Magico M9 >>>>Fulfillment

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thx, OF COURSE all being driven with the EXTREME!!!

Happy new year Bob. Congratulations on the new location and for the ability To demonstrate this speaker system.

Your recent comments and videos seem to all demonstrate digital playback. Are you listening much to the VYGER and TechDAS turntables?

I know Alon Wolf enjoys listening to vinyl. Do you know if these M9 speakers were developed by listening to digital?

Reactions: ALF

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Happy new year Bob. Congratulations on the new location and for the ability To demonstrate this speaker system.

Your recent comments and videos seem to all demonstrate digital playback. Are you listening much to the VYGER and TechDAS turntables?
Hi Peter,

95% of my demos are streaming with the Extreme. With demos for small or large systems that I encounter people are into streaming, more and more.

I do listen to vinyl occasionally and R2R as well, but even if someone comes in and says "can I hear some vinyl", we listen to a few songs, then I hand them the iPad and that's the end of the vinyl or R2R. They get lost in listening to 20 tracks at their fingertips.

My experience is that vinyl is still thriving, more than R2R imho, but anyone that's into vinyl already has great vinyl. My shop is also not known for vinyl vs. some of the vinyl specialty shops. I sell more speakers (sold TWO pair of Alsyvox Botticellis in the last week) and systems and they seem to be with digital. Another dealer may have the exact opposite experience.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I can't see someone choosing WAMM over this given they are in the same ballpark price. Maybe La Assoluta since its $250k less or maybe if wilson dealer gives a great price on the WAMM.

Do you have any pics of it setup in your room?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I can't see someone choosing WAMM over this given they are in the same ballpark price. Maybe La Assoluta since its $250k less or maybe if wilson dealer gives a great price on the WAMM.

Do you have any pics of it setup in your room?

Rhapsody's pair of M9s, although already paid for in full, will not be delivered until probably August '21 as we are moving into a new space in Brooklyn specifically to have an appropriate dedicated room for the M9/Pilium/Tellurium system.

Our new space will have four listening rooms. We may also keep our existing Manhattan location for Manhattan customers ie, A1, A3, A5, M2 and small Diesis Audio speakers.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Hello Bob,

Congratulations with your upcoming move to Brooklyn! Nice to hear that you be able to have a whole floor to have various listening environments, really sweet!

My other brother Larry said to tell you and Alon, “Way Cool,” about the new Magico M9 speakers!

vbw,
a

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Will have two floors. Two listening rooms on each floor;)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I posted the mono/stereo link, but I had three people say I should post the full description that is now available regarding the M9s.

MAGICO M9 FULL PRODUCT INFO

1610584846649.png

A summation of our no-holds-barred assault on the limits of dynamic loudspeaker design, the new Magico M9 establishes new benchmarks in musicality, transparency, and fidelity. This four-way, six-driver floor standing system features the world’s first loudspeaker enclosure to combine inner and outer skins of carbon fiber with a revolutionary aluminum honeycomb core. Included with the M9 is a state-of-the-art analog outboard active crossover, the MXO. Designed in-house, this carefully crafted unit handles bass/midbass frequency separation. In addition, the M9 benefits from our latest generation of Nano-Tec speaker cones, featuring Aluminum honeycomb cores. The result is a revelation, a loudspeaker that can present intense crescendos with unconstrained power yet reproduce the most delicate musical passages with transparency and stunning micro dynamic detail.

Controlling cabinet vibration without storing energy remains one of the greatest challenges in loudspeaker design. Our quest for the ultimate in enclosures has driven us to pursue the latest in materials science, computerized modeling and meticulous assembly. The M9 represents a new milestone in that journey: the world’s first loudspeaker enclosure with carbon fiber inner and outer skins over an aluminum honeycomb core. This technology reduces overall weight yet doubles the structural stiffness.

The enclosure also incorporates our latest application of constrained layer damping using aerospace composites, plus familiar features of Magico construction including a baffle board of 6061 T6 aircraft aluminum and front-to-back tensioning rods.
Using Finite Element Analysis modeling, we calibrated the organic shaped enclosure to suppress unwanted resonances and reduce diffraction effects to near zero with a carefully machined aluminum front baffle. Sound waves from the drivers propagate without obstruction resulting in a sound field that replicates the recording space. The M9 has a commanding physical presence however sonically, it completely vanishes.

Magico has long recognized that the bending and flexing of non-pistonic motion in a soft dome tweeter leads to large-scale distortion. The new tweeter in the M9 features an even more refined 28 mm Beryllium-diamond dome tweeter. The incredibly stiff and light weight Beryllium dome is enhanced with diamond which is carefully applied by chemical vapor deposition. This enabled us to develop the world’s first 28 mm Beryllium dome with improved performance without the weight penalty that diamond normally incurs. The new drive unit delivers high-frequency reproduction of extraordinary accuracy with micro dynamics of even greater subtlety, revealing musical detail with even greater clarity. Every cone in the M9 incorporates our eighth generation Nano-Tec design which introduces the world’s first Aluminum honeycomb core sandwiched between Graphene/carbon fiber skins. The Aluminum honeycomb supersedes previous designs and provides a core material so stiff that 26,500 pounds (12,000 kg) of pressure is required to shape the 15-inch cones. This added stiffness pushes resonant frequencies far beyond audibility, requiring hardly any damping at all. Graphene, the hallmark of the Nano-Tec cones, is a hexagonal lattice of carbon just one atom thick. Graphene combines incredible stiffness with the highest tensile strength of any material known to science – some 40 times that of carbon steel. The eighth-generation refinements provide unprecedented strength results in the closest ever approach to pure pistonic motion. As a cone driver plays intense musical peaks, voice coil temperatures can climb over 100° F (40° C) in a single second. Heat can double the voice coil’s DC resistance, alter the frequency response curve, and compress the music as much as 3 dB – a substantial nonlinearity. The M9 drivers overcome these distortions with oversized vented voice coils (3,4 and 5 inches in diameter) that are formed of pure Titanium for increased stiffness, resistance to eddy currents, greater cone control and faster heat dissipation.

Magico Nano-Tec drivers exercise absolute control over voice coil movement by providing underhung voice coils in a magnetic circuit of tremendous power. Uncommonly large Neodymium ring magnets with 16 times the magnetic energy per unit volume of Ferrite form the motor system. An extra measure against asymmetry, the drivers deploy a matching magnet on top which enables distortion-free output up to 120 dB SPL at 1 meter.

The new 6-inch midrange (x1) features a 3-inch voice coil to help maintain linear output all the way to 120 dB SPL at 1 meter. This results in unmeasurably low distortion throughout the driver’s operating range.

The new 11-inch mid bass driver (x2) features a 4-inch voice coil with a N48H grade Neodymium ring magnet of unusual size: 120 mm diameter x 8 mm height, plus a second matching magnet on top for complete control of voice coil movement.
The new 15-inch bass driver (x2) features a 5-inch voice coil with an uncommonly long 36 mm air gap that facilitates tremendous linear excursion, ±15 mm, at high sensitivity.

The M9 drivers represent true state of the art and are the most advanced dynamic driver designs ever offered by Magico.
The new Magico Analog Crossover (MXO) was designed in-house from our own platform to manage the crossover frequency between the 15-inch bass and 11-inch mid-bass drivers.

At such a low frequency, a passive crossover would require huge inductors and capacitors which would incur substantial losses. The meticulous design of the MXO has fully balanced and discrete circuit topology with Linkwitz-Riley filters to deliver steep 24 dB per octave slopes at the crossover frequency of 120 Hz. Precision step attenuators provide 0.5 dB/step control of each output, using a proprietary technique to ensure purity in the signal path. Open architecture accommodates additional filter topologies. The external power supply chassis regenerates AC and applies active regulation to every part of the circuitry.
A pair of M9 loudspeakers requires two stereo or four monaural amplifiers. The M9 tweeter, midrange and mid-bass drivers are controlled by a three-way passive crossover with acoustical target 24 dB-per-octave Linkwitz-Riley filters. Magico’s elliptical symmetry crossover design preserves maximum frequency bandwidth with minimal IM distortion.

Driver Complement:

• 1.1” (2.8cm) Diamond Coated Beryllium Dome Tweeter (x1)
  • 6-inch Gen 8 Magico Nano-Tec cone with Aluminum honeycomb core (x1)
  • 11-inch Gen 8 Magico Nano-Tec cones with Aluminum honeycomb core (x2)
  • 15-inch Gen 8 Magico Nano-Tec cones with Aluminum honeycomb core (x2)

Sensitivity: 94 dB

• Impedance: 4 ohms Frequency response: 18 Hz – 50 kHz

Power handling: 20 W (min) to 2000 W (max)
Dimensions:

• Loudspeaker: 80” H x 40” D x 20” W (203 x 102 x 51 cm)
  • MXO Crossover: 8” H x 18” D x 20” W (20 x 46 x 51 cm)
  • MXO Crossover power supply: 8” H x 18” D x 20” W (20 x 46 x 51 cm)

Weight:

• Loudspeaker: 1000 pounds (454 kg) each
  • MXO Crossover: 40 lbs. (18 kg)
  • MXO Crossover power supply: 60 lbs. (27 kg)1000 pounds (454 kg) each

Mar 31, 2021
Long time lurking, first time posting.

I heard the Magico M9’s for the first time yesterday.

Although I expected the M9 to be an exceptional speaker, I was not prepared for the actual experience I had. Sometimes you just can’t quite imagine what “better” will sound like; after all, you have not heard it yet.

I have been a serious audiophile for about 4 decades. I currently have a pair of Magico Q7 MK II’s and two Magico Q Sub Subwoofers in my listening room.

Please allow me to put aside price and practical considerations and address only what I heard.

While the M9’s are monumental in size and physical presence, the curved lines help make them look and feel a bit less massive than they really are.

On the other hand, by the time one hears the first few notes, these speakers completely disappear. They no longer exist in the room. They completely disappeared from my eyes and my brain within seconds of the music starting. I have never experienced a disappearing act so complete and so remarkable from any set of speakers. I was fully immersed in the music and nothing else seemed to matter.

It is important to note that in spite of their size and complexity, the M9’s integrate their drivers as perfectly as I have ever heard. One does not hear a structure with several drivers. One hears a single perfectly integrated unit that delivers a frequency response with full texture and detail that appears to be beyond the human hearing range from the lowest bass to the highest frequencies.

The bass is so deep, so powerful, so tuneful and natural sounding and so full of texture, articulation and detail that any kind of subwoofer would probably be detrimental to the system and is obviously not needed.

The power and the presence of the soundstage that the M9’s throw is absolutely stunning. The dynamic range can only be described as “crushing”. The differences between the most subtle low level sounds and the loud peaks are rendered in a way that is utterly life-like. I cannot recall hearing this kind dynamic range in any audio system before.

The most impressive part of the listening experience for me was an uncanny smoothness and delicacy to the sound, coupled with a level of resolution that feels like at least an order of magnitude higher than anything I have ever heard before. Part of this resolution might be because the speaker drivers are lightning fast and the speakers and cabinet are dead quiet during the silences between the notes. The fact that these speakers have essentially no diffraction might be another contributing factor to this general impression.

After listening to the M9’s, other speakers (including my Q7 MKII’s) now sound to me as if they are smearing the sound because they do not have the same speed or the total silence between the notes. This is clearly audible, and I have been told that this is also measurable.

Over the years I have heard the words “Reference” and “Statement Product” used all too often and in a loose way that has made those words almost devoid of their true meaning.

To me, a Statement Product in high end audio is a product that advances the state of the art in terms of technology and sound quality to an extent significant enough that it basically changes the ballgame for the whole high end audio industry.

I believe the Magico M9 is such a product. I would call it THE new Reference.

I decided to post this because I thought my listening experience would be of interest to the people on this thread.

Cheers.

Mark

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Outstanding commentary. I look forward to an occasion to hear them. Can you describe the electronics that served up the signal?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, It's-all-about-the-music, for this wonderful report!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you for your kind words. The electronics driving the speakers were Pillium monoblock amps, and an MSB select DAC.
Thank you for taking the time to discuss this magnificent effort...that being, said your own system is pretty awesome! Do you mind sharing a bit more about your QSubs...and how they change the quality of sound of your Q7MkIIs? I am contemplating the QSub and also looking at Funk Audio 18.2s which are also dual 18s in an opposing configuration.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Mar 31, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to discuss this magnificent effort...that being, said your own system is pretty awesome! Do you mind sharing a bit more about your QSubs...and how they change the quality of sound of your Q7MkIIs? I am contemplating the QSub and also looking at Funk Audio 18.2s which are also dual 18s in an opposing configuration.
I decided to get the Q Subs because they are the perfect match for the Q7 MK II's. The speakers sound more relaxed, the bass goes deeper and sounds more powerful and the imaging and resolution also improve. I am very happy with the addition of the Q-subs. As good as the Q7 MK II's are, the subs make a pretty noticeable improvement.

Reactions: LenWhite

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017
Long time lurking, first time posting.

I heard the Magico M9’s for the first time yesterday.

Although I expected the M9 to be an exceptional speaker, I was not prepared for the actual experience I had. Sometimes you just can’t quite imagine what “better” will sound like; after all, you have not heard it yet.

I have been a serious audiophile for about 4 decades. I currently have a pair of Magico Q7 MK II’s and two Magico Q Sub Subwoofers in my listening room.

Please allow me to put aside price and practical considerations and address only what I heard.

While the M9’s are monumental in size and physical presence, the curved lines help make them look and feel a bit less massive than they really are.

On the other hand, by the time one hears the first few notes, these speakers completely disappear. They no longer exist in the room. They completely disappeared from my eyes and my brain within seconds of the music starting. I have never experienced a disappearing act so complete and so remarkable from any set of speakers. I was fully immersed in the music and nothing else seemed to matter.

It is important to note that in spite of their size and complexity, the M9’s integrate their drivers as perfectly as I have ever heard. One does not hear a structure with several drivers. One hears a single perfectly integrated unit that delivers a frequency response with full texture and detail that appears to be beyond the human hearing range from the lowest bass to the highest frequencies.

The bass is so deep, so powerful, so tuneful and natural sounding and so full of texture, articulation and detail that any kind of subwoofer would probably be detrimental to the system and is obviously not needed.

The power and the presence of the soundstage that the M9’s throw is absolutely stunning. The dynamic range can only be described as “crushing”. The differences between the most subtle low level sounds and the loud peaks are rendered in a way that is utterly life-like. I cannot recall hearing this kind dynamic range in any audio system before.

The most impressive part of the listening experience for me was an uncanny smoothness and delicacy to the sound, coupled with a level of resolution that feels like at least an order of magnitude higher than anything I have ever heard before. Part of this resolution might be because the speaker drivers are lightning fast and the speakers and cabinet are dead quiet during the silences between the notes. The fact that these speakers have essentially no diffraction might be another contributing factor to this general impression.

After listening to the M9’s, other speakers (including my Q7 MKII’s) now sound to me as if they are smearing the sound because they do not have the same speed or the total silence between the notes. This is clearly audible, and I have been told that this is also measurable.

Over the years I have heard the words “Reference” and “Statement Product” used all too often and in a loose way that has made those words almost devoid of their true meaning.

To me, a Statement Product in high end audio is a product that advances the state of the art in terms of technology and sound quality to an extent significant enough that it basically changes the ballgame for the whole high end audio industry.

I believe the Magico M9 is such a product. I would call it THE new Reference.

I decided to post this because I thought my listening experience would be of interest to the people on this thread.

Cheers.

Mark
I share your commentary - simply absolutely stunning and exhilarating. An incredible feat of engineering. As you said, they disappear like nothing I have ever heard - ever.

They are as close to real life as one could imagine with unbelievable dynamics and simply amazing sound staging and air about the instruments and vocals. And I agree - the addition of a sub would not even be a consideration, particularly for fear of smearing the perfect tonal balance they present. The bass is so very deep, tight and responsive - amazing.

You always hear folks describing how they hear things they hadn't heard before - and I've said the same, but until you hear the M9's, those words were meaningless... these things extract so much nuance and detail.

I agree, these are clearly "the" new reference. Period. The MSB Select DAC and Taiko Audio SGM Extreme are a perfect match for this caliber of equipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing