Magico M9

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Probably, but a prime objective in this instance was to immerse in concert videos - and with that 80" monitor... wow, immerse, you can. I was enjoying the Pat Metheny DVD - getting a double dose with both the audio and video, watching Pat master his talent.
Beautiful install.....however the lucky owner of this World Class system might want to “re- think” the relatively small (for that very large space space) 80 inch monitor . There are several very good flat screen HIGH DEF, monitors starting at 100 inches. Definitely will improve the visual immersive experience.
Cheers....

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Wrong answer. This is about setting the correct volume for your room. If you wanna ignore do so at your peril
Cableman, do you think there is a distinction to be made between the correct volume for one’s room versus the correct volume for the music being played presuming the room is capable of handling it?

The reason I ask is that to me listening to a swing band or Zepplin requires a different volume level than listening to a cello sonata or acoustic girl with guitar. These types of music will be played at very different levels when heard live in actual venues.

Varying the volume at which I play them on my audio system increases the realism of the experience.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Cableman, do you think there is a distinction to be made between the correct volume for one’s room versus the correct volume for the music being played presuming the room is capable of handling it?

The reason I ask is that to me listening to a swing band or Zepplin requires a different volume level than listening to a cello sonata or acoustic girl with guitar. These types of music will be played at very different levels when heard live in actual venues.

Varying the volume at which I play them on my audio system increases the realism of the
I am surprised at you Peter you should know the answer to this without asking cable man :)

The answer is wrong! Once you know your room volume then nothing else matters.

As a matter of fact once you get the proper room volume then you can just take that volume knob off of your preamp and throw it away :)

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013

Varying the volume at which I play them on my audio system increases the realism of the experience.
Respectfully, absolutely NOT. The RRV requires no adjustment beyond setting the correct volume for the room. If it’s set right then everything you play will sound right irrespective. Some will have more head room to breath but they will still sound spot on in terms of clarity detail soundstage dynamics etc etc. I know many on here are still skeptics and a few Luddites have chosen to mute me but I assure you it doesn’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows when it comes to RRV

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Today/Tonight I listened to Vol2 of the Factory Records Box Set ( for nostalgia, I used to work with them). Also Beatles Past Masters and Yellow Submarine Lps. Miles Kind of Blue UHQR, Carpenters Christmas Lp and Joni Ladies of the Canyon. Didn’t change the volume once. Didn’t have to coz my RRV is correctly set.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I must say I have heard/read it all. Unless I am missing out on a joke telling someone that you should set your audio to a certain volume and leave is alone is just crazy. What am I missing here? Did I miss a post among the 1000+ on this topic?

Reactions: lordcloud

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I must say I have heard/read it all. Unless I am missing out on a joke telling someone that you should set your audio to a certain volume and leave is alone is just crazy. What am I missing here? Did I miss a post among the 1000+ on this topic?
Wrong. Clearly you misunderstand RRV. it’s you whos missing out

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Wrong. Clearly you misunderstand RRV. it’s you whos missing out
Like I said "What am I missing here"? I put the question in my post so please explain. Saying I 'm missing out doesn't answer my question. Is there a post in this topic that I need to read? If so can you or someone please let me know which one it is and I will kindly read it.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Like I said "What am I missing here"? I put the question in my post so please explain. Saying I 'm missing out doesn't answer my question. Is there a post in this topic that I need to read? If so can you or someone please let me know which one it is and I will kindly read it.
You said ‘it’s crazy’. And ‘a joke’. I can’t help you

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

I think it goes to the rotten core of the problem that people turn a blind eye when clearly there is a culture of corruption at play. And that’s my last word on this matter. For now…

oh please god let it be true, for RRV as well, here in the Magico thread. Start your own thread on these matters.

Agh shit… my prayers have gone unanswered!

• Haha
Reactions: tima

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Remember the "Loudness" button on hifi receivers and integrated amps in the 70s and 80s? Well, check out the Fletcher Munson curve. Our ear/brain apparatus has non-linear frequency sensitivity shifts which vary with the loudness; sensitivity around the 2-4kHz is always the highest, with the rest of the frequencies catching up with with increasing loudness. Therefore, music will sound bass-shy at lower volumes.

Reactions: HughP3

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
In terms of my room and my system….

What affects the volume settings I use?
1. The recording …..some are louder and some are quieter
2. The program material……for instruments to sound ‘real’ the brain is very sensitive to volume. For a flute say, the brain is able to subconsciously compute perceived distance to the player and the ‘effort’ (amount of breath) the player is using to know instinctively what the correct volume should be. The same is true for a violin for example. Listen to a solo violin and your subconscious knows how loud it should be based on the ‘vigour’ with which its being played And the distance between violin and listener.
3. The amplitude of room reflections…..too loud and the room will start to have greater influence than it otherwise should have. The room essentially ’overloads’ as sound waves become too energetic and bounce around in the audible range. The RT of the room doesn’t change, just that the reflections are more energetic and therefore more audible And intrusive.
4. When I listen to Swiss Radio Classics for example, I use around -14.5dB to listen to an orchestra, but as soon as the announcer comes on, that is abnormally loud, as my brain knows that an announcer at that distance, using a certain amount of breath (speaking effort) shouldn’t be so loud…..so if I want both orchestra and announcer to sound as accurate and natural as possible, I need to change the volume. The reason for that is because the recording techniques for orchestra and announcer were different.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Today/Tonight I listened to Vol2 of the Factory Records Box Set ( for nostalgia, I used to work with them). Also Beatles Past Masters and Yellow Submarine Lps. Miles Kind of Blue UHQR, Carpenters Christmas Lp and Joni Ladies of the Canyon. Didn’t change the volume once. Didn’t have to coz my RRV is correctly set.
Buy some good speakers like the M9 s .
I assume they will play good at all volumes.
No need to worry about " RRV" anymore

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Buy some good speakers like the M9 s .
I assume they will play good at all volumes.
No need to worry about " RRV" anymore
Is the wrong answer. You really dont know what your missing do you bud

oh and thx. I have really good Loudspeakers. :)

Last edited:

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Remember the "Loudness" button on hifi receivers and integrated amps in the 70s and 80s? Well, check out the Fletcher Munson curve. Our ear/brain apparatus has non-linear frequency sensitivity shifts which vary with the loudness; sensitivity around the 2-4kHz is always the highest, with the rest of the frequencies catching up with with increasing loudness. Therefore, music will sound bass-shy at lower volumes.

I thought that was patently obvious no?

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
In terms of my room and my system….

What affects the volume settings I use?
1. The recording …..some are louder and some are quieter
2. The program material……for instruments to sound ‘real’ the brain is very sensitive to volume. For a flute say, the brain is able to subconsciously compute perceived distance to the player and the ‘effort’ (amount of breath) the player is using to know instinctively what the correct volume should be. The same is true for a violin for example. Listen to a solo violin and your subconscious knows how loud it should be based on the ‘vigour’ with which its being played And the distance between violin and listener.
3. The amplitude of room reflections…..too loud and the room will start to have greater influence than it otherwise should have. The room essentially ’overloads’ as sound waves become too energetic and bounce around in the audible range. The RT of the room doesn’t change, just that the reflections are more energetic and therefore more audible And intrusive.
4. When I listen to Swiss Radio Classics for example, I use around -14.5dB to listen to an orchestra, but as soon as the announcer comes on, that is abnormally loud, as my brain knows that an announcer at that distance, using a certain amount of breath (speaking effort) shouldn’t be so loud…..so if I want both orchestra and announcer to sound as accurate and natural as possible, I need to change the volume. The reason for that is because the recording techniques for orchestra and announcer were different.
Oh dear. It all sounds nice but you really really shouldn’t change the volume not if you’ve set RRV in advance. You really don’t.

why is this so hard for some. ( not referring to you Blackmore)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Respectfully, absolutely NOT. The RRV requires no adjustment beyond setting the correct volume for the room. (...)

OK. Digital sourced sound levels are extremely easy to quantify. Please tell us what is the reading you get in a sound-meter, preferably both readings in dB and dBA, playing a -20dB pink noise track. Then we will get an idea of the correct volume for your room.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
OK. Digital sourced sound levels are extremely easy to quantify. Please tell us what is the reading you get in a sound-meter, preferably both readings in dB and dBA, playing a -20dB pink noise track. Then we will get an idea of the correct volume for your room.
Interesting question. But why on earth would you wish that info. I can’t see the point so please explain your thinking process here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing