Magico M9

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Interesting article Bob. Thank you for posting the link.

I could not help wondering while reading about the transparency or lack of distortion from both the new room and the speaker, what exactly RH was describing the sound of. I thought it must not be the M9 but rather the rest of the system. But then he is really just talking about the sound of the instruments in the recording and not about the gear at all. At least that is the impression I got from the review. I got the sense that nothing had a sound of its own though he does not state that exactly. I never read a review quite like that.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

I could not help wondering while reading about the transparency or lack of distortion from both the new room and the speaker, what exactly RH was describing the sound of. I thought it must not be the M9 but rather the rest of the system. But then he is really just talking about the sound of the instruments in the recording and not about the gear at all. At least that is the impression I got from the review. I got the sense that nothing had a sound of its own though he does not state that exactly. I never read a review quite like that.
Yes, it was M9 focused for sure, but most people would know it's not just the speakers that make sound. It's first the interface of the speakers with the room and then what is used to drive the speakers.

The pics showing the Pilium/VYDA system, which drives both the Magico showroom M9is and our Dallas M9s are good enough for us.

Very strange indeed to not mention anything but the M9s....it is what it is.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Btw, my sense when listening to our Dallas M9s was I forgot about the M9s or the electronics completely. I just felt like I was listening to the instruments and the music being played, nothing else. It was almost like the M9s and the system were "in the way" and were not contributing to the sound, it was just the music.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, it was M9 focused for sure, but most people would know it's not just the speakers that make sound. It's first the interface of the speakers with the room and then what is used to drive the speakers.

The pics showing the Pilium/VYDA system, which drives both the Magico showroom M9is and our Dallas M9s are good enough for us.

Very strange indeed to not mention anything but the M9s....it is what it is.

Bob what I meant is that the review is not about the sound of the M9 or other gear. It is about what RH heard from the recordings. He goes to some lengths to state or imply that the speakers and room have little to no sound of their own. It follows that what he heard is the recording not the gear or room but I don’t recall him stating that overtly.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob what I meant is that the review is not about the sound of the M9 or other gear. It is about what RH heard from the recordings. He goes to some lengths to state or imply that the speakers and room have little to no sound of their own. It follows that what he heard is the recording not the gear or room but I don’t recall him stating that overtly.
Yes, you only get the sense of the music being played, nothing else. Just the musical performance. For me it was quite a different sonic experience.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I don't think I've seen it anywhere other than in NYC actually. Although in NYC I've seen it many times.

Here is an article on layering rugs. Lot's of pics in Architectural Digest as well....

https://nazmiyalantiquerugs.com/blog/layering-rugs-interior-design/

View attachment 92431
View attachment 92430

View attachment 92428
View attachment 92429
Bob, I love that you're also getting into interior design! All we need to do is figure out how to get AD to write an article with photos of quality speakers in beautiful rooms and wives will start asking for them. Not sure you remember this, but Bonny Pressman (of Barney's New York fame) had cream-colored Wilsons in her 5th Avenue apartment. Your new townhouse looks terrific. Look forward to seeing and hearing it on a future trip to NYC.

Reactions: Lee

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, I love that you're also getting into interior design! All we need to do is figure out how to get AD to write an article with photos of quality speakers in beautiful rooms and wives will start asking for them. Not sure you remember this, but Bonny Pressman (of Barney's New York fame) had cream-colored Wilsons in her 5th Avenue apartment. Your new townhouse looks terrific. Look forward to seeing and hearing it on a future trip to NYC.
I look forward to your visit!!!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have to say that Rhapsody has been selling systems into high end luxury homes for many years now. We also worked with a true interior designer/architect Iliad.nyc for 10 years.

Since Covid and moving to Brooklyn in our own designer environment we are engaging luxury living buyers on a regular basis. We have four or five interior designers that we work with as well when the projects present themselves.

Reactions: gleeds

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If you think the review is good, make a visit to hear them. Get a pillow for your chin, so when your jaw hits the floor you won’t need a trip to the dentist.

If Alon ever has high-power tube amps in the inventory, and a vinyl replay source set-up, I would very much like to make that visit someday!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
If Alon ever has high-power tube amps in the inventory, and a vinyl replay source set-up, I would very much like to make that visit some
Chris and I, who have two vinyl set ups available with our M9s in Dallas would not even bother getting high powered tube amps after listening to our M9s with the Pilium gear.

For us it's not about the gear, it's about the sonic landscape . For our tastes we have arrived regarding the sound. We are set for the long term now, including both vinyl and streaming formats.

So far and there have been many visitors at both Magico and now Dallas, no one has wished for tubes to drive the M9s after their visits. Sure before hearing a system people have all types of wants and thoughts.

Best to hear something and then make a judgment as to whether it needs this or that,

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
If Alon ever has high-power tube amps in the inventory, and a vinyl replay source set-up, I would very much like to make that visit someday!
Ron, I'm with Bob.east on that one... make the trip to hear the M9 with the Pilium kit. You might come away saying "tubes, really, what was I thinking?"

I was a tube guy for ALL my audiophile life. Now there's just a single tube per channel in my phono-pre. I'm happy as a pig in slop!

Mostly, have a listen to those M9s. Worth the time and effort. I'm going to go big and bold and say an audiophile's bona fides are not secure until they've heard the M9s. :p

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I suppose they are not in Munich or are they ?
The biggest Magico to hear will be the M6 in munich ?
In the MAGICO ROOM (F115) there will be Magico A5s, Pilium, MSB and Taiko Audio. Not sure where or who has M6s,

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
So a few weeks ago Alon Wolf reached out and suggested I visit Hayward and hear the M9s. I thought about it and decided this would be a good idea. I fly into San Francisco on Sunday and will spend much of the day with Alon and capture some video and also provide some impressions of the sound.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Nice! Looking forward to your impressions.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So a few weeks ago Alon Wolf reached out and suggested I visit Hayward and hear the M9s. I thought about it and decided this would be a good idea. I fly into San Francisco on Sunday and will spend much of the day with Alon and capture some video and also provide some impressions of the sound.

Great. This is where you are going to listen:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Be sure to bring a pillow, when your jaw drops and hits the floor it’s nice if there is padding. :cool: Saves you a trip to the dentist!

• Haha
Reactions: Lee, TLi and Audire

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Here is another workin progress listening room that will house the M9. A friend of mine, Mr. Chai. He will be using two sets of CH M10 to drive the M9s.

891A01D2-BD41-4E9F-ACEB-F6E4C211F3DA.jpeg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Sounds like a lot of fun Lee. Will you be recording the sound of the system?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Sounds like a lot of fun Lee. Will you be recording the sound of the system?
Peter, if you want to know how the M9s sound, go listen to them. You can visit Hayward, or soon you can visit Rhapsody.Dallas. There are already several M9 videos posted on this forum that give a hint of their magic. Look in the VYGER Atlantis IV thread for the latest. You can’t possibly hope to know what M9s sound like listening through another pair of speakers.

They are the best speaker I have ever heard. Stunning!

Reactions: GuyB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing