Magico A5s arrive at Rhapsody....color me confused;)

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
It will definitely be interesting to see the what comes in the future from Alon/Magico. I think somehow more interesting at this point vs. in the past.

I fully expect to see speaker cone updates on the M2, M3 and M6 in the not too distant future. The new cone technology is too good to hold back on these models.

Ken

Reactions: KLH007 and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Very eager to see a M3 Mk2 or new M Series model of such size but employing the new technologies developed for M9/A5.
:D

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Very eager to see a M3 Mk2 or new M Series model of such size but employing the new technologies developed for M9/A5.
:D

Yes, the M3 should be first in line for the update. New drivers and monocoque cabinet using the latest carbon/graphene aluminum honeycomb sandwich technology.

Ken

Reactions: KLH007 and CKKeung

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, the M3 should be first in line for the update. New drivers and monocoque cabinet using the latest carbon/graphene aluminum honeycomb sandwich technology.

Ken

I'd like to see an M5, larger woofers than the M3, say 3 X 8" or 9" but a cabinet not as large as the M6, with the new cabinet and driver technology. $100K.

EDIT: Similar to the Q5 and Q3

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I fully expect to see speaker cone updates on the M2, M3 and M6 in the not too distant future. The new cone technology is too good to hold back on these models.

Ken

Hey Ken, have you heard the new speaker cones (i.e. the A5)?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Might see the new speaker technology in an S model follow-on before another M after the M9?

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
I look forward to demoing A5s shortly at my dealer’s shop along with Rockport Atria ii’s which he reps as well.

In re A5s - and perhaps Magico in general if the question is not too broad - I’m interested to know what direction folks have taken with electronics?

Currently running Focal Kanta 3s with D’Agostino Progression integrated on order to replace my hybrid BHK 300s and pre. Chord DAVE DAC and Roon Nucleus Plus.

Apologies if this is not the thread/forum for my question.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I look forward to demoing A5s shortly at my dealer’s shop along with Rockport Atria ii’s which he reps as well.

In re A5s - and perhaps Magico in general if the question is not too broad - I’m interested to know what direction folks have taken with electronics?

Currently running Focal Kanta 3s with D’Agostino Progression integrated on order to replace my hybrid BHK 300s and pre. Chord DAVE DAC and Roon Nucleus Plus.

Apologies if this is not the thread/forum for my question.

Hi, Welcome to WBF!

I have used a Jadis 90 Watt I-88 integrated, Devialet Expert pro 440 and 1000, Constellation, Soulution, a Diesis hybrid integrated and a Pilium Leonidas integrated. All sounded good on the A5s, no incompatibilities. Comes down to personal preference and the rest of the system, ie sources, vibration control etc.

I have found the A5's easy to drive in a 700 sq.ft space with any of the above mentioned electronics.

Bretson

Jun 28, 2020
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Hi Guys,

Thought i should touch 'bass' again. Well after an entire summer of listening to music, movies, tv the a5's have really opened up. So much so that it was like having an entirely new system. It just happened today, a day where i speant getting my car serviced in an out of town city so i had a chance to visit all of the high end shops and test everything out. Most was quite good. Audio Research Reference Level with Focal, Full Macintosh Setup with Maarten's, A Plinius Setup with Auris Speakers (actually the best of the day) and a Mark Levinson suite with Aurum Cantus.

Came home with a new luxman preamp i had been after but was wondering if the Magico's would be keepers. I sit here tapping my toes and bobbing my head to everything coming out of them. They have simply clicked today and best everything i heard out in the wild. Very open and detailed with bone crushing bass. The real benefit to the sealed cabinet bass is that it doesn't seem to bother those around the rest of my house compared to my TAD's, or other ported speakers ive owned.

If you're interested in Magico's do your best to hear them at a dealer where they've been broken in (something i didn't do) If you buy them cold, you will need several hundred, perhaps up to a thousand hours to break in. You may even tire of them before they sound as they should and make a terrible mistake of selling them before they open the kemono. I have had a ton of equipment and nothing has taken this long to bed in. Once they do, you'll be loving life.

Happily, they will be staying!

Reactions: KLH007 and Dimfer

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Interesting observation, I thought they sounded good right out of the box, and in 2-3 days were pretty much IT. I guess I have something to look forward to :)

Reactions: KLH007 and Rhapsody

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I’m sure the A5 is a nice speaker, but I seriously doubt it takes anywhere near 1000 hours to break in.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I’m sure the A5 is a nice speaker, but I seriously doubt it takes anywhere near 1000 hours to break in.
The break-in is more than likely happening in the cross-over. Those Mundorf components take an absolute age and IME the ‘revelation’ literally does happen overnight. One day you play the first track and it just sounds ‘golden’. You’ll know when it happens because you’ll have this big stupid grin on your face :D

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
After 50 hours our A5's sounded incredible to me. Sure they got better with more hours, but they were "strutting their stuff" pretty much from the get-go. Especially regarding the transparency and clarity, but with naturalness and the appropriate warmth in the midrange and mid-bass. Of course, as we see in these posts YMMV.

Reactions: KLH007 and ALF

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
After 50 hours our A5's sounded incredible to me. Sure they got better with more hours, but they were "strutting their stuff" pretty much from the get-go. Especially regarding the transparency and clarity, but with naturalness and the appropriate warmth in the midrange and mid-bass. Of course, as we see in these posts YMMV.
Way cool Bob!

vbw,
a

Reactions: Rhapsody

Bretson

Jun 28, 2020
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I have a theory on why mine may have taken longer to break in. I suspect that my speakers do not get played as loudly (less subsequent cone movement, less current, less heat, etc.) as those at Rhapsody as:

1. I am not demoing them for others
2. Mine are played in a smaller space and require less juice
3. I have young kids at home so i am very conscious not to play too loudly.

The real revealing act that they performed as they opened up was that I am able to retrieve full spectrum bass detail at low volume levels whereas before it was almost completely absent.

It may seem like a long time, but i shit you not. It took the full summer played with my Burmester front end to come on song.

These are very good speakers and if you are in the market for anything even close to this price range, you should strongly consider them as front runners.

Reactions: KLH007

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have a theory on why mine may have taken longer to break in. I suspect that my speakers do not get played as loudly (less subsequent cone movement, less current, less heat, etc.) as those at Rhapsody as:

1. I am not demoing them for others
2. Mine are played in a smaller space and require less juice
3. I have young kids at home so i am very conscious not to play too loudly.

The real revealing act that they performed as they opened up was that I am able to retrieve full spectrum bass detail at low volume levels whereas before it was almost completely absent.

It may seem like a long time, but i shit you not. It took the full summer played with my Burmester front end to come on song.

These are very good speakers and if you are in the market for anything even close to this price range, you should strongly consider them as front runners.

Every environment (speakers, electronics, cables, loudness etc) is different and I'm sure you have experienced what you say. It's great that it has all opened up for you now! Enjoy!!!

Reactions: KLH007

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Interesting feedback on the A5. Anyone hear if the the A3 will get the same driver technology as the A5?

A second question, a few posts mentioned the seal bass cabinet. What are the pros and cons of such as design? Does it make placement easier?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Interesting feedback on the A5. Anyone hear if the the A3 will get the same driver technology as the A5?

A second question, a few posts mentioned the seal bass cabinet. What are the pros and cons of such as design? Does it make placement easier?

I doubt its there will be an A3 II. The A3 is a great speaker at it's price point.

Sealed cabinets literally can be placed against a rear wall and do not suffer from bass anomalies. Of course that depends on the room and electronics as well.

Normally sealed box designs have tighter more controlled bass but can sometimes sound lean vs a ported speaker which usually will have a more full bodied bass.

The A5 specifically is very full bodied sounding as well as delivering tight, controlled bass.

These are general statement and imho, every system/room/set-up is different.

Reactions: yyzSB

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I find it amusing that all the new technology in the A5 makes the S and M series almost obsolete with the need for a new series upgrade.

Really?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I find it amusing that all the new technology in the A5 makes the S and M series almost obsolete with the need for a new series upgrade.

Really?

Well Magico is selling M2/M3/M6 at record levels at the moment. Not sure about the S series in comparison to the latest tech, but the new technologies have not hurt the sales even a little bit for Magico.

It's amusing to you of course as a Wilson owner, but to M and S series Magico owners they are enjoying music on their speakers and don't feel they are obsolete. I surely don't.

Many things are on the horizon at Magico.....stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing