LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

Indeed. But these tele CG3 are Uber duber, hole in the pocket expensive… And you need 4 of them… At this stage, though, I also trust Ian and I am sure they sound stellar. Congrats. Do you have the SRS 551?

Prototype srs511 adaptor. Early days:)

Attachments

• 20230723_005032.jpg
    20230723_005032.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: hifirabbit
Indeed. But these tele CG3 are Uber duber, hole in the pocket expensive… And you need 4 of them… At this stage, though, I also trust Ian and I am sure they sound stellar. Congrats. Do you have the SRS 551?
Use the siemens they good too,they come from the same production;)

Good work Ian. Now people have to find the srs551. I’m betting you have a stash
Not the 551:):) I have posted a link on where to find cheap ones on ebay:) the chelmer ones;);) someone else is getting rich just not me haha

Use the siemens they good too,they come from the same production;)
Not entirely true .Lorenz siemens valvo and telefunken all had different production sites and specs. It is true the siemens c3g and c3gs is the same production line and spec just one rated higher...which is why their tubes says s only on the box not the tube.

For telefunken s is marked onto the tube itself and an old telefunken employee who sold the whole carton box told me ...siemens just tried to copy what the others were doing using normal c3g stock...whereas telefunken truly up not only the spec but the parts/design inside the tube.

That is why....if we know...we dont touch the siemens s tubes...and why some websites report the s as just being an uprated c3g. Siemens had to come up with the same part so as not to lost the German post business but was very very cheeky on how they did it:) inventive almost haha

Truth in there but not all the truth!

Attachments

• 20230721_071312.jpg
    20230721_071312.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230721_071329.jpg
    20230721_071329.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230721_071304.jpg
    20230721_071304.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230721_071352.jpg
    20230721_071352.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 30
Eureka!!!

It works everyone! Now basking in the glow of the srs551s Nd listening to some good tunes

Attachments

• 20230723_133612.jpg
    20230723_133612.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: Sampajanna
Eureka!!!

It works everyone! Now basking in the glow of the srs551s Nd listening to some good tunes
Which ones are you using?

The chelmer ones and they are cheap. Grab them while it's there:)

Found here

First impressions wow this tube is really really good! Synergistic with 2504 and c3gs and 6384 much muchbettwr than p17c

Adaptor ad here:):)

Not entirely true .Lorenz siemens valvo and telefunken all had different production sites and specs. It is true the siemens c3g and c3gs is the same production line and spec just one rated higher...which is why their tubes says s only on the box not the tube.

For telefunken s is marked onto the tube itself and an old telefunken employee who sold the whole carton box told me ...siemens just tried to copy what the others were doing using normal c3g stock...whereas telefunken truly up not only the spec but the parts/design inside the tube.

That is why....if we know...we dont touch the siemens s tubes...and why some websites report the s as just being an uprated c3g. Siemens had to come up with the same part so as not to lost the German post business but was very very cheeky on how they did it:) inventive almost haha

In 1952, Siemens&Halske (Berlin&München) began series production of the first European grid tube, the C3g, which was primarily used in long-distance telephony.
production was outsourced when demand was too high. where Siemens is on it is not always Siemens inside. The same applies to Telefunken. the two companies had a strong working relationship on special tubes.
we don't want to argue, an excellent tube as a driver (triode mode) for 2a3/300b and f2a powertubes.
Highest quality (Gabl code )every tube have seriesnumber and mesurement protocoll.20100618104035.jpg

Reactions: christoph
In 1952, Siemens&Halske (Berlin&München) began series production of the first European grid tube, the C3g, which was primarily used in long-distance telephony.
production was outsourced when demand was too high. where Siemens is on it is not always Siemens inside. The same applies to Telefunken. the two companies had a strong working relationship on special tubes.
we don't want to argue, an excellent tube as a driver (triode mode) for 2a3/300b and f2a powertubes.
Highest quality (Gabl code )every tube have seriesnumber and mesurement protocoll.View attachment 113579
Hi Stephan

The tube was initially designed by Lorenz itt and the other just latched on. Siemens didn't design the first c3g I understand. The different brands agreed are not relabelled but rather each came from its own factory.;)

Ian

Hi Stephan

The tube was initially designed by Lorenz itt and the other just latched on. Siemens didn't design the first c3g I understand. The different brands agreed are not relabelled but rather each came from its own factory.;)

Ian
Hi Ian,,
it may be that ITT Schaub Lorenz (Pforzheim Gemany)developed this tube, but the first tube that rolled off the production line was a Siemens.
if anyone is interested in values, from the Telefunken Bible20230723_090411.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Golum
Working through the optimisations it seems i can get the c3g pcb itself - which means i can adapt it to a much higher spec to make our own adaptors for it. However...here is the catch... i have a moq of 50 pieces in order to get the pcb. Can i get an idea of who is interested ? Otherwise it might not be cost effective my end get 50 just to make a few. it will also get much more expensive for everyone...

WoW $50,000 in tubes
You hit the lottery, but I am happy with what I currently have.

WoW $50,000 in tubes
And that's not an expensive tube. The most expensive I have in stash and have seen is the 300b engraved base. About 10-15k us for a pair now:)

This is probably the wrong way to ask this as it's somewhat off-topic and likely deserves its own thread, but what is it about the best NOS tubes that makes them so much better than the best new production tubes?

Could a new tube match a NOS tubes' performance if they were given a "cost-no-object" effort? Could they achieve it with less than stratospheric pricing?

I know there are some unobtanium new tubes such as EAT's KT88 that *may* approach the best NOS KT88 and equivalent tubes, but I'm genuinely curious what qualities are absent from new production tubes, making them them inferior?

Were the WE 300B reissues as good as the NOS vintage versions?

(Please let me know if I should post this as a separate thread.)

Reactions: Malcng and Famester
WoW $50,000 in tubes
This is a crazy rare tube as well. Worth a cool 4800iusd for 1 tube:)

20k to run a push-pull monoblock pair And we ain't talking other tubes yet too:)not in my collection unfortunately. Fred what we have here doesn't even touch the tip of the esoteric tube world

@msimanyi - you’re right, pre ww2 were made to a standard, using materials which often wouldn’t be allowed nowadays. Understandably ww2 brought unimaginable demands to bear, both in terms of quantity demand and also resource shortages, especially in Europe. Post WW2 saw the emergence of transistors which made cost cutting / miniaturisation / operational efficiency the key drivers in valve production.

There is however no reason why current production couldn’t be made to a competitive standard and at a not-unreasonable price. Since you mentioned the WE300b reissues, the quad I had almost 20 years ago were comfortably outperformed by some Sophia costing @1/3 of the price.

My experience is that there are often some truly outstanding, game changing, tubes from smaller European producers which needn’t cost as much as the more widely known (and hyped) brands.

Last edited:
Got my sheath and 2504 tube.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    809.4 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Famester and Blake

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu