Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
plenty of the really old vintage speakers do use paper in oil capacitors, those age quite well without degradation
Oh, yes, of course. I'm not talking about oil capacitors, just film and electrolytics.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
plenty of the really old vintage speakers do use paper in oil capacitors, those age quite well without degradation
As long as it's tight and no PCB oil is leaking out, everything is fine. I would still change them, the stuff is highly toxic. but everyone as he wants.
If you have such capacitors, no PCB, that's excellent s-l400.jpg

Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
As long as it's tight and no PCB oil is leaking out, everything is fine. I would still change them, the stuff is highly toxic. but everyone as he wants.
If you have such capacitors, no PCB, that's excellent View attachment 126403
I have a few, with and without PCB... ;-)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
All what I do or use is blind tested by me and a few friends who are neither blind nor deaf.
I thought most audiophiles were price blind and tone deaf

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
If you have such capacitors, no PCB, that's excellent View attachment 126403
We each have our own comfort level. All of the big crossover caps in my speakers are old paper in oil caps from the PCB era. None of them are leaking and I use them all standing up vertically to minimize any possibility of leakage. I would like to use non-PCB caps if they sounded as good but none of the many I have tried sound as good as the older PCB caps. Of course the different brands and model designations all sound different. You have to try a variety to pick the ones that sound best in particular spots in the crossover. I have my favorite caps for the woofer and a different set of favorite caps for the horn midrange. I would give more details but I don't want to contribute to the price escalation of these vintage caps; a few years ago you could buy them for $15 each or so but they now go for over $100.

The only other caps I use in crossovers are the high-pass caps for my horn tweeters. Those are old paper in wax caps supposedly from the 1940s. Again, I have tried many different caps for that spot and those sound the best to my ears.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
A while ago I joked that we need bottled PCB for audio as it almost seems to be a magic ingredient ;-)
prices of PIO have gone up dramatically indeed!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
We each have our own comfort level. All of the big crossover caps in my speakers are old paper in oil caps from the PCB era. None of them are leaking and I use them all standing up vertically to minimize any possibility of leakage. I would like to use non-PCB caps if they sounded as good but none of the many I have tried sound as good as the older PCB caps. Of course the different brands and model designations all sound different. You have to try a variety to pick the ones that sound best in particular spots in the crossover. I have my favorite caps for the woofer and a different set of favorite caps for the horn midrange. I would give more details but I don't want to contribute to the price escalation of these vintage caps; a few years ago you could buy them for $15 each or so but they now go for over $100.

The only other caps I use in crossovers are the high-pass caps for my horn tweeters. Those are old paper in wax caps supposedly from the 1940s. Again, I have tried many different caps for that spot and those sound the best to my ears.
My favorite are the ones with a sprinkling of Plutonium...quite dangerous to be around but damn they sure make that sound "glow"! ;)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

understandable old drivers with modern cap high resolution transparent (small loss angle) capacitors sounds terrible. Distortions increase with very old drivers (e.g. loss of magnetic force or need air gaps cleaned ). There are enough experts on the internet to have the drivers overhauled and then it works with modern capacitors.
Before making bad judgments about capacitors, think about what the cause is.

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
What I do not like about most modern speakers is the lack of 'natural' sound, highs always seem too bright and one dimensional, dynamics are just a spike with no leading edge and no trailing edge and lack of overtones, phase coherence is usually non existent.

Many modern loudspeakers designed by measurements not listening.
- less Dynamics , less life/energy
- less beautiful tone / less natural sound
- less accurate bass (ported bass)
- brighter tweeter + less accurate time domain response

Many audiophiles like these modern speakers so The industry produce what they sell better.

Look at Wilson Audio history , Wilson decreased the efficiency 7db between 2010 - 2024 , why?
Because audiophiles do not care about dynamics and they like feeling of transparency .

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Many modern loudspeakers designed by measurements not listening.
- less Dynamics , less life/energy
- less beautiful tone / less natural sound
- less accurate bass (ported bass)
- brighter tweeter + less accurate time domain response

Many audiophiles like these modern speakers so The industry produce what they sell better.

Look at Wilson Audio history , Wilson decreased the efficiency 7db between 2010 - 2024 , why?
Because audiophiles do not care about dynamics and they like feeling of transparency .
I would argue that most audiophiles have no idea what they are missing and have been indoctrinated in the measurements based loudspeaker design as being the "right" way to design a speaker. It's more about exposure. You don't find inexperienced audiophiles usually going to higher dynamics and/or vintage designs...it is usually those who have been around the block many times with modern low sensitivity designs and find them lacking realism.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I do not have a lot of exposure or experience with vintage versus modern speakers, but one thing I have learned is that most main stream modern speakers require a lot of power, locking you into massive tube or powerful SS amps. This then locks you into a sound. My SETs have a magic/natural sound that I never heard from other amps. So, if you build the amp/speaker pairing based on amps first, you end up with efficient speakers. If those efficient speakers are designed well, you get effortless dynamics, scale, and tone with the right amp/speaker pairing. These are the essentials for a convincing experience.

It depends on one's goals and values. The other big difference I notice is that vintage tends to be a more holistic presentation. Modern tends to be sonic attributes. Music is an holistic experience.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
one thing come to my mind when I called David @ddk and we had a conversation about audio , David told me many audio manufactures are small family company and their research/development budget is very limited , in past some vintage loudspeakers designed by big companies like siemens but now most modern expensive high end speakers come from small companies.

Reactions: MarcelNL and PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Amazing insight into mutual exclusivity

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I recognize the dichotomy, but let me know if there is a perfect speaker with excellent resolution, dynamics, and an extended frequency response, at a "reasonable price", and able to fit in a normal size living room... Until then I compromise by having several speakers, which I listen to at different times depending on my mood. It's like polygamy :)

Reactions: Bobvin

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Also, it's not a question of "experience". There are plenty of reviewers out there who always listen and review the same type of systems and speakers. "Audiophile playlists" full of "soul-less" songs, where you are listening to "sounds" more than "music" also tend to steer you towards certain performance criteria. On the rare occasions where people play more interesting tracks they may still be "crap" digital versions, and either way, they cannot even recognize that the results are really poor, or they will explain that the system is so transparent that it will show all the defects of the recording. They are missing out...

Rant over!

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Also, it's not a question of "experience". There are plenty of reviewers out there who always listen and review the same type of systems and speakers. "Audiophile playlists" full of "soul-less" songs, where you are listening to "sounds" more than "music" also tend to steer you towards certain performance criteria. On the rare occasions where people play more interesting tracks they may still be "crap" digital versions, and either way, they cannot even recognize that the results are really poor, or they will explain that the system is so transparent that it will show all the defects of the recording. They are missing out...

Rant over!
The point is that those who go over to vintage or high sensitivity speakers tend to be among the most experienced audiophiles...not that all experienced audiophiles go that direction...some never grow up ;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Rant over!

Sure. The solution is to stop paying attention to those reviewers. Go out and listen for yourself with your own music, determine what your goals are, and proceed accordingly.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
one thing come to my mind when I called David @ddk and we had a conversation about audio , David told me many audio manufactures are small family company and their research/development budget is very limited , in past some vintage loudspeakers designed by big companies like siemens but now most modern expensive high end speakers come from small companies.
Yes, once upon a time, audio design was something prestigious for an engineer or scientist to work on. THerefore, they had big budgets to solve important issues in reproduction and could hire top notch minds to do the work. There are still some rare exceptions out there today...

Reactions: Amir
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Sure. The solution is to stop paying attention to those reviewers. Go out and listen for yourself with your own music, determine what your goals are, and proceed accordingly.
totally agree......stopped subscribing to TAS and Stereophile years ago, when I dicovered the mags still in their plastic on my coffee table after several weeks
next was when I lost interest in the web mags because it dawned on me that they often didn´t have a clue and were just making a living for themselves
often the reviewers had background from other businesses as reviewers and no previous knowledge of audio or sound reproduction
motive for many were just to get access to gear at reduced prices, or even free on eternal home loans
lot of that stuff was later sold in 2:nd hand market and effectively turned out to be bribes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing