Magico M9

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
No that was/ is the design goal/ slogan of magico since it stepped into the loudspeaker market .
What was it 2004 ? or something like that

True. But, with the new Aluminum Honeycomb drivers (A5 - Midrange ) and M9 (All drivers)

The ads in Stereophile as example, promote this driver as the closet to pistonic.

So, were the drivers before them and on current model magico sans the A5 and M9 non-pistonic?

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
True. But, with the new Aluminum Honeycomb drivers (A5 - Midrange ) and M9 (All drivers)

The ads in Stereophile as example, promote this driver as the closet to pistonic.

So, where the drivers before them and on current model magico sans the A5 and M9 non-pistonic?
I dont know , i have not really looked into their driver technology lately .

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
No one knows the minimum recommended size of room yet. M9 is not offically launched, but it should be in the near future. COVID-19 surely disrupts any planning.

From the drivers line-up, dual 15" woofers certainly require a lot of space to disgust. I assume the active crossover allows adjustment on woofer level, they can be dialed down if necessary. Common sense suggests a large room, I expect the width of room to be at least 15 feet and plenty of depth and height to go with it.

The weight of the pair, almost one ton, is more of a concern. Floor slab of most typical houses has difficulty bearing this weight, particularly it is not a static load. Speaker shakes in function, that is detrimental when floor loading is marginal.
Catching up..

Firstly, they're 1000 lbs each. However WRT weight concerns on a concrete slab, there should be none. If installed flat on the floor they are 800 sq" = 1.25lb / inch. However, if installed as most (all?) will via their 4 feet then it's still only 250lbs per footer. If your concrete floor can't handle 250lb over ~1.25" = 200 lbs / inch then you should sue your builder. ;-)

Also, in terms of static vs. dynamic load, it's not truly a dynamic load in the sense that the speaker is de - coupled via footers so the the dynamic loading is minimal. So now if you want you can go buy a pair! :)

Reactions: Bobvin

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Catching up..

Firstly, they're 1000 lbs each. However WRT weight concerns on a concrete slab, there should be none. If installed flat on the floor they are 800 sq" = 1.25lb / inch. However, if installed as most (all?) will via their 4 feet then it's still only 250lbs per footer. If your concrete floor can't handle 250lb over ~1.25" = 200 lbs / inch then you should sue your builder. ;-)

Also, in terms of static vs. dynamic load, it's not truly a dynamic load in the sense that the speaker is de - coupled via footers so the the dynamic loading is minimal. So now if you want you can go buy a pair! :)
Agree...lets put this another way...how many houses have a nice old cast iron bathtub in the upstairs bedroom? With 80 to even 100 gallons of water in it, that alone weighs probably 1,000-1,250 pounds including the bathtub itself...(on 4 eagle claw feet probably)...oh and then you have to add the person sitting in the tub! 1000 - 1500 pounds on 4 eagle claw iron feet!

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6 and dbeau

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'll wonder about all that Lloyd as I sit in one upstairs later. Pass me that Cadburys Flake, will ya?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I'll wonder about all that Lloyd as I sit in one upstairs later. Pass me that Cadburys Flake, will ya?
Marc I don’t think you can put two flakes in the one bath… cmon dude it’s the audiophile limit, you know the rules :eek:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Agree...lets put this another way...how many houses have a nice old cast iron bathtub in the upstairs bedroom? With 80 to even 100 gallons of water in it, that alone weighs probably 1,000-1,250 pounds including the bathtub itself...(on 4 eagle claw feet probably)...oh and then you have to add the person sitting in the tub! 1000 - 1500 pounds on 4 eagle claw iron feet!
Or 2 in the tub!!

Great comparison as that's also really dynamic as the tub is empty, then full, then in and out of the tub over and over! :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I would say "one in the hand is worth more than two in the tub"...but I'm sure I'll get banned Lol.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Or 2 in the tub!!

Great comparison as that's also really dynamic as the tub is empty, then full, then in and out of the tub over and over! :)
Yes...and the cast iron tub + water + person(s) vs massive speakers is not that different than microwave/vacuum cleaner/kettle or electric stove or dryer vs massive amplifier in terms of electrical draw. It is amazing when you do the comparison. Creating long-term high heat out of electricity draws a LOT of power.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Yes...and the cast iron tub + water + person(s) vs massive speakers is not that different than microwave/vacuum cleaner/kettle or electric stove or dryer vs massive amplifier in terms of electrical draw. It is amazing when you do the comparison. Creating long-term high heat out of electricity draws a LOT of power.
Well, other than there's commonly a sh*tload of noise on the line generated by appliances, especially ones with motors...

But from a power perspective you're absolutely right!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The first M9 owner in Hong Kong :

IMG_20211106_234033.jpg

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
What are the amps?
Goldmund Eidos Reference SACD Player
Goldmund Mimesis Nextgen 22H Preamp
Goldmund Telos 5500 monos (bi-amp)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing