Melco C1 SFP+ Direct Attach Cable : the first in audiophile market

A few things to watch out for when using a Direct Attach Cable:
1. There is no galvanic isolation, because there is no optical conversion. The devices on both ends of the cable need to be connected to the same ground point, otherwise there will be a ground loop. Ground plane current in a digital system does not show up as a hum or buzz like it does in an analog system, but will negatively impact sound quality from the DAC.
2. Unlike fiber optic cable, copper cable is subject to EMI/RFI. That's why the maximum length is usually specified at 15 meters and preferably no more than 9 meters. Shortest is best.
3. The C1-D20 is SFP+. If you connect to a 10Gb device upstream and a 1Gb device downstream. it will not work. A gigabit device cannot decode a 10G datastream. If the devices at both ends are equal, either 1G or 10G, there's no problem.
check out March (I believe) 2024 edition for a recent review. You may find it insightful.
That is a frustrating article, because he says "I swapped back to the standard optical SFP cable I was previously using", with no indication of which SFP or cable he was using.

I haven't heard a DAC cable in my system, but I suspect the results are the same as most everything in audio. Whether it is better or not will depend on system synergy and personal preference.

Last edited:
Mu
Agree with the overall assessments of the Melco Direct Attach Cable. I trialed one of these cables between a Taiko switch and my Extreme. The benefits were so significant that I will be trialing 2 more to add between my pair of SOtM sNH-10g switches and the Taiko switch.

I hear a more relaxed, more natural sound. A slight increase in transparency and soundstage depth/height. I am not sure the added benefits to transparency and soundstage would justify the expenditure. However, the more relaxed and natural sound leads to longer and more enjoyable listening sessions.

Up to now most of my listening is done with analog. I suspect these cables will tip the scales leading to much more time with my DAC?
Time will tell.
Much better job articulating! Thank you for that. For my modest, optimized streaming system that includes Network Acoustics Muon Pro filter & cable as well as numerous LessLoss products. The Melco 1 rose quickly above the already high bar the others products set. The performance space deepened, location of performers and instruments appear more defined and with more space between each performer. So far, 72hrs into the C1, I continue to be impressed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Republicoftexas69
A few things to watch out for when using a Direct Attach Cable:
1. There is no galvanic isolation, because there is no optical conversion. The devices on both ends of the cable need to be connected to the same ground point, otherwise there will be a ground loop. Ground plane current in a digital system does not show up as a hum or buzz like it does in an analog system, but will negatively impact sound quality from the DAC.
2. Unlike fiber optic cable, copper cable is subject to EMI/RFI. That's why the maximum length is usually specified at 15 meters and preferably no more than 9 meters.
3. The C1-D20 is SFP+. If you connect to a 10Gb device upstream and a 1Gb device downstream. it will not work. A gigabit device cannot decode a 10G datastream. If the devices at both ends are equal, either 1G or 10G, there's no problem.

That is a frustrating article, because he says "I swapped back to the standard optical SFP cable I was previously using", with no indication of which SFP or cable he was using.

I haven't heard a DAC cable in my system, but I suspect the results are the same as most everything in audio. Whether it is better or not will depend on system synergy and personal preference.
Yes, well put! Fortunately, for my purposes, the new C1 moved the needle in the right direction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing