Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
View attachment 82027

I got remastered HD version of this recording in Korea.

Actually I got around 450 HD re-master of classical and 250 Jazz albums.:)

I may not need to buy any new albums for next 3 years.

I found that HD remaster sounds fuller than 44.1 CD versions with nuanced details and wideer soundstage.

The above recording really sounds fabulous through my system with sweet violin and full bodied cello.

View attachment 82029

This HD remaster also sounds nice with realistc soundstage extending beyond each speakers.

The source is Cocktail Audio X30 with 2T SSD, Chord Dave and Mscaler.

I had not decided whether I will upgrade music server to Aurender N30 yet.

The pre is Schitt Freya fitted with Tungsol and Raytheon 6f8g made in 1950's.

The power amp is Line Magnetic 508 fitted with Nos RCA 805, EML 300b, Russian 6n9s, 6n8s(Melz 1578).

The speaker is Lansche 4.1 with plasma tweeter.

My system sounds midway between Magico A5 and Altec A800.

It has enough details and clarity but not analytical like Magico.

Maybe it sounds closer to Tannoy Autograph made in 1960's.

I have two Scaena 18 inch subwoofers ready for more sub bass.

View attachment 82028

After staying in Korea for 4 weeks to attend wedding of my son, I am happy to be back to my home in Washington State.

My grandson and youngest daughter posed in front of wedding place.

I expect to pick up Altec A7 late September.

A7 will be driven by Silbatone 300b amp fitted with Western Electric 300b made in 1940's.

It will be intersting to find out which I will prefer between Lansche 4.1 and Altec A7.

;)
Great albums.

Reactions: thomask

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I nowadays wonder what they use to re-master a CD? (or a CD for that matter), some re masters indeed add value and some sound so poorly that I wonder if they digitized a copy of a copy of a copy.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I nowadays wonder what they use to re-master a CD? (or a CD for that matter), some re masters indeed add value and some sound so poorly that I wonder if they digitized a copy of a copy of a copy.
Remasters are terrible sounding in most cases.it’s just a compressed remaster.

Reactions: MPS

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
We had better get opinion from expert in our forum who is

Bruce A. Brown
Puget Sound Studios
I'm all ears ;-)
Seems he is so busy that his website got a bit antiquated, not secure, large programming warning box showing..
Impressive list of clients!

I usually like albums with as little compression as possible, it almost seems that if you give a recording engineer many knobs to fiddle with they will use them all ;-)

Reactions: Lagonda and thomask

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
View attachment 82027

I got remastered HD version of this recording in Korea.

Actually I got around 450 HD re-master of classical and 250 Jazz albums.:)

I may not need to buy any new albums for next 3 years.

I found that HD remaster sounds fuller than 44.1 CD versions with nuanced details and wideer soundstage.

The above recording really sounds fabulous through my system with sweet violin and full bodied cello.

View attachment 82029

This HD remaster also sounds nice with realistc soundstage extending beyond each speakers.

The source is Cocktail Audio X30 with 2T SSD, Chord Dave and Mscaler.

I had not decided whether I will upgrade music server to Aurender N30 yet.

The pre is Schitt Freya fitted with Tungsol and Raytheon 6f8g made in 1950's.

The power amp is Line Magnetic 508 fitted with Nos RCA 805, EML 300b, Russian 6n9s, 6n8s(Melz 1578).

The speaker is Lansche 4.1 with plasma tweeter.

My system sounds midway between Magico A5 and Altec A800.

It has enough details and clarity but not analytical like Magico.

Maybe it sounds closer to Tannoy Autograph made in 1960's.

I have two Scaena 18 inch subwoofers ready for more sub bass.

View attachment 82028

After staying in Korea for 4 weeks to attend wedding of my son, I am happy to be back to my home in Washington State.

My grandson and youngest daughter posed in front of wedding place.

I expect to pick up Altec A7 late September.

A7 will be driven by Silbatone 300b amp fitted with Western Electric 300b made in 1940's.

It will be intersting to find out which I will prefer between Lansche 4.1 and Altec A7.

;)

You need a non-belt drive turntable and some original (non-remastered non-digital sourced) records to go with that fine altec system.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
You need a non-belt drive turntable and some original (non-remastered non-digital sourced) records to go with that fine altec system.
I appreciate your sincere suggestion.

But I had not played vinyl for more than 30 years although I had played vinyl from 1978 to 1989.

Thus it is not very likey that I go back to it.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I never thought I would go into vinyl, I'm at a stage where my music server sounds ridiculously good but am on the active lookout for a direct drive 16" transcription turntable after a long night of listening to mono first pressings a few months ago. There is some magic to it that is hard to grasp with digital, especially on mono recordings. The directness and naturalness is stunning and captivating.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I never thought I would go into vinyl, I'm at a stage where my music server sounds ridiculously good but am on the active lookout for a direct drive 16" transcription turntable after a long night of listening to mono first pressings a few months ago. There is some magic to it that is hard to grasp with digital, especially on mono recordings. The directness and naturalness is stunning and captivating.
Agree.I will never be without vinyl again.there’s something about it that is very special To me.

Reactions: jeff1225

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Yes, I was listening to the amazing jazz record Sweet Rain from 1967 on Verve (Stan Getz, Chick Corea, Ron Carter and I forget who (but he's great) on drums) on digital and it wasn't even a fraction as lively and explosive as I get from the LP version. Same for The Chick Corea album on ECM Trio Improvisations with Miroslav Vitous on bass and Roy Haynes on drums. The sound quality on the LP just blows you away and you feel really like you are there in a live concert. The digital version...its good but not even close to the same feeling. There are plenty of very good digital recordings but the most explosive dynamic sounds I get from my analog rig.

Reactions: MarcelNL

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, I was listening to the amazing jazz record Sweet Rain from 1967 on Verve (Stan Getz, Chick Corea, Ron Carter and I forget who (but he's great) on drums) on digital and it wasn't even a fraction as lively and explosive as I get from the LP version. Same for The Chick Corea album on ECM Trio Improvisations with Miroslav Vitous on bass and Roy Haynes on drums. The sound quality on the LP just blows you away and you feel really like you are there in a live concert. The digital version...its good but not even close to the same feeling. There are plenty of very good digital recordings but the most explosive dynamic sounds I get from my analog rig.
Does that mean that the vinyl record is better than the CD or that your vinyl rig is better than your digital transport/DAC?

Reactions: christoph

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Does that mean that the vinyl record is better than the CD or that your vinyl rig is better than your digital transport/DAC?
I currently believe that a digital rig is capable of equal or even better dynamics than vinyl, yet what happens within those peaks does often not sound so nice anymore.
I'm currently tweaking a 10core CPU based build, to the max, and am at a stage where it probably equals a good (!) vinyl setup in that aspect, low end control and slam surpasses vinyl as well as detail in the midrange.

My observation is that good vinyl has a directness and energy that is hard to recreate with digital, whether that is a result os sampling rates at recording or mastering or the playback system I don't know...I am starting to lean towards the notion that all three matter, but you can only control the last bit...

On the occasion I mentioned we ended up listening to a mint first pressing of Brubeck's Take Five, never heard anything close to that.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Its not clear but I think it might have a lot to do with the mastering. Modern ECMs and ACT jazz records (and some older recordings) sound at least as good on digital on my rig... i think my digital is excellent but there might be a slight edge for analog but since the lead seems to move around depending on the recording it is perhaps more due to that. Still, it is a good reason to have both! When an LP is better mastered then it is often much better. This seems particularly true for the older ECMs. My vinyl version of Solstice (Ralph Towner, Jan Garbarek, Jon Christensen and Eberhard Weber) is simply much better than any digital versions I have heard...again it is real impact and explosiveness that the digital version just flattens. Come to think of it I hear the same with early Pat Methenys as well. However, some new LPs I have bought based on really good experience with the digital are not better and in many cases not as good.

Reactions: wil and MarcelNL

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I currently believe that a digital rig is capable of equal or even better dynamics than vinyl, yet what happens within those peaks does often not sound so nice anymore.
I'm currently tweaking a 10core CPU based build, to the max, and am at a stage where it probably equals a good (!) vinyl setup in that aspect, low end control and slam surpasses vinyl as well as detail in the midrange.

My observation is that good vinyl has a directness and energy that is hard to recreate with digital, whether that is a result os sampling rates at recording or mastering or the playback system I don't know...I am starting to lean towards the notion that all three matter, but you can only control the last bit...

On the occasion I mentioned we ended up listening to a mint first pressing of Brubeck's Take Five, never heard anything close to that.
I have a direct to disc of Jim Hall that makes an impression that is hard to forget...so direct and immediate that you feel like you are sitting there with them in the studio.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Those are pretty hard (rather impossible?) to come by :eek:

So doesn't it make quite little sense to optimize an additional vinyl rig for a few unobtainium records? :oops:

Reactions: thomask

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Those are pretty hard (rather impossible?) to come by :eek:

So doesn't it make quite little sense to optimize an additional vinyl rig for a few unobtainium records? :oops:
haha, yeah well...one can try, right? I'm not really jjust after that sort of unicorn status records, something more mundane will do ;-)

let's say that I have a tap into a pretty good source of unobtanium, someone with many thousand mostly very special albums and he usually has two or three of the same record in varying conditons. He will help me source what I am looking for.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
You’re in The Netherlands, not the USA with its libertarian values. The government subsidizes arts and culture in the Netherlands, the US subsidizes military firms. Apples to oranges.
US public education is also government subsidized. If my memory is correct, 65%+ of my town's total budget is for education. Not to get political, problem is not money but curriculum priorities.

Reactions: PeterA

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
US public education is also government subsidized. If my memory is correct, 65%+ of my town's total budget is for education. Not to get political, problem is not money but curriculum priorities.
I can't disagree with your statement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing