LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hm. This DAC may be responsible for depleting GEC KT66 stocks quite rapidly!

I might buy some for investment purposes heh heh.
Already got a quad ;)

Reactions: fbs

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Do you have a link to purchase this tube? Should I ask Fred?
Based upon the comments made here in this thread,I'm going to grab some GEC KT66 and Genalex KT77. What is the consensus for a great rectifier for these tubes,besides the RK rect?
What recti did you get with the Dac?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I take it the 4p1L tubes are no longer useful with the TRP?

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I called my tube dealer,and he wanted $200.00 for a 'potato masher',which isnt much cheaper than some of the top tier rectifiers. That seems a bit high,no?
:eek::rolleyes: Very nice guy...you have two potato masher tubes same tube designation but one ends with A other with B. Same tube but one was more rigorously tested and selected. Even original package is different...

Reactions: Monsterzero

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Heh, heh, one pair less :eek:

You inviting new members to the Lampi community? ;-)

I've just completed payment on the used "Golden" Atlantic that was posted on Audiomart and the conversion to a TRP, with a set of faux XLR ports added. I just hope going unbalanced works out in SQ and power because the cost of rt shipping was nearly $400, and that's at a relatively favorable current USD/Euro rate. Btw, the 2019 Price List table on the Lampi Poland site is misleading about the Atlantic to Atlantic 2 TRP conversion price. It's actually 2000 Euros, not the 1000 that shows. The latter is without the 53 engine, but nobody would want the upgrade without that. It's been brought to Lukasz's attention and will presumably be clarified soon.

Reactions: fbs

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
You are up to a one huge treat for your ears:).
Congrats and great choice you made!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
You are up to a one huge treat for your ears:).
Congrats and great choice you made!

Thanks. I'm grateful for your reports about tubes, something that I'll likely take advantage of once the unit is burned in. Once nice thing about the conversion is that the warranty and thus trade up policy treats it as new, rather than as an extension of the original purchase.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
More detailed insights from Fabio:
“Did some further comparison between the GEC KT66 and Genalex KT77. After having had the KT66 in the system for several weeks I changed back to the KT77 and was first impressed by the presence, slam and details I got. The soundstage moves much closer to the listener. Dynamics and microdetails are great. At times I almost had a heartattack when an unexpected impulse hit my body. It reaches slightly deeper in the bass than the KT66. However, bass control is inferior to the KT66 with more focus on the very low end and a slight dip in the upper mid bass. The high gain, dynamics and details come at the cost of being less musical. Some music can sound a bit forced and nervous at times. The KT66 is more relaxed with lower noisefloor. Music just flows better. Details are presented in a more natural manner. Both tubes have excellent treble extension and reach deep down (the KT77 a bit deeper). Think of the GEC KT66 as a better version of the Brimar 6L6G.

If your system is a bit sleepy, you’re looking for more dynamics and punch or your pre-amp has a low input gain I would chose the KT77. If you want to calm down things and you are rather into long-term relaxed listening go for the KT66. Both tubes are exceptional in their own ways. I compared them in the TRP with the RK Ann. Rectifier.”

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
To what degree is there tube to tube variation, hence the possibility of different results in repeat tests?

Last edited:

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Don‘t think so, I could do some GEC to GEC comparisons soon. In general I can follow Fabio‘s observation posted by Golum. I have high efficiency speakers and the pre has dynamic and punch. In this setup, the Genalex KT77 are an excellent tube with a slight trend to be too pushy. Compared to my previous digital setup I‘m absolutely satisfied with this trend.

The GEC climb up the ladder several steps, as stated. In my system, the bass was even deeper more precise, the musical flow exceptional!!!

Reactions: Golum

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Doing a little planning: How tall is the Atlantic TRF with tubes, including feet? Thanks,

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Doing a little planning: How tall is the Atlantic TRF with tubes, including feet? Thanks,
With KT66 output tubes and stock rectifier: about 10 inches, or about 25 centimeters.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing