Magico M9

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
actively changing the line level signal before amplification
There is nothing active in a potmeter , there is no gain stage
Another example : A passive pre amp ( via resistors ) is called passive for a reason .

X over means : crossing frequencies of individual units .
Adjusting volume via a resistor is called a passive element

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
There is nothing active in a potmeter , there is no gain stage
Another example : A passive pre amp ( via resistors ) is called passive for a reason .

X over means : crossing frequencies of individual units .
Adjusting volume via a resistor is called a passive element
Magico MXO is indedd active.

Form Magico web page:
The new Magico Analog Crossover (MXO) was designed in-house from our own platform to manage the crossover frequency between the 15-inch bass and 11-inch mid-bass drivers.
At such a low frequency, a passive crossover would require huge inductors and capacitors which would incur substantial losses. The meticulous design of the MXO has fully balanced and discrete circuit topology with Linkwitz-Riley filters to deliver steep 24 dB per octave slopes at the crossover frequency of 120 Hz. Precision step attenuators provide 0.5 dB/step control of each output, using a proprietary technique to ensure purity in the signal path. Open architecture accommodates additional filter topologies. The external power supply chassis regenerates AC and applies active regulation to every part of the circuitry.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If the MXO has no amp in it then officially it is a passive unit .
If it has an amp in it then its active X over

WIKI
Cannata is it that hard to understand ? ;)

Passive crossovers are the most common type of audio crossover. They use a network of passive electrical components (e.g., capacitors, inductors and resistors) to split up an amplified signal coming from one power amplifier so that it can be sent to two or more loudspeaker drivers (e.g., a woofer and a very low frequency subwoofer, or a woofer and a tweeter, or a woofer-midrange-tweeter combination).

Last edited:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy

WIKI

Passive crossovers are the most common type of audio crossover. They use a network of passive electrical components (e.g., capacitors, inductors and resistors) to split up an amplified signal coming from one power amplifier so that it can be sent to two or more loudspeaker drivers (e.g., a woofer and a very low frequency subwoofer, or a woofer and a tweeter, or a woofer-midrange-tweeter combination).
Did you read Magico description :rolleyes:
The part about the “fully balanced and discrete circuit topology”, the “external power supply chassis regenerates AC and applies active regulation to every part of the circuitry”

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The MXO has a 12db gain stage. The M9 is not your typical speaker configuration/Xover configuration.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
If it has an amp in it then its active X over

WIKI

You are confusing active speakers with active crossovers. Here is a link to First Watt, Nelson Pass describing his ACTIVE crossover ! Is he confused and getting the description of his product wrong ? ;)

Reactions: Carlos269

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I know it's not the case with Magico. Can't speak for Wilson. The M9 are Alon's masterpiece imho. The MXO is a central part of the M9, along with the drivers, the CF inner and outer skins. For sure it has driving requirements, but two stereo amps are not so crazy of a requirement again imho.
I also think it is his masterpiece. Actually the name Magico Ultimate might be more appropriate than designated it to the horns. I can appreciate this M9 for way they present sound. Very different from horns. But seems ultimate in what they do and the way they do it. My first impression hearing three video clips of this M9 was pretty much the same as what Howie described in post #738. Those qualities he described shined through videos. I also think this big M9 needs a big room to really shine and show its capability. Although I favor a different type sound, I think this M9 is the ultimate cone box speakers. If anyone like the way horn present sound they should just choose horn not cone box speakers trying to sound like horn.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I'll grant you that. The birds sound astonishingly real on the video. Everything else, well, you know my opinion.
Ha! You do not have experience on bird sound. The sound of birds in the video threw you the suspension of disbelief. But that doesnt resemble natural as much as you said about violin. You were fool! :p You want to be a hell of a audiophile like me you go listen to birds in real. You will find that that sound of birds in video lack harmonic and has sharp leading edge. Bird chirping sound sharp but with soft edge. Before arguing with me go listen more birds. :)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Listening to audio on a computer, or a tablet, is at best an approximation.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You are confusing active speakers with active crossovers. Here is a link to First Watt, Nelson Pass describing his ACTIVE crossover ! Is he confused and getting the description of his product wrong ? ;)

No because apparently his X over also has a powercord and a gainstage
from the Pass manual ;

The active circuits are DC coupled JFET complementary followers operated without feedback.

But the MXO has a 12 db gainstage thats all i wanted to know

Reactions: Lagonda

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Ha! You do not have experience on bird sound. The sound of birds in the video threw you the suspension of disbelief. But that doesnt resemble natural as much as you said about violin. You were fool! :p You want to be a hell of a audiophile like me you go listen to birds in real. You will find that that sound of birds in video lack harmonic and has sharp leading edge. Bird chirping sound sharp but with soft edge. Before arguing with me go listen more birds. :)
I think its better Howie posts a Piano recording next time or an Orchestra .
Without birds please .
i actually did like the bird sound ( I thought also it was real sounding )

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sounds good thanks for posting .
But indeed as you say to have a good opinion on these speakers you need to hear them in real life off course as is the case with all audio components

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing