LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Anyone have experience with early (pre-1940s) tubes? There are a couple of nice examples of RCA & Philco recitifers on eBay but I'd hate to spend $300-$400 on a tube blind. There are also some slightly more recent war-time Brimar and Fivre 5U4Gs.

I love the DAC but I can see you could really going down a rabbit hole with the TRP rolling tubes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Suggest taking your time. Find something that works well with the KT66's and live with that for awhile. Or go with the Tesla EL51 and find something that works with your tastes.

Reactions: ihmeyers

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
What are the risks of rolling NOS tubes?
I have just ordered a Chatham potato masher recti on ebay. This German seller tests all of his tubes and lists the mA numbers (e.g. 95mA / 95mA, which is around 95% for the masher) and adds that the tubes are tested on an RBG 4/3 tester from Max Funke. No mentions of shorts, leakage...

Is it safe to install the tube? Do you guys always test a tube yourself before rolling?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Almost 0% risk. I only ever had 1 problem with a bad rectifier years ago and the Dac did an auto shutoff. Just roll away and be happy. 95% is very very good. Almost no Dac owner has tube testing gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: HungarianPal

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
I have never tested and no problems so far (knock on wood).

Reactions: HungarianPal

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Thank you for the replies on rolling.

Have you tried 5y3GB tubes? The filament is 1.6A

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Few more details about the synergy between el51 amd diff rectifiers from Fabio:

“Spent more time with the EL51 and rolled some rectifiers. Results are very consistent and in line with what these tubes deliver in other settings.

Kron RK 5U4G: linear, good bass, flatter than others but good detail retrieval. Most ss-sounding of the bunch

PSVANE Acme 274B: great treble extension. More forward and more pulpable than the Kron. Leanest sounding of the bunch: suited for systems which are a bit heavy in bass and lower midrange.

Philco 1948 5U4G: Darkest sounding rectifier. Beautiful lower midrange and full bass. The perfect tube for male voices. It really shines with singer/songwriter anf folk music.

Takatsuki 274B: similar to Philco but slightly faster bass and better treble extension. Great inner tension. Full and forward midrange and great weight.

Shuguang GZ480: great upper midrange and treble. Airiness is comparable to Acme but with more midrange and bass. Hence, fuller sound. Great soundstage with voices hanging slightly higher in the air compared to others. Moves a lot of air and produces a direct, involving and dynamic sound.

So most of this doesn’t sound new to you if you heard these rectifier tubes. I couldn’t say that the EL51 is a perfect match with just one or two of them. It works with all. The choice is very dependent on system match and hearing preferences. I prefer the Shuguang GZ480 for the scale, treble extension and dynamics. It is a very complete tube.

Compared to my initial assessment the bass has improved with additional burn-in time. It reaches deeper now while still being very controlled and hard hitting. Also, the tubes got slightly more musical compared to the first few hours. It has to be said though that the changes - while being clearly audible - are not like day and night as for example with the PSVANE 6CA7, wich opened up massively in the upper midrange and treble after approx. 30 hours. My EL51 sounded good right from the start.

Also, I want to share again my enthusiasm. In my opinion, these play in a different league than all other output tubes I heard to date. Definition, presence, tone, details and imaging are head and shoulders above the rest. There’s not even a comparison. Also soundstage is massive and on par with the PSVANES. The background is pitch black and there‘s a calmness, superiority and sublimity I have not yet experienced.

The EL51 produce a present, euphonic, organic and pulpable sound. You can almost touch the music or the artist in the room. You’ll suddenly hear things which were rather grayish and flat in the background before. Now these elements are rendered precise and clear with contrast and detail. This overload of detail and presence may seem a little analytical initial but once you get used to it and with more burn-in time the music speaks as one. These tubes generate the most realistic and emotional sound I heard to date.

My system is on a whole new level (not exaggerating here). The EL51 brought way more than just a little tonal change. Even after a few weeks I constantly sit in front of my speakers with a big grin on my face experiencing old, familiar music in a completely new way.

If you have a TRP you should get these tubes and I sincerely hope they will transform your system in the same way as they did mine.”

Happy rolling guys...

Thank you Golum & Fabio!

I just bought a matched pair of 1962 Telsa EL51s from eBay and a pair of adapters from Golum's source. Probably be a month or so before I can get them plugged in because the adapters are coming regular mail from HK which takes a long time to U.S. That's OK. I have a pair of Brimar 6L6s and the KR 5U4G RK rectifier on the way so I'll have something to mess around with.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thank you Golum & Fabio!

I just bought a matched pair of 1962 Telsa EL51s from eBay and a pair of adapters from Golum's source. Probably be a month or so before I can get them plugged in because the adapters are coming regular mail from HK which takes a long time to U.S. That's OK. I have a pair of Brimar 6L6s and the KR 5U4G RK rectifier on the way so I'll have something to mess around with.

Shoot! I haven't been watching eBay (or set HiFi Shark notifications) for those, as I assumed Lukas was the sole source right now. I'd like to get a second good pair to compare with what I have or for storage. Anyone know who cipsmaj is? I'd been waiting on Lukas to get back from his vacation and cold. In any case, I'm still puzzled why as the volume goes up beyond a modest point with the EL51/596 combo, my set up sounds worse.

P.S. Turned out eBay guy had one more matched pair, these w/o anything rattling around inside. Inflation from June to August, though.

Last edited:

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I got my pair of Brimar 6L6s today. Straight out of the box and paired with the Takatsuki 274b rectifier the sound is so/so, no match for the Tak and the Psvanes (both well burned-in). I know I can't tell much straight out of the box after the tube has been sitting for around for 70 years, but how much burn-in should I allow before evaluating it?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
older tube = 250-300 hours. Alainbow and I had this discussion here just recently. Not sure I agree with him about 50 hrs for newer production, but older definitely needs time to settle in. One trick is to pull the output tubes and leave the dac on when not in use so the rectis can get through it faster. You may hear some crackling along the way. Is normal.

Reactions: Golum and ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
older tube = 250-300 hours. Alainbow and I had this discussion here just recently. Not sure I agree with him about 50 hrs for newer production, but older definitely needs time to settle in. One trick is to pull the output tubes and leave the dac on when not in use so the rectis can get through it faster. You may hear some crackling along the way. Is normal.

Thanks. If I'm breaking in output tubes though why would I pull them from the DAC? Right now I have the Lumin sending music to the Lampi with the amp and preamp off. Geez, 250 is a lot of hours...:(

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I thought you were discussing rectis, not the Brimars, which you didn't seem enthusiastic about. So reverse the process, pull the recti if it's burned in and leave the outputs on if you want. 250 is nothing compared to most components.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Doing this trick don't forget that lifespan of rectifier tubes in general is massively shorter then output tubes as they work at their 100% non stop while output tubes in all Lampi DACs work at fraction of their capabilities so they'll live a very long and prosperous life ;).
And do not EVER pull out output tubes while DAC is ON - ever.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks. If I'm breaking in output tubes though why would I pull them from the DAC? Right now I have the Lumin sending music to the Lampi with the amp and preamp off. Geez, 250 is a lot of hours...:(
Gee you're head and shoulders into tube rolling - need to connect you with Fabio - seems like two of you share the same level of madness :cool::p:D
BTW Brimar is nice to have as a relic from the past but even after those 100+ hours it'll remain so/so compared to other top notch ones you have;)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Doing this trick don't forget that lifespan of rectifier tubes in general is massively shorter then output tubes as they work at their 100% non stop while output tubes in all Lampi DACs work at fraction of their capabilities so they'll live a very long and prosperous life ;).
And do not EVER pull out output tubes while DAC is ON - ever.
Yes, a cheap $10 SS recti is good for burning in new output tubes.

Those output tubes should start showing their colours from 50 hrs already.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I thought you were discussing rectis, not the Brimars, which you didn't seem enthusiastic about. So reverse the process, pull the recti if it's burned in and leave the outputs on if you want. 250 is nothing compared to most components.

Best for burning-in and/or casual listening/background noise, use an SS rectifier (around 20-30 bucks shipped) to save precious recti hours because the recti in Lampi DACs is driven full throttle ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Gee you're head and shoulders into tube rolling - need to connect you with Fabio - seems like two of you share the same level of madness :cool::p:D
BTW Brimar is nice to have as a relic from the past but even after those 100+ hours it'll remain so/so compared to other top notch ones you have;)

Yeah, I'm somewhat new to this forum but have been an obsessive/compulsive audiophile since 1978 when I bought an old pair of Dynaco Mk3's and had them modified by a local tech. All the other kids I went to high school with were rocking on boom boxes and I had an old Conrad Johnson preamp, the Dynacos and a small pair of Magneplanars. My family had very little money growing up so I worked since I was 15 to save up money to buy audio gear. As Paul Simon says, still crazy after all these years.

My KR 5U4G RK will be here today. Wonder how it sounds compared to the Tak.

*** It's here. Beautiful presentation box. At first my wife couldn't believe they do all that for a tube. Then she commented that it must have been an expensive tube. ;) KR all plugged in playing background music now. Will report back. ***

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing