LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
A couple of years ago, I decided to invest in the Amplitrex AT1000 tube tester. This is not cheap, but it’s a great way to test tubes in your home to a high degree of precision (parameter test, curves, gas discharge, noise etc.). I hooked it up to a PC and can print out each tube’s spec. Best of all, it’s infinitely expandable. If I come across a tube not in its database, I email the designer Chris. Within a day or two, he emails me a new test setting for the tube. If you use a lot of tubes and buy from places like eBay or Audiomart, this is a lifesaver.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
You raise a key point which is the distinction between a seller of NOS tubes and a reliable seller of NOS tubes. Many of us rely on Brent Jesse, who is excellent and reputable.

I have found Brent and the website to be informative and trustworthy

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
If memory serves me right, it cost me 3 grand, including 9.5% CA tax. Worth every cent. Here are some pics. The first shows a detailed analysis on my PC of a NOS Western Electric 421a dual power triode from a SET I just got — one power tube for both channels! Second shows its online display. Third shows the unit.

39D99A75-1AFD-4E09-9BCC-AEFF0F354B69.jpeg A040E050-3B5B-4BBD-AD19-1CB173CABEA7.jpeg 8FB058EA-03F4-42F6-98D5-658EF529D291.jpeg

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I should add that this tester is a custom made to order unit. You email Chris asking to buy one and then wait till it’s ready — it takes a few weeks! He’s very responsive to emails as I can attest since I’ve badgered him no end on various issues.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Guys do you like cheap tubes performing well/exceptionally well? If so, get yourself a quad of Shuguang 6V6GT and don't ask me too much.
Plug&play version - no adapter needed....if you decide to try pls comment ;)

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Guys do you like cheap tubes performing well/exceptionally well? If so, get yourself a quad of Shuguang 6V6GT and don't ask me too much.
Plug&play version - no adapter needed....if you decide to try pls comment ;)
Just plugged in Psvane CV181 as you recommend in an earlier post. Good-bye blue tennis balls. May try the Shuguang 6V6GT too. Keep those recommendations coming.

Stbo

Mar 18, 2020
Sweden
- Recti : Western Electric 422A ( tried KR 5U4G RK, Takatsuki 274B, Brimar 5U4G,Marconi, GEC U52)
- Output : Mullard EL34 xf2, (tried TS KT170, Mullard EL34 xf3, KR KT88, Gold Lion KT77( stock), Bendix 6384)
- Dual triodes : Mullard ECC32 or Visseaux ecc31 both are exceptional tubes (tried psvane, linlai 6SN7, Thompson 5687WA, Meltz, 6H8C)
With the Visseaux ECC31, is it necessary to run single end? Double triode?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: Stbo and ctydwn

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I got a pair of the famous TS 6SN7. They sound great, but so far I like the metal base Sylvania better—tighter bass. The TS are more wooly, However, they do need to warm up and break in, of course….

Reactions: marty

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them” - Mullard ecc32 ;) :D

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Double - run regular

Although ecc31 / 6n7 is a dual triode, it uses a single shared cathode and will only pass through a single (-ended) signal. Therefore rca operation only, no differential / xlr output.

I actually have the Visseaux 6n7 in my Baltic and some comments in thread below (post 679) but feel that the loss of micro detail from the adapter puts it behind the Melz 1578. NB @takacs75 has a slightly earlier globe tubed version of the Visseaux and the regular melz 6h8c, hence slightly different from my comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stbo

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I almost choked on my breakfast cereal reading this. It is you that brings all of the fun to the table to help guys like me learn about tube rolling. I think you should write a book about your tube rolling escapades as it would be an essential read here . Ive been done for almost a year and am debating selling off a treasure trove of some amazing tubes I used along the way
Steve You've been way too nice. There are many guys here with massively bigger knowledge about tubes. I'm just willing to experiment a bit more then usual I would say so and to share the findings...thanks again for kind words!

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Steve You've been way too nice. There are many guys here with massively bigger knowledge about tubes. I'm just willing to experiment a bit more than olumusual I would say so and to share the findings...thanks again for kind words!

Golum,

Some of us don‘t have a collection of rare tubes to select from. When you have the opportunity, what have been your favorite combination of tubes in the Horizon that are readily available?

And what is your absolute favorite of all time right now, rare or not?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Golum,

Some of us don‘t have a collection of rare tubes to select from. When you have the opportunity, what have been your favorite combination of tubes in the Horizon that are readily available?

I am not Golum but have listened to a lot of different tubes in the Horizon and have concluded that it doesn’t take $500+ rare tubes to make it sing.

For example, this pair of 6SN7s would be great in the Horizon.

Many $250 rectifiers have sounded great as well.

Tung Sol KT170s are readily available any they sound great.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Golum,

I think when it comes to tubes it’s not just about favorites but rather one’s own ears as well as that persons system.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I think when it comes to tubes it’s not just about favorites but rather one’s own ears as well as that persons system.

I still have your list as well Steve. If I obtain a Horizon, I desire to come up with 3-4 combos of tubes that sound excellent.

Steve Williams

I am not Golum but have listened to a lot of different tubes in the Horizon and have concluded that it doesn’t take $500+ rare tubes to make it sing.

For example, this pair of 6SN7s would be great in the Horizon.

Many $250 rectifiers have sounded great as well.

Tung Sol KT170s are readily available any they sound great.
David

it was you and Golum who lead me down the dark path of tube rolling. I will always be indebted to you for convincing me to go from the Thomson 5687 WA to the TS 6SN7 GT VT231 round plate. That was a system changer for me that I have found 4 NOS sets to sail of into the Horizon

Steve Williams

The only other secret I have learned from this thread is that if you have found that one tube that is a system changer and you either have a source or you want backups it is truly best not to make your proclamation until you have bought all that you need. It’s comforting that there are producers of new tubes but it’s those old ones that bring a lot of beautiful sound to the table. When dminches convinced me about the 6SN7 mentioned above I did a due diligence and found a USA tube dealer that had a total of 14 matched pairs NIB , never used and measured great. I bought 3 sets and posted my thoughts. I went back 3 hours later to the seller who I bought 3 sets from. They were all gone. So when it comes to rare tubes or ones to lust after , “ caveat emptor”

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Golum,

Hi;

Zero headache new production cheap option to keep the overall cost low and deliver in spades: Shugaung/Psvane Black Treasure CV181 double triodes (145USD), Shuguang 6V6GT pentodes (Quad 80USD), PSvane Acme 274b 320USD. Now this recti is killing me with the price as NOS RCA 5u4g top getter can be found for like 70/80 USD and the total price for all tubes is kept at the level of 300$.

Now rare ones is different ball game specifically cost wise:
WE274b engraved base >1k if you manage to find them, Telefunken el156 quad app 1.5k or Bendix/TS/Cetron 6384, or EL34 Mullard xf2 and Mullard ecc32.
But my personal favorite cost no object is ecc32, El156 and WE274b. Do I use them day in day out? Nope except ecc32 as i have only one WE and a quad of Telefunken.
But as many times said all depending on the system/ears/gear/ etc., etc., which makes all this super fun.

Cheers;
G

But either way H will deliver its mojo NOS/new tubes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing