2009 review [15]) - Koetsus are actually medium compliance cartridges!!
That is good to know.

Reactions: RickS
Apr 4, 2022
That Coralstone review was interesting being an owner.
In my time with Koetsu’s I’ve found better performance with arms having a higher effective mass. Why that specifically is in context of mechanical relationship I guess is part of the mystery of Koetsu.

Reactions: jadis

krugdoktor

Aug 30, 2023
Vienna/Austria
That Coralstone review was interesting being an owner.
In my time with Koetsu’s I’ve found better performance with arms having a higher effective mass. Why that specifically is in context of mechanical relationship I guess is part of the mystery of Koetsu.
2 interesting articles:

Apr 4, 2022
2 interesting articles:
How’s that Carnelian sounding?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing