Magico M9

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Yes. I think the same would have to be true for the customers' rooms affecting the sound of the systems with Magico speakers. Those rooms will not be Magico's new room that disappears. Magico can't control those rooms or those other systems. They can control the Magico room and the components that comprise their reference system. Perhaps their dealers will have some influence on their customers' choices of components and help in "mitigating" their room issues.
I think it's a subtle point, but I think any speaker with it's cabinet/bracing, crossovers, drivers, wire end up creating "sound". My thought is that Magico is working on their speakers to insure that their speakers don't have a particular "sound" because of the mentioned components that make up a speaker.

Magico is not trying to make their speakers immune to the effects of different electronics or different room issues. Magico is trying to make sure that their speakers do not, by themselves, cause sonic issues, regardless of the room and electronics.

The room and electronics have to be dealt with on a case by case basis, but mitigating inherent problems that can be created by speakers themselves, is what this specific acoustic endeavor is about, imho.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
As an example, you can take ANY speaker and if that speaker has one or a few general flaws (bass humps, hot tweeters, whatever) you can place these speakers in a room, do measurements, figure out how to mitigate the issues that the speaker has caused, if in fact it was the speaker itself causing the issues, and create a synergistic relationship between said speaker and the said room.

Take that speaker out of the room or even place it on a different wall in the same room and you then again will have to "tame the situation" because no matter where you place the speaker it will have these same general flaws or more kindly "flavors".

If the speaker(s) can be designed and manufactured to not have any inherent issues, then it takes one variable out of the equation and then one can focus on the room itself and the system variables that in unison with the speaker "move the air" in the room. Just my .02 cents.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Konstantinos from Pilium Audio visited Alon at Magico this past Friday. Next Konstantinos will visit at the Portland RLBob West's place today, then K will be in at the Dallas RLR on Tuesday and to the Brooklyn Rhapsody location from next Wednesday through Friday.
279645904_5748235688525895_2705920799342906619_n-2.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks for sharing this photo, Bob. The people and gear really helps with understanding the scale of the room. It almost looks smaller than what I remember when visiting the old room. The carpet is also very interesting with the different textures. I like the all black aesthetic and especially the lovely wood flooring. Those are might big speakers. Konstantinos has quite a tour scheduled.

Reactions: Rhapsody

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The carpet is also very interesting with the different textures.
I'm thinking that's a carpet over another carpet?

Reactions: PeterA

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

TLi

May 27, 2016
Below is an expensive Persian carpet. It is thin and refined but not very good in absorbing sound.

On top is a standard thick carpet you can find in IKEA, it is much cheaper and can protect in the expensive one below, more importantly, it is effective in absorbing sound.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Below is an expensive Persian carpet. It is thin and refined but not very good in absorbing sound.

On top is a standard thick carpet you can find in IKEA, it is much cheaper and can protect in the expensive one below, more importantly, it is effective in absorbing sound.
What's the point of putting the Persian carpet there at all if you aren't going to see it??

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
What's the point of putting the Persian carpet there at all if you aren't going to see it??
The room is one month old. The Persian rug was the rug used in the previous room. The rug situation is still in process and the last detail that is important to the overall room and system set up, which was just recently completed.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Btw, I have several customers with $50M Townhomes/residences in Manhattan. Several of them have "layered" rugs. It's common in very expensive environments. You can read about it here if you choose. https://www.marthastewart.com/1530225/how-to-layer-your-rugs

Magico is just experimenting at the moment with rugs vs. layering expensive rugs but it is done frequently in high end environments here in the city at least.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I repeat my old post:

F. Toole reccomeds a high-quality clipped-pile woven carpets (with porous backing because the sound must be allowed to penetrate into the felt underlay) on a good carpet underlay— 40 oz/sq yd (1.4 kg/m2) hair felt, which is typically about 0.43 in. (11 mm) thick. We should avoid rubber or plastic backed carpets. Sound Reproduction page 478.

The idea is that we should have a regular absorption at all frequencies above a defined threshold, not a ragged absorption spectra. Better a bare floor than a poorly treated floor.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Konstantinos, owner of Pilium with another Magico M9 in Dallas TX, with Chris Hesse, owner of the DFW RLR, in a “temporary” room and set up until the new room of Dallas RLR (Rhapsody Listening Room) gets completed. This breathtaking M9 system will include Pilium ALEXANDER preamplifier, 2 x Pilium ZEUS stereo power amplifiers, new Pilium VENUS dac with Taiko EXTREME streamer and full VYDA cabling. Another REFERENCE system in Dallas TX USA!

22WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 11.41.14 AM.jpeg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Btw, I have several customers with $50M Townhomes/residences in Manhattan. Several of them have "layered" rugs. It's common in very expensive environments. You can read about it here if you choose. https://www.marthastewart.com/1530225/how-to-layer-your-rugs

Magico is just experimenting at the moment with rugs vs. layering expensive rugs but it is done frequently in high end environments here in the city at least.
After Daiza Stacking and Switch daisy-chaining, rug-layering is the next big "thing" ? :p

Reactions: ALF

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
After Daiza Stacking and Switch daisy-chaining, rug-layering is the next big "thing" ? :p
Nothing to do with sonics, stacked Persian rugs just look cool:)

Reactions: ALF

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Last edited:
Reactions: Kingsrule

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Konstantinos and Costas from
I don't think I've seen it anywhere other than in NYC actually. Although in NYC I've seen it many times.

Here is an article on layering rugs. Lot's of pics in Architectural Digest as well....

https://nazmiyalantiquerugs.com/blog/layering-rugs-interior-design/

View attachment 92431
View attachment 92430

View attachment 92428
View attachment 92429
I'm afraid my side table will become unstable, and hence my wine glass. Oh-the-horror! Its one thing when I become unstable (my wife might say it is more the norm), but please don't let the glass itself become tipsy. ;)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Robert Harley from TAS visits Alon at Magico for two days to hear/see the Magico M9.

The M9s, at the Magico factory showroom, are driven with the Pilium Alexander preamp and four Pilium Hercules mono amplifiers with all VYDA cabling.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is an amazingly superlative review, Bob! Congratulations!

Interestingly to me Robert comments on the warmth and harmonic richness he hears from the M9.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
If you think the review is good, make a visit to hear them. Get a pillow for your chin, so when your jaw hits the floor you won’t need a trip to the dentist.

• Haha
Reactions: ecwl and Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing