KR 242, Elrog 300, px4, px25, EML and KR 5u4g, and KR 274b

I use Jcat reference cable custom version with only one strand- no power , you may order such a version with Marcin Ostapowicz from Jplay/Jcat.

So what is difference between this and any other good USB cable, since you are not using the power?

I did not try any other usb cable with no power lead, I have a couple of usb cables but all of them have 2 strands- for data and power. My Jcat usb will not deliver the signal when the DAC requires power supply from the server, like my La Fontaine DAC.
In this case I use Entreq Konstantin usb cable with Eartha Silver grounding cable and Entreq Minimus to reduce the noise floor of usb transmission .
But no power at all is a better solution IMO if DAC has self powered usb board.

Last edited:
Hi Marslo

Would it have the same effect if I only connect the data strand and just don't connect the power strand of my dual strand-dual connector Lightspeed usb cable?

Hi Marslo

Would it have the same effect if I only connect the data strand and just don't connect the power strand of my dual strand-dual connector Lightspeed usb cable?

That should work, Christoph.

In fact funnily enough I suggested to Mark @ Sablon that he could design a prototype of this configuration about 6 weeks ago for the same reason.

All - does Lampi need a "handshake" of power? The dual headed cables were designed to allow the handshake and then you pull the power out as I understand.

Christoph,
It worth at least to try and check for yourself.
What kind of server do you use?

Audiophile Bill,

Will be very keen to give it a listen if Mark decides to follow your suggestion.

In fact funnily enough I suggested to Mark @ Sablon that he could design a prototype of this configuration about 6 weeks ago for the same reason.

All - does Lampi need a "handshake" of power? The dual headed cables were designed to allow the handshake and then you pull the power out as I understand.

Am now back from holiday and happy to make up a couple of data only USB cables if anyone wants to put them through their paces?!?

Sorry but I still don't get the difference. How does such a cable differ from a regular USB cable like say Totaldac or the Sablon you have, why would it give a different sound if you are not using the 5v power (which you are not with the other USBs)

The power conductor carries any high frequency noise from the source. Separating the power lead either physically or electrically by shielding does help mitigate the impact upon the data wires, however dropping the power will get rid of it completely

Ok get it thanks.

edit

The power conductor carries any high frequency noise from the source. Separating the power lead either physically or electrically by shielding does help mitigate the impact upon the data wires, however dropping the power will get rid of it completely

Is this not a concept that some manufacturors have already implemented, such as eg the Curious usb cable?

Btw, for those who might be interested in the very good sounding (see the many rave reviews on the Curious website) Curious usb cable: I have one of 0,8m available.

Is this not a concept that some manufacturors have already implemented, such as eg the Curious usb cable?

It is a reasonably well known concept, having come to attention with the dual headed Acoustic Revive USB cable several years ago.

Last edited:
It is a reasonably well known concept, having come to attention with the dual headed Acoustic Revive USB cable several years ago.

Not sure about the curious but it seems to be a kind of hybrid approach as there is still a 5v line on the outside of cable - dunno what it connects to and how.

We would not need hybrid of doubled headed as Lampi owners we should hopefully be able to go fully "pure signal" only if handshaking not needed, which was reason for the dual headed things (I believe).

I played the Kron px4 tonight not long just wanted to hear them
I burned them in for two hours first before a listen.
The tubes are nice they seem to be a 45 sound
Who said they sound like the px25 ?
They are along the lines of the anniversary eml lampi mesh 45
I did not do a direct A/B yet.
For me on my setup playing hi Rez dsd they lack the weight for good piano and vocals are light for men and woman
They are clean well detailed no vailing
They seem well
Proportioned in sound all around
If I add more bass to my towers they are very nice
Has anyone done a direct with the 45 mesh globes
They are close I think and I wonder if it adds in some ways
The tubes are very microohnic for me but as I use a preamp it's not an issue
More tomorrrow I also used the Kron 5u4b and tak recti

For me on my setup playing hi Rez dsd they lack the weight for good piano and vocals are light for men and woman
They seem well

Thanks Al. How would you describe the differences between the Kron and Tak recti? Do you consider the latter being really 'better'? If so, in what ways?

They seem well

Hi Al, in our shootout likke I said we found the px4 and Lampi 45 close with latter a bit better. Things like weight, bass, between px4 and 25 is a gain play IMO. Because in one system 25s sounded really the laggard while in another it had a lot of heft, grip, etc. So I was guessing it was a gain thing.

Try damping for the micrphonics

Good morning.
The tak or we 274b are worth while improvements
The Kron 5u4g is a very recti perhaps in some ways better than the rest of the group in noise level
Less grain , more musical
Now when you install one of the other two is a big jump
First is staging they both increase this in all dimensions pretty amazing
Now we must consider this is all an illusion no one knows what is really on there
While it achieves this it also makes the music much more natural sounding
I think this happens and is part of the staging increase
My main rig is the IRS v setup Ina large room made for them
All recti gives me staging even the solid state recti do and do this well
But no other recti does this in front to back and top to bottom.
Depth is the real staging that makes me feel it's real.
We all have recordings that have better or worse staging
The better recti shows better or worse but also improves the sound weather it's staging better or not
The difference between he tak and we274b is minimal
But it's there one add is the tak is a bit bass heavier so if ones systems needs this it's the better choice
As I say it's better please consider its me and we each have what we deem better
But consider this of the many posts I read and others I know who have them in other than dac setups as well the two above are a tube they prefer.

Good morning.
The tak or we 274b are worth while improvements
The Kron 5u4g is a very recti perhaps in some ways better than the rest of the group in noise level
Less grain , more musical
Now when you install one of the other two is a big jump
First is staging they both increase this in all dimensions pretty amazing
Now we must consider this is all an illusion no one knows what is really on there
While it achieves this it also makes the music much more natural sounding
I think this happens and is part of the staging increase
My main rig is the IRS v setup Ina large room made for them
All recti gives me staging even the solid state recti do and do this well
But no other recti does this in front to back and top to bottom.
Depth is the real staging that makes me feel it's real.
We all have recordings that have better or worse staging
The better recti shows better or worse but also improves the sound weather it's staging better or not
The difference between he tak and we274b is minimal
But it's there one add is the tak is a bit bass heavier so if ones systems needs this it's the better choice
As I say it's better please consider its me and we each have what we deem better
But consider this of the many posts I read and others I know who have them in other than dac setups as well the two above are a tube they prefer.

Hi All,

Fully understand (and agree with) your remark that nobody should consider the view of other listeners as the absolute truth because systems, acoustics, power, grounding, isolation, etc, etc. vary as well as (and maybe most importantly) personal preferences. However, the experiences of experienced listeners give others some interesting guidance. So just that I understand your post correctly, are you saying that the Kron recti is very close to the WE and Tak recti and the last two are even more close? I am asking in order to decide whether the Kron recti is a good alternative to the Tak recti or whether the latter (together with the WE 274B) still reigns supreme.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing