LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Nope, not the same eBay seller. Honestly I did not go into details with him when I ordered those - just told him I need and adapter from EL51 to EL34 and that was it. And I even think the price was the same as for ad1n to UX4 adapter. Nice guy...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Tesla do an EL34 (or more accurately did) I saw some on ebay looking nice just the other day.

Worth a try for someone.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Who knows Norman but looking at eBay at the moment they are reasonably priced. Some 37 cross swords on there now.

The Tesla Vrsovice factory entrance today. Any tube marked 32 was made by Vrsovice.

Screenshot_20200619-125525.jpg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Guys who ever needs adapters from El51 to El34 tubes this is the only place where you can source them at the moment (as far as i know), as they are custom made for us:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/313123187191

Cheers,
G

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Few more details about the synergy between el51 amd diff rectifiers from Fabio:

“Spent more time with the EL51 and rolled some rectifiers. Results are very consistent and in line with what these tubes deliver in other settings.

Kron RK 5U4G: linear, good bass, flatter than others but good detail retrieval. Most ss-sounding of the bunch

PSVANE Acme 274B: great treble extension. More forward and more pulpable than the Kron. Leanest sounding of the bunch: suited for systems which are a bit heavy in bass and lower midrange.

Philco 1948 5U4G: Darkest sounding rectifier. Beautiful lower midrange and full bass. The perfect tube for male voices. It really shines with singer/songwriter anf folk music.

Takatsuki 274B: similar to Philco but slightly faster bass and better treble extension. Great inner tension. Full and forward midrange and great weight.

Shuguang GZ480: great upper midrange and treble. Airiness is comparable to Acme but with more midrange and bass. Hence, fuller sound. Great soundstage with voices hanging slightly higher in the air compared to others. Moves a lot of air and produces a direct, involving and dynamic sound.

So most of this doesn’t sound new to you if you heard these rectifier tubes. I couldn’t say that the EL51 is a perfect match with just one or two of them. It works with all. The choice is very dependent on system match and hearing preferences. I prefer the Shuguang GZ480 for the scale, treble extension and dynamics. It is a very complete tube.

Compared to my initial assessment the bass has improved with additional burn-in time. It reaches deeper now while still being very controlled and hard hitting. Also, the tubes got slightly more musical compared to the first few hours. It has to be said though that the changes - while being clearly audible - are not like day and night as for example with the PSVANE 6CA7, wich opened up massively in the upper midrange and treble after approx. 30 hours. My EL51 sounded good right from the start.

Also, I want to share again my enthusiasm. In my opinion, these play in a different league than all other output tubes I heard to date. Definition, presence, tone, details and imaging are head and shoulders above the rest. There’s not even a comparison. Also soundstage is massive and on par with the PSVANES. The background is pitch black and there‘s a calmness, superiority and sublimity I have not yet experienced.

The EL51 produce a present, euphonic, organic and pulpable sound. You can almost touch the music or the artist in the room. You’ll suddenly hear things which were rather grayish and flat in the background before. Now these elements are rendered precise and clear with contrast and detail. This overload of detail and presence may seem a little analytical initial but once you get used to it and with more burn-in time the music speaks as one. These tubes generate the most realistic and emotional sound I heard to date.

My system is on a whole new level (not exaggerating here). The EL51 brought way more than just a little tonal change. Even after a few weeks I constantly sit in front of my speakers with a big grin on my face experiencing old, familiar music in a completely new way.

If you have a TRP you should get these tubes and I sincerely hope they will transform your system in the same way as they did mine.”

Happy rolling guys...

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
GA2+TRP has finally landed! It's spectacular and looks amazing in the dark with the tubes glowing and LEDs Pictures don't do it justice. Am hearing a lot of tics and pops though - like listening to a very dirty and scratched LP. Any ideas what the cause of this might be? Using the BNC input for now (until I get the Sigma USB). EDIT: One of the Pvane EL34 output tubes was not fully seated I discovered after moving the streamer closer so as to be able to use the very short Lush USB with my Lumin U1 Mini. Only saw this after being at eye level with the pins and it took quite a bit of force to set that tube all the way in. Right now this unit is outrageously good with only a handful of hours on it. The transparency, bass, dynamics and detail are surreal - with performers beamed into the listening room. Literally had goosebumps and the hairs raised up on the back of my neck listening to Yosi Horakawa's Bubbles. Frank Sinatra was beamed into my room! Hearing details that I've never heard before etc etc. I cannot remember goosebumps EVER happening after 30 plus years of being jaded in this hobby! Layering like no digital front end I've heard although the stacked MSB reference may be close - tough to tell without a head to head comparison. I cannot imagine that it gets better than this with GG2 and Pacific! Kudos Lukasz!
IMG_9136.jpg IMG_8576.jpg

Last edited:

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
So I've been playing around with the Shuguang GZ480 and PSVANE Acme 274B in my TRP with Gold Lion KT77s and EH 6CA7s and, gosh darn, I can't tell a lick of difference between the two. If I really strain, maybe the GZ480 is deeper with the lower frequencies, and maybe, the 274B, puts the vocals up front more. I even had my musician son come in and tell me what he thinks...he looks at me and goes it all sounds good. Exactly. Damn, the young are smart. :D

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Isn't that a standard teen answer to parents? ;) The question I would have is on the cool to warm scale, where do each fall in terms of what they bring.

My Tesla EL51's and adapters just arrived -- <two weeks to the States and 6 days of the local PO mucking around with the adapters. It's going to be fun to see what they offer vs. the GEC KT66's.

Follow up: After the very good GEC KT66's, it's been quite a surprise to hear the Tesla's. Out of the box high power, dynamic range, clarity and large stage. They're a bit tonally less warm than the GEC, but have to see how they settle in -- 75-100 hrs? -- and tweak as needed with rectifiers from there (burning in Fivre 5U4G's in TRP and preamp right now). Mightily impressed. It will be interesting to see what the GZ480 has to add.

Last edited:

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Yeah, I can recognize a little more separation of instruments when the music reaches a climax with the PSVANE.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
TRP no.3 up and running on Tesla el51 nitroglicerin fuel...spot on finding by Fabio.
No.4 at @Alrainbow place getting proper burn in so waiting to see what Al has to say about them...
FCD46D28-7A68-4215-90F6-A38B3E92CB37.jpeg ACDE18DA-C4B2-499B-ADBB-13998D692F90.jpeg E9FACCD6-160F-441A-9C96-FAFC0DC67E46.jpeg

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
My Tesla pair is now 75 hours in and for the past 15 hours it’s been exactly as Fabio describes. Golum suggested I use the 596 as recti and that is a good match for the kind of tonality I like (tho maybe it could use a little more pronounced bottom end). I’m not sure of Fabio’s use of the Callisto, but at least here it seems to be a kicker in what is coming out of the EL51s. I’ve been using a TotalDac USB cable/filter for several years, which has very natural warmth, smoothness, soundstage, clarity, etc. It runs between an SSD full of music files and a modified-to-digital-only Oppo 203. Earlier this week I swapped in a a three month old Callisto I picked up from a guy in Australia — thank you internet — and let it run continuously for 36 hours, then listened. It was like something I’d never heard before. As Fabio described, explosive, black background, large, articulate, transparent, midrange presence, alive without being edgy.. Just in another league, as if someone had finally allowed me in the high end listening room (for some reason, in spite of my older executive appearance, shops have always been steered in the other direction)..

But then I started wondering how much of this was the Callisto and how much the Tesla’s moving along in burnin. Comparing the two USB cables, it was immediately apparent that the Callisto brings more energy, transparency and articulation, all of which enhance the Tesla’s own, if not also its slight mid-high balance. In playing at modestly loud levels, It’s such a powerful pairing that sometimes I’m having to adjust the volume because on louder, closer miked passages they are apt to get those room modes going. Have to see if this smooths out with time.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I got the Fabio feeling with straight up CD playback from a Transport and SPDIF connector, so its not just the Callisto!

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I did too from the get-go before the Callisto arrived.. The point I was trying to make is that by being able to compare cables, which I suspect Fabio probably hadn’t, what the Callisto’s characteristics add to the mix might not have been appreciated. I don’t have a transport in the PS Audio sense, but with the Oppo having a beefed up power supply, and using a PAD Neptune spdif cable, along with Hi Fidelity magnetic adapters and an iFi ipurifier powered by a Paul Hynes LPS in the run to the TRP, I was already able to get a lot out of the Teslas. The Callisto at the source added an extra unexpected ingredient that hadn’t quite been there with another very good USB cable. My set up is a bit unique and a similar result with the Tesla’s can no doubt be accomplished in other ways.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
We’re all on Callisto Gene:cool::D

Reactions: fbs

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Well, there you have it then.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
My Atlantic TRP came in just over a week ago and it's taken me the whole past week to read through this entire thread, but what a wealth information and experience! Burned in the stock Shuguang rectifier and EL34's and have just now started to experiment with rolling. Current production Genalex KT77's just got dropped in 2 hrs ago and wow, they are quite tight, dynamic, and punchy while retaining good low end and not being overly bright on top (which was my worry). These can dance with a lot of music styles I'm sure. By comparison the Shuguang EL34's were a bit laid back and slightly flabby but romantic and quite enjoyable with acoustic jazz.

In the next 2 weeks I should have a Psvane ACME 274b and a pair of NOS GEC KT66's arriving. This thread has been so helpful for getting my footing quite quickly. many thanks to all!

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. My name is Pal and I'm from Hungary. (I noticed the typo in my user name only after I registered and I couldn't change it).
I gained lots pf i formation from this thread so I wNted to say thank you to everyone.
Today I received my refurbished Atlantic TRP from the Lampizator factory and I when I got it up and running I was floored. This is the first time I have heard a Lampizator DAC. I bought it blind on the spur of the raving reviews.
While I was waiting for my order to be shipped and delivered, I was listening to my MARANTZ SA14S1 SE CD/SACD player (it can be used as a DAC too) and honestly, I could not imagine that the sound I was hearing could be bettered. NO WAY, I said. How? My system is modest but sounds great (MARANTZ PM8005 driving a pair of Dynaudio Excite X18 speakers and a Dynavoice T12 Thunder closed active sub).
And today after letting some time for the supplied tubes to warm up, I pressed play ('Companion' by Patricia Barber - DSD rip of the Mo-Fi SACD) and I understood what the expression 'as if you were there' meant...
Lots of things to listen to during the weekend.
One question: when do you know that the tubes have been worn out and need replacing?

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I just bought a one-year-old GA TRP from an Audiomart seller, so I guess I am about to see what the fun is all about. :) It will go into my secondary system, Wall M50 monoblocks, NAT Audio Magnetic preamp, Lumin T-2, Tonian Classic 12.1 S speakers (PHY silver drivers). It will replace a PS Audio Directstream Dac. I am assuming that will be an upgrade in sound quality.

It was this thread that convinced me to pull the trigger. I am afraid I will now spend most of the next year rolling tubes... ;) Thanks to all the kind, knowledgeable posters on this site.

Ian
SE Florida, USA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing