LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

Can anyone give me guidance on where the best setting for the volume control is? I have been experimenting between -5 to -7 db on the GA. That means the NAT peramp is about halfway for comfortable listening levels. I would imagine to some extent the settings are output tube dependent since different tubes will have different amounts of gain.

Thanks.

I found the best setting depends on the preamp, at least in part on its gain. With a PrimaLuna, it was around -27 dB, while with a Supratek -15 dB and the preamp gain knob set at half offers the best combination of SQ and volume control with the preamp. Lampi NA said to set the TRP at full volume, but I didn’t like the result. Someone here or elsewhere suggested setting it so the preamp volume knob runs between 10 & 2 o’clock, but at -15 dB, I don’t find need to go past 12 often. So I suggest experimenting with the pair to find the best SQ, given the volume level of what you play and like needs.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Looking for help. Just got a USB cable, using ROON. Lampi will not accept DSD512. Won't play anything above DSD128. Here is a picture of the back panel. It states it should render DSD512. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm bummed because I wanted a DAC that accepted DSD512.

Fed from an SSD through a digital-only Oppo 203 to the TRP via spdif, I’ve found there’s no sound with the few DSD files I have. I haven’t tried them by switching the Oppo to convert everything to PCM.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Spidif is only used for pcm files due to its limited bandwidth.

I’ll have to check my settings, but I play DSD files up to 256 and can hear the difference.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If you play dsd into spidif and hear music it’s being truncated before the input. and yes you can still hear a varying sound anyway. My msb stack played dsd into spidif it’s a lie lol it simply reduces the bits to a accommodate bandwith

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am currently using the GEC Kt66 and the Psvane Acme 274b.
I do not have the Psvane 6ca7-tii.

I find the GEC KT66 and the ACME 274b have a good synergy :cool:

The Psvane 6ca7-II are excellent output tubes for the TRP and are more linear than the NOS GEC KT66 and still deliver that magic but I prefer the RK 5u4g, the Takatsuki 274b and the Shuguang GZ480 as matching rectifiers over the the ACME 274b

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello cris hope all is well. I don’t own the acme glad I did not push to get it. how do you feel about the gz480 compared to the tak ? Look forward to your thoughts. Did you get to hear a set of Tesla e51 ? got them too now

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
I did want to try the Psvane 6CA7 TII but noticed that Grant Fidelity is only selling singles. Are there any other good sources? TubeAmpDoctor is out of stock. The Chinese vendors give me pause....
I really like the 6CA7 t2 one of my favorites with the psvane acme 274b. Don’t care much for the Gold Lion KT 66 but have not tried the GEC’s from the 50’s. I’m also in the US but got mine from Tube Amp Doctor. They arrived here faster than my 274b Did from psvane in Canada.

Reactions: Golum and DeadWax

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have all tubes you Guys are posting about. There is no best nor is it fair to say one is better overall. while yes some just suck to me we hear so differently it’s a tough call.
Only the acme I don’t own. while I do like the Tesla better it’s not a big change over the ps vanes. on a side note both Tesla n ps vane need above avg burn in time. Min to me is 50 hours or so. only one other tube to me needed that much time. Now buying a new nos still needs burn in and I feel even a used nos too.

Reactions: HungarianPal

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Really enjoying the Gen Gold Note KT66 with the Shuguang GZ 480 recti right now. I am not getting the fatigue that others have stated with the KT66s. It might be because for the last few days I have been testing some vintage original Advent Large speakers. The 66s might be too bright for newer, more transparent speakers.

Reactions: Alrainbow

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I find the GEC KT66 and the ACME 274b have a good synergy :cool:

The Psvane 6ca7-II are excellent output tubes for the TRP and are more linear than the NOS GEC KT66 and still deliver that magic but I prefer the RK 5u4g, the Takatsuki 274b and the Shuguang GZ480 as matching rectifiers over the the ACME 274b

I just got a pair of NOS GEC KT-66 today. In my setup (Takatsuki 274b), Wall SET amps, NAT Audio preamp, I prefer the Psvane 6CA7s. The GEC was a little too soft for my liking. The Psvane with the Takatsuki rocks. YMMV.

Reactions: christoph

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I found the best setting depends on the preamp, at least in part on its gain. With a PrimaLuna, it was around -27 dB, while with a Supratek -15 dB and the preamp gain knob set at half offers the best combination of SQ and volume control with the preamp. Lampi NA said to set the TRP at full volume, but I didn’t like the result. Someone here or elsewhere suggested setting it so the preamp volume knob runs between 10 & 2 o’clock, but at -15 dB, I don’t find need to go past 12 often. So I suggest experimenting with the pair to find the best SQ, given the volume level of what you play and like needs.

It's not so easy with the NAT because it doesn't have a standard volume control, the volume control network is executed with 28 relays. WIthin each of these relays there are 3 or 4 different settings as well. I never counted but I bet it's about 100 clicks from 0 to full gain. Right now I have volume set at about halfway and the Lampi at -8db. I will continue to play around with it but much louder than -8 seems too high, and lower than -12 I just trun up the preamp and it's hard to hear much of a difference.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Does anyone know the fuse value on the GA TRP? Has anyone upgraded theirs? I have had very good success in the past using Synergistic fuses. I know it might sound crazy, but we know USB cables matter (even though 'bits are bits', LOL) so why not fuses?

Thanks.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing