Legendary Supex 900 Super: Koetsu before Koetsu

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
In case anyone wants to try a Supex, mine is listed on Canuck Audio. Note that the listed price is $400 Canadian, i.e. $300 US.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
+ 1.
the new cartridges are just overpriced. They didn't reinvent the wheel.
i like to listen to my lyra clavis d.c, ortofon vero/vienna, linn karma(supex)kiseki blue(old version),audio technica art 1 and fr1 mk3f. listening to music is a lot of fun with every cartridge.all with good step up transformer
I just recent got hold of an original Kiseki Blue longbody that I had retipped with Namiki microridge and a boron cantilever at Aidas in Lithuania
the suspension and magnet assy is original
it´s a gem and the sweetest thing on classical, but not shelved like a Koetsu....Aidas did a fantastic job.....sounds like a refined DaVa Reference.....really curious about the new DaVa Soul
highly recommended

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I just recent got hold of an original Kiseki Blue longbody that I had retipped with Namiki microridge and a boron cantilever at Aidas in Lithuania
the suspension and magnet assy is original
it´s a gem and the sweetest thing on classical, but not shelved like a Koetsu....Aidas did a fantastic job.....sounds like a refined DaVa Reference.....really curious about the new DaVa Soul
highly recommended
You must hear the Agaat from Kiseki,after that you don't waste more thoughts koetsu.
Sold pity a bargain

Last edited:

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
so I´ll swap Kiseki, Supex and Rowland in Ikeda....they all are a good match, and the VTA is done in a sec with the FR B-60 VTA base
The trouble with swapping the Supex in and out is that the pins are smaller diameter than any other body I've used. Squeezing the clips on an arm with integral headshell is no big deal but expanding them again is scary.
that Supex is on it´s way to Norway...... :oops:
I am emotionally attached to that cartridge Leif. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
You must hear the Agaat from Kiseki,after that you don't waste more thoughts koetsu.
Sold pity a bargain
yes I know, but they´re priced out of the sky now......they also had the Lapis Lazulu
were quite a few here in Norway

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
yes I know, but they´re priced out of the sky now......they also had the Lapis Lazulu
were quite a few here in Norway
The old kiseki from the 80s are rare and really expensive. Van den Dungen was Koetsu importer in Europe. He founded Kiseki only because Koetsu had quality problems at the time. To this day no one knows who made kisekis. some say kondo san built them because he also built kiseki suts. a secret to this day.
P.S the new have not the charme of old ones

Reactions: RickS and mtemur

Lynnot

Dec 30, 2022
Tremonia
This is the identical one I used to have long ago. To be precise, as shown on this spec sheet, it was a SD 900/E+ Super. After this cart I had another Supex - the SDX 1000. Not sure if it was also a Sugano design. It had a boron cantilever. The body was rounder and more petite. Anyone remember it?
Yes, I remember it very well. Here in Europe we knew it under a different name: Linn Asak.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
@audiobomber got it today and installed already in IKEDA IT407 silver in IKEDA headshell
sounds slightly mellower than Aidas retipped Kiseki, but need some more VTA tweaking
very nice tone and good dynamics into Parmeko 6000/31 1:40 vintage SUT, same as I prefer for Rowland Complement and Kiseki
cannot detect any symptoms of ruined/hardened suspension @VTF 2g

1710943459627.png

Last edited:
Reactions: foxtan and Lynnot

foxtan

Mar 29, 2024
Hong Kong
Supex 900 Super was my first MC cartridge in 80''s, After all these years, I still have SD-900Super, SD-909, SD-900E(Wood body), SDX-1100R, SD-700Type IIE, owned and sold are SD-909Mk2, SDX-1000, SDX-3000, SD-801, SD-301, SD-700A.........

The SD-909 is mounted on SAEC WE-506/30 most of the time for pop music, I will swap the SAEC to Ikeda IT-407 this weekend, and switch my Van Den Hul Black Beauty to Crimson XGW Master Signature on the Audiocraft AC-4400, because the VDH BB haev been used for a decade, although it still playing music well, it is the time to have it retip and check up before it broken down suddenly.......

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Sweet. Nice to pick up a hardly used Supex.

Can you please explain how you can hook up 8 cartridges?
There are only 5 inputs.
Keep in mind you can connect both balanced and single ended on each input and switch between them on the Makua preamp. It’s a matrix structure. Any input can be made into phono, except I think input 6 that is dedicated to Roon.

Reactions: XV-1

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
Supex 900 Super was my first MC cartridge in 80''s, After all these years, I still have SD-900Super, SD-909, SD-900E(Wood body), SDX-1100R, SD-700Type IIE, owned and sold are SD-909Mk2, SDX-1000, SDX-3000, SD-801, SD-301, SD-700A.........

The SD-909 is mounted on SAEC WE-506/30 most of the time for pop music, I will swap the SAEC to Ikeda IT-407 this weekend, and switch my Van Den Hul Black Beauty to Crimson XGW Master Signature on the Audiocraft AC-4400, because the VDH BB haev been used for a decade, although it still playing music well, it is the time to have it retip and check up before it broken down suddenly.......
Mine too!

Reactions: foxtan

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Listening to the Supex mounted on a Technics EPA-100 tonearm with ruby bearings with a Technics SP-10 Mk2 table. I’m blown away by good the Supex 900 is. It’s as good as my 10x as expensive Onyx Platinum. Sad it’s not available except by luck. This is the record I’m listening to now.

image.jpg

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Listening to the Supex mounted on a Technics EPA-100 tonearm with ruby bearings with a Technics SP-10 Mk2 table. I’m blown away by good the Supex 900 is. It’s as good as my 10x as expensive Onyx Platinum. Sad it’s not available except by luck. This is the record I’m listening to now.

View attachment 128447
I’m glad you’re enjoying your setup. I would like to remind you that the record you shared is cut from Cd just like most waxtime reissues. I recommend all analog craft reissue of this record.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing