LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: DeadWax

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I found the dimensional specs on the Lampi website and see they add 10cm to the height to account for the tubes. This will fit into my rack so the first hurdle is eliminated - or is budget the first hurdle? ha

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Tic tac time is over and here it goes as always great review from my dear friend Fabio:

Update on Tesla EL51.

“After having made great experiences with Tesla E88CC Gold Grid tubes in my Einstein Pre (my reference tube) I ordered two pairs of EL51‘s from a trusted dealer in the Czech Republic. The tubes are not fully burnt in yet but after testing them on my headphone setup and the main rig today, I feel I can provide a reliable first assessment. So far I have tested these with the Philco and the Shuguang GZ480 recti. Will also pull out Taka, RK and ACME in the next fee days to try.

Maybe I start with some useful information
1. these tubes need an adapter
2. the height including adapter is 22cm - you need a lot of space in your rack
3. the anode is on top so the adapter with the anode cap on top may visually not be to your liking

In terms of sound they need to compete against my favorite tube the PSVane 6CA7 which has become the reference for me in the TRP. I have tested quite a few more tubes in the TRP the last couple of months. If I don’t write anything you can assume it is inferior by quite a margin and thus not worth reporting.

The first things that came to my mind when hearing the EL51 first is timbre, detail and midrange beauty. This tube sounds so organic and real as I have not heard it yet in the TRP. The coulours and details of acoustic instruments is to die for.

The noise floor is very low so you can hear literally everything that is on a recording. These tubes get the silence right: background is pitch black and notes emerge from it in the most natural way.

The midrange is powerful but open and clean. Voices are carved out in a lovely way: rich but not dark, pulpable with all the facettes and colours. Contrast and rendering of individual elements is phenomenal. I immediately realized that the sound is much more alive at low listening levels.

Treble is open with good presence and attack but without being harsh or having any issues with sibliants. Bass is fast and controlled with good attack and short decay. But bass quantity is clearly less compared to the PSVane 6CA7 or the Gold Lion KT77. For a system that lacks in the lower department or if room filling bass is a key objective this may not be your tube. I haven’t moved the speakers closer to the backwall yet (as I’m perfectly happy with the sound) but I‘ll try out new positioning in the coming days to see whether eveb more is possible.

In terms of soundstage they do well. Compared to the PSVanes the focus shifts to the upper mids and treble. It might sound s bit less massive and room filling with certain recodings but I think that has mostly to do with the leaner bass.

One thing which impressed me is that despite the high level of detail the sound is the opposite of being analytical. Often details in studio recordings detract from the music. Here it is somehow the opposite. It really pulls you deeply into the music, removing all barriers such as microphones and recording gear, creating this intimacy between you and the artists. Because of this intimacy I listened mostly to singer songwriter stuff today. I‘ll have to check with more genres in the next few days.

But I‘m seriously impressed and happy that I was convinced to buy these.”
2D6CC771-3751-4AF7-B408-5C7A66D593A1.jpeg FA5E833D-8395-425D-8862-03E4E0B5538F.jpeg E8A3E50E-517E-4D0E-B502-2262743ED833.jpeg

Last edited:

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Very nice report, interesting output tubes. Keen to read about the further recti comparisons.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Good to see more Tesla awesomeness.

Lampi doesn't support 2A3. Market gap!

Bang!

A truly Proportional DAC in a category of its own.
Seductive sound like Vinyl LP. Worthy of the best systems.
With the excellent linear JJ Electronics 2A3 we achieved what
we had never heard of it! Pure music! It accepts all 2A3 & Mesh plate and the Mythical 45 DHT (with orders)! Power supply with rectifier 274B / 5U4G DHT & Chuck DC Lundahl C-Core 19,000 Gauss. With Lundahl C-Core Exhaust Transformers 19,000 Gauss 1: 1 and 2A3 input guidance with Lundahl Transformer mu-metal, the Analytics Absolute Color, Quiet and Excellent Timing with Quick Micro / Long Dynamics in the voices it is unique. Top Bodies in the whole Frequency Spectrum with top Bass that other DACs can't even reproduce.

Never before have you really heard the capabilities of a Digital System with such an Analysis according to you we sign it!

With 2 inputs: USB 2.0 / SPDIF.

Greek 2A3 / 45 DAC

Note it uses the JL Sounds galvanised USB input I was thinking about using.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Does anyone else feel like they are at the UN and someone has turned off their translation device?

Google Translate for you. State of the art translation, obviously!;)

I actually meant to post in the tube roller's thread. Damn.

Last edited:

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
Congrats on the TRP, please comment on your listening experience. Which tubes did you choose?
Thanks! Wasn't given an option there - whatever is best available I was told so we will see upon its arrival in a few weeks...

Reactions: christoph and fbs

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Looks like we have some momentum here...I have a TRP arriving in a few weeks as well ;)

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Congrats. Which tubes do you have in mind?
Honestly I'm not sure where I'm going to head first other than let the stock EL34s run in and assess at that point. I need to a establish a baseline to figure out which direction to dial in...or perhaps it will be perfect for quite a while as is?

Reactions: christoph and fbs

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Yes, the stock EL34 is a good starting point :), :rolleyes: no it will not be perfect unless you stop immediately following this thread. ;)

Reactions: DeadWax

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Honestly I'm not sure where I'm going to head first other than let the stock EL34s run in and assess at that point. I need to a establish a baseline to figure out which direction to dial in...or perhaps it will be perfect for quite a while as is?
That is a good way to go :cool:
Use what you have and get to know it well, then be open for options :D
What EL34 brand will you get?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Who said el34 is a stock tube? It may be 5881 as well the one which will show at the door step...;)

Reactions: owen lawlor

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Good to see more Tesla awesomeness.

Lampi doesn't support 2A3. Market gap!

Bang!

A truly Proportional DAC in a category of its own.
Seductive sound like Vinyl LP. Worthy of the best systems.
With the excellent linear JJ Electronics 2A3 we achieved what
we had never heard of it! Pure music! It accepts all 2A3 & Mesh plate and the Mythical 45 DHT (with orders)! Power supply with rectifier 274B / 5U4G DHT & Chuck DC Lundahl C-Core 19,000 Gauss. With Lundahl C-Core Exhaust Transformers 19,000 Gauss 1: 1 and 2A3 input guidance with Lundahl Transformer mu-metal, the Analytics Absolute Color, Quiet and Excellent Timing with Quick Micro / Long Dynamics in the voices it is unique. Top Bodies in the whole Frequency Spectrum with top Bass that other DACs can't even reproduce.

Never before have you really heard the capabilities of a Digital System with such an Analysis according to you we sign it!

With 2 inputs: USB 2.0 / SPDIF.

Greek 2A3 / 45 DAC

Note it uses the JL Sounds galvanised USB input I was thinking about using.
Al's HeadDac does support 2A3 and JJ is not a good 2A3. Al used the much better EML mesh 2A3.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Who said el34 is a stock tube? It may be 5881 as well the one which will show at the door step...;)
I presumed the TRP will arrive with EL34's of unknown brand based on this description from Lampi's website:

"...as standard you get the finest EL34 that we can obtain from series production."

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Friend of mine few weeks ago received GA+ TRP with 5881 for example...and EML rectifier...

Reactions: owen lawlor

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Friend of mine few weeks ago received GA+ TRP with 5881 for example...and EML rectifier...
Interesting...I guess we will see!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Guys whoever needs or is interested in El51 to El34 adapters, this is the mail address from the shop in China where they did it for me: market@ak985.com.
I asked for several more pcs to be produced via ebay and I asked to send me a link for his ebay shop/ad where he will plug in these adapters. Anyhow I guess you can also order them directly via email or via ebay link which I hope I will be able to provide.
One note from my side - I do not have anything to do with this seller - I ordered all my adapters from him/them via ebay and they based on my request made those custom made ones, so from my experience they really are a shop you can trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks. Is thar the same eBay seller as this: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-Philips-4654-TO-EL34-6L6-tube-converter-adapter-/201435636474. According to your tube source, this adapter will likely work, as the 4654 uses the same base as the EL51, but it would have to be modified by the seller because the internal wiring is a little different and the anode wire would need to be longer.

1) The EL51 has both cathode and grid 3 on pin 4, while the 4654 has cathode and shield on pin 4 and grid 3 on pin 5.

2) The 4564’s height = 135 mm vs 171 mm for the EL51, and the latter is 8 mm wider.
https://tubedata.altanatubes.com.br/sheets/030/4/4654.pdf
https://tubedata.altanatubes.com.br/sheets/030/e/EL51.pdf

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing