KR 242, Elrog 300, px4, px25, EML and KR 5u4g, and KR 274b

Sujay, could you also comment on the differences between the px5 and the anniversary 45 valves?

Yeah, sure.....apologies, just saw this. Now, this is purely my listening experience based on full SS electronics. While both have similar attributes, the 45 GM lampi are clearly better (except when it comes to quietness and lack of micro phonics, the px4 is clearly better)

- better ambience retrieval. Sense of recorded space is better felt and understood, which adds to the realism
- more air, clearly! This was one of the first things I noticed as soon as I switched
- px4 is more forward and aggressive, 45s more recessed and seem more detached from the speakers and therefore feel more 3- dimensional in imaging. I think this has something to do with their differing amplification factors
- dynamics are also slightly better, imo
- px4 has better slam but the 45s seem to have overall better base definition.

On the whole, I do have a clear preference for e 45 special edition. They seem to be a better overall tube. Especially given my balanced set up and SS electronics

If you are contemplating the 45s, it's a no brainier in my view, irrespective whether balanced or SE. Can't see you going wrong with this.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sujay

Yeah, sure.....apologies, just saw this. Now, this is purely my listening experience based on full SS electronics. While both have similar attributes, the 45 GM lampi are clearly better (except when it comes to quietness and lack of micro phonics, the px4 is clearly better)

- better ambience retrieval. Sense of recorded space is better felt and understood, which adds to the realism
- more air, clearly! This was one of the first things I noticed as soon as I switched
- px4 is more forward and aggressive, 45s more recessed and seem more detached from the speakers and therefore feel more 3- dimensional in imaging. I think this has something to do with their differing amplification factors
- dynamics are also slightly better, imo
- px4 has better slam but the 45s seem to have overall better base definition.

On the whole, I do have a clear preference for e 45 special edition. They seem to be a better overall tube. Especially given my balanced set up and SS electronics

If you are contemplating the 45s, it's a no brainier in my view, irrespective whether balanced or SE. Can't see you going wrong with this.

Hope this helped

Cheers

Sujay

Thanks much Sujay, appreciated. Of course such an evaluation is always system dependant and in the end personal preferences are very important as well but your description offers us a good overall picture. I have got the EML 45 anniversary valves available and I am planning to compare them with my Elrog and Takatsuki 300b tubes when my Takatsuki 274b recti has arrived.

Thanks much Sujay, appreciated. Of course such an evaluation is always system dependant and in the end personal preferences are very important as well but your description offers us a good overall picture. I have got the EML 45 anniversary valves available and I am planning to compare them with my Elrog and Takatsuki 300b tubes when my Takatsuki 274b recti has arrived.

Anytime....thx! Quite keen to know how the elrogs stack up. Believe now one can use the elrog 300b on the 45/101 settings on the big7/ GG?

Anytime....thx! Quite keen to know how the elrogs stack up. Believe now one can use the elrog 300b on the 45/101 settings on the big7/ GG?

Yep, that is what some of us are doing. I am still very fond of my Elrog 300b tubes but as mentioned before I need to try out in particular the 45 mesh anniversary valves in order to find out which I prefer in my Tidal LA set up. I will start experimenting once the Tak recti has arrived. That will probably take an additional 2-3 weeks.

Yep, that is what some of us are doing. I am still very fond of my Elrog 300b tubes but as mentioned before I need to try out in particular the 45 mesh anniversary valves in order to find out which I prefer in my Tidal LA set up. I will start experimenting once the Tak recti has arrived. That will probably take an additional 2-3 weeks.

I guess, we can wait....

For me it's not either/or.... I would like to have both the 45 and the 300b if I could. I'm almost sure the difference b/w 45 and 300b will be far more than 45 and px4

Cheers

Sujay

I've kind of given up on EML tubes. I think they look very well made, but I didn't like the smooth plate 45 as it threw too huge a soundstage, and I didn't like the quality of the bass. I didn't really like their 274B either. It might sound odd to say this but I felt it sounded too clean. A bit like everything had been polished, but I expect that makes no sense, LOL.

But each to their own. I like Ked's KR 300B so I am getting the PX-4s to try.

Those 300s aren't as good as Elrog, not close, and I prefer PXs and the special 45s much more. 242 for the big 7s if it works without distortion

I guess, we can wait....?

For me it's not either/or.... I would like to have both the 45 and the 300b if I could. I'm almost sure the difference b/w 45 and 300b will be far more than 45 and px4

Cheers

Sujay

Good to know we can all wait then ...

If I understood Bonzo/Kedar correctly in certain ways he prefers the Elrog 300b tubes to all other tubes (including his favourite px4 tubes). I still like them a lot so I suppose we agree: get them as well.

Good to know we can all wait then ...

If I understood Bonzo/Kedar correctly in certain ways he prefers the Elrog 300b tubes to all other tubes (including his favourite px4 tubes). I still like them a lot so I suppose we agree: get them as well.

To clarify, I prefer px4 and special 45s to Elrog, and Elrog are good change tubes, but I wouldn't have them as stock ones. They do have a way of spotlighting some instruments and with the EML mesh 45 (rather than the KR 5u4g solid plate), sound very airy and musical with arias. I demoed special 45s only in one system where I preferred them to the px4 and the distro and another guy also had the same preference in the first system documented in this thread as well (though I didn't hear the 45s that time).

There is no killer tube/valve.

From time to time, and as you tweak your system, preferences change, and the performance of each tube changes, even with something as simple as an interconnect change. Familiarity with a particular tube can breed contempt after a while, and a change is as good as a rest.

This flexibility is THE major plus of tube output DACs. But the flexibility of the B7/GG in terms of output tube choice is fantastic. What a fortunate bunch we are.

Sometimes I think tube rolling is a self-test, just to confirm that we can hear the differences. This aspect is pretty odd, if you think about it. It is like "why am I doing this?".

The philosophy and psychology of the act could be quite interesting, if given sufficient thought and analysis.

Do I renember you have the EML anniversary mesh tubes available as well? If that is indeed the case, how do these valves compare to the px4 in your view?

Sorry, this reply was intended for Khonfused rather than for Mike.

I do have them both and also the px25 and will compare again in due time. Just don`t know if I get around this week already. Will also throw in the Tak again.

Thanks and of course take all the time you need.

La Dolce Vita on the shark didn't like the PX4 so much but liked the special 45s (his favs) and 101ds. He hasn't heard Elrogs and 242s

La Dolce Vita on the shark didn't like the PX4 so much but liked the special 45s (his favs) and 101ds. He hasn't heard Elrogs and 242s

Thanks Ked. Always interesting to hear/learn from the experieces of other GG users. In the end we all need to make our own decisions based on our own systems and preferences. But as mentioned before, based on the input of various GG users the Tak/EML 25 anniversary tubes seem to be a very impressive combination. Will find out soon if I prefer it to the Tak/Elrog 300B conbination.

There is no killer tube/valve.

From time to time, and as you tweak your system, preferences change, and the performance of each tube changes, even with something as simple as an interconnect change. Familiarity with a particular tube can breed contempt after a while, and a change is as good as a rest.

This flexibility is THE major plus of tube output DACs. But the flexibility of the B7/GG in terms of output tube choice is fantastic. What a fortunate bunch we are.

Sometimes I think tube rolling is a self-test, just to confirm that we can hear the differences. This aspect is pretty odd, if you think about it. It is like "why am I doing this?".

The philosophy and psychology of the act could be quite interesting, if given sufficient thought and analysis.

Agreed Justin. Just like changing carts on TT...

Agreed Justin. Just like changing carts on TT...

Some valves or some carts are just different flavors otherwise equal. Some clearly do less on dynamics, details, bass, and control. Like with everything. Try comparing JJ 300b and electroharmonix 300b to either Kr 300b or Elrog on choral or orchestral

As of now, all people are in sync with their PX4s and special 45 tastes except that Marslo prefers the PX4, does not like the special 45, and La Dolce Vita vice versa. For others both are excellent with some preference to the 45s

Have been away for a few weeks so have only just been able to give the new PX4s a decent listen.
I have been impressed.

They have proved a significant improvement on the KR 2A3s that were in the machine initially - although these sounded excellent to me when I auditioned the GG.

The PX4s produce a more palpable sound, seem more spacious, extra lower end and weight. They do have a higher amplification value, so have tried to compensate when making comparisons.

Last edited:
Have been away for a few weeks so have only just been able to give the new PX4s a decent listen.
I have been impressed.

They have proved a significant improvement on the KR 2A3s that were in the machine initially - although these sounded excellent to me when I auditioned the GG.

The PX4s produce a more palpable, sound seem more spacious, extra lower end and weight. They do have a higher amplification value, so have tried to compensate when making comparisons.

I bought the special 45s and am buying PX4s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing