Most vinyl-sounding DAC?

I looked up this dac and it uses an AKM dac IC. All the DSD dacs on my list are chipless in their DSD conversion.
Switchable for cd BB 1704, dsd ak 4499 or automatic detecting signal both work in there.native 1024 dsd.
Bandswidth 0- 50mhz no caps
Jitter 43ps.
I've never seen so much engineering effort into a DAC. This quality will prevail, there is no question.
New version

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum and Solypsa
Based on a somewhat similar experience, looking for a non-fatiguing DAC, I also recommend the Playback MPD-8.

APL
METRONOME
PLAYBACK DESIGNS.

Nobody has mentioned Audio Note DACs. I am not a digital expert but AN certainly has a reputation for having a more vinyl-like sound.

Aries Cerat Kassandra should also be on your list.

I love vinyl for its sound; dislike it for its relative lack of convenience. Looking to emulate the sound of vinyl in my digital set up and build a new system from scratch with this goal in mind.

Of course, it's ultimately a matter of total system synergy, but isolating the DAC as a single component, which DAC most lends itself to a vinyl-esque sound?

Some options I am looking at based on reputation:

- Mola Mola Tambaqui
- Playback Designs MPD-8
- Lampizator Horizon

Thank you!
If you're seeking the distinctive "vinyl sound" in DACs, consider exploring models that incorporate vacuum tubes. Companies such as Lampizator, Aries-Cerat, and Brinkmann are worth exploring in this regard.

Reactions: Zappadaddy
Totaldac D1-Triunity and Playback Designs MPD-8.

Reactions: gionaz and keithc
I have been a distributor for Playback Design for over 7 years. I have owned the Dreams Series for many years and have been consistently praising this DAC as one of the most fatigue-free digital playback systems available. Although I no longer carry the brand, I can still attest that it is one of the best DACs within the Solid State Arena.

In my experience, the Aries Cerat sounded even better, and even the Kassandra's lowest model actually sounded more natural, but this is a tube-based DAC.

Playback Design is capable of playing DSD, and with its transport system and Server MPT8 together with the MPD8, it provides a complete digital front end. I have since moved away from Playback Design and have opted for the Aries Cerat Ithaka.

I still hold the Playback Design DAC as one of the best-value DACs in the industry. It can holds its own against the top players and Andreas has made big strides with all his updates constantly improving via Software updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zappadaddy
LessLoss Echos End Reference.

a worthy goal. one i share. but so many facets to this idea. the issue is the word 'most'. 'most' presumes someone has really searched among dac alternatives, and then it also depends on the level of vinyl playback one is using. and the aspects of vinyl playback that are most significant.

if you are looking for vinyl sounding as 'listenability without digital fatigue' then maybe choosing the best dac you can afford with a tube output circuit might work. especially where you can roll tubes to taste. other dacs convert everything to dsd, which can knock the edge off the digital to a certain degree, improving listenability. the issue here is 'sameness'. any time the source gets 'processed' to remove or alter stuff, then the essence of the music is somewhat reduced in the name of listenability. and you might not realize it until you compare it to a dac that takes a different approach and does not do that.

but if by sounding like vinyl you mean without digital artifacts and the more live sounding and refined sounding, where differences between recordings and formats are exposed, but without fatigue, which goes beyond the listenability factor, now you have narrowed the field a great deal. since higher level vinyl starts with way more information, not sameness. and greater believability. you can have a digital source that sounds like vinyl in all ways. where you don't realize it's not vinyl. even with top level vinyl in your system.

and remember the server and dac<->server interface have a vote too. dacs can only be judged in the context of the whole digital pathway, and the level of synergy between the dac and server.

comes down to your vinyl reference, and expectations. there are many pretty good sounding dacs and servers that do a decent job at this. how serious and committed to it are you? do you really want the 'most'?

for the record, my suggestion is the Wadax Reference dac, plus Wadax Reference Server, and the Akasa optical interface as "most" vinyl sounding in all the best senses of that phrase. just my opinion. below the Wadax investment level there are a number of good alternatives depending on sonic priorities.
The problem with trying to assume that vinyl is better than digital is everyone is forgetting that that tape is where the sound begins. Most of the music we listen to today, pre 1980 was produced with reel to reel recordings, and these master recordings were far superior to the digital and vinyl copies of these tapes. I would love to listen to any recording from the original master tape. Maybe I am missing something here as I am an old school audiophile. Some of these modern day vinyl rigs are out of the stratosphere as far as pricing. Problem is, no matter how accurate the table and cartridge, you still have to deal with the imperfections of vinyl. I have a digital system, server, DAC that I would put up against any vinyl setup costing twice as much as my investment.

The problem with trying to assume that vinyl is better than digital is everyone is forgetting that that tape is where the sound begins. Most of the music we listen to today, pre 1980 was produced with reel to reel recordings, and these master recordings were far superior to the digital and vinyl copies of these tapes. I would love to listen to any recording from the original master tape.
for 17 years i have had a SOTA tape reference in my system in addition to vinyl. my process for acquiring tapes was to compare it to my vinyl reference. so the vinyl <-> tape compare is a top mind thing for me and both are my references for digital.
Maybe I am missing something here as I am an old school audiophile. Some of these modern day vinyl rigs are out of the stratosphere as far as pricing. Problem is, no matter how accurate the table and cartridge, you still have to deal with the imperfections of vinyl.
honestly i can listen to vinyl all day long, many times do, and i don't get a sense of imperfections. more that it's perfectly imperfect.

nothing is perfect. my goal is for my sources to sound like real music so i forget about it being reproduced. i'm there with that.
I have a digital system, server, DAC that I would put up against any vinyl setup costing twice as much as my investment.
agree that digital can deliver excellent performance with a relatively modest investment. OTOH some vinyl and tape can really deliver high performance for the investment especially with vintage and DIY aspects and then state of tune. $$$'s are not a reliable way to assess performance. and judging is always subjective.

if i was not so committed to analog, both tape and vinyl, not sure i would jump into it again. it can be a huge commitment going for the gusto.

out in the distance from a place far far away there are signs of life coming from Madrid Spain about the birth of something new this spring..

Oh what can it be?
Come to the Munich High End show and find out ( laugh like Boris Carlof)

• Wow
Reactions: Bobvin
Switchable for cd BB 1704, dsd ak 4499 or automatic detecting signal both work in there.native 1024 dsd.
Bandswidth 0- 50mhz no caps
Jitter 43ps.
I've never seen so much engineering effort into a DAC. This quality will prevail, there is no question.
New version
Burr Brown PCM1704s are great DAC chips for PCM...probably top 3 all-time.

Eventually convenience will kill everything.
well.......i think it's more follow the money than access or convenience.

if someone has a need to push the sonic reproduction quality limits 'beyond' with a big budget then us music lovers might get a trickle down benefit. might be gaming, might be industry or defense related, but it's very unlikely to come from the music/hifi business

i do agree that music distribution/production tends to lean toward convenience/access as the focus. so no real business case for digital to improve from where it's at. just refinement of the current processes.

Good news. More folks will have the opportunity to listen to more music.

Bad news. Cell phone's negative impact on the mental acuity on our younger generation.

Last edited:
Or it could bring to the table another world of music one would never listen too...

While I am not as "blessed" as many members on this forum monetory wise, I do enjoy vastly what my ANK 5.1 Pro DAC does for me. I will not compare it to vinyl.

Each format has its different deficiencies, and attributes as well, but comparing V to D? Not a comparison IMO. They are different animals.

That said, there are many aspects I prefer on the ANK versus vinyl and vice-versa. The ANK does music justice IMO/IME paired with the right tubes and corresponding system/system configuration/components.

Much of getting a DAC to sound like vinyl is what one's choice is in their vinyl rig versus their own digital rig. IMO/IME

Tom

Reactions: morricab
I love vinyl for its sound; dislike it for its relative lack of convenience.

Or it could bring to the table another world of music one would never listen too...

While I am not as "blessed" as many members on this forum monetory wise, I do enjoy vastly what my ANK 5.1 Pro DAC does for me. I will not compare it to vinyl.

Each format has its different deficiencies, and attributes as well, but comparing V to D? Not a comparison IMO. They are different animals.

That said, there are many aspects I prefer on the ANK versus vinyl and vice-versa. The ANK does music justice IMO/IME paired with the right tubes and corresponding system/system configuration/components.

Much of getting a DAC to sound like vinyl is what one's choice is in their vinyl rig versus their own digital rig. IMO/IME

Tom

Okay, I suppose many on audio forums are sensitive to any comment that could be interpreted to be about vinyl and digital, which the OP introduces, so I understand your remark. Please note I made no comment on vinyl versus digital and spoke broadly. From packaged processed food to buying term papers, to expectations of instantaneous internet response, the lust for convenience consumes the modern world.

The problem with trying to assume that vinyl is better than digital is everyone is forgetting that that tape is where the sound begins. Most of the music we listen to today, pre 1980 was produced with reel to reel recordings, and these master recordings were far superior to the digital and vinyl copies of these tapes. I would love to listen to any recording from the original master tape. Maybe I am missing something here as I am an old school audiophile. Some of these modern day vinyl rigs are out of the stratosphere as far as pricing. Problem is, no matter how accurate the table and cartridge, you still have to deal with the imperfections of vinyl. I have a digital system, server, DAC that I would put up against any vinyl setup costing twice as much as my investment.
The problem we have with listening to recordings made during the golden age (1954 until the beginning of digital) is the number of options that often differ greatly in sound quality. Let's say if you want a copy of the famous Heifetz Sibelius violin concerto. You can buy the original RCA LSC, any of the subsequent RCA mid-price reissues. LP reissues from Classic Records and Analogue Productions, various CD reissues, an SACD reissue, the AP Ultratape reissue and of course various versions on streaming services. We are also faced with problems associated with buying second hand records such as QC issues, wear, damage by the previous owner(s), vs. issues with new LP reissues such as cost, poor mastering, and often QC problems too. I bought a set of the expensive new 45 rpm direct cut Dvorak 9th, and the surface noise is worse than some of my 60 year old records. These problems cannot be overcome by an expensive vinyl rig. I find many remastered "audiophile" LPs have boosted frequency extremes and are tonally inaccurate when compared to the master tapes/original LPs. One can buy from dealers that grade second hand LPs according to the sound quality, such as Tom Port's Better Records, but they don't come cheap. As for digital, I personally find pure high speed DSD recordings superior to PCM at any bit rate/depth. I convert all my master tape copies directly to DSD128, and these often sound superior to random LPs of the same recordings available on the market. In fact, commercial 7 1/2 ips 4 track tapes often sound better than LPs too, and a few can even approach 15 ips master tapes. LPs can sometimes get to this level when all the stars align, but it is often hit and miss. It really depends on the skill of the mastering engineer, and it is not easy especially with complex, highly dynamic and wideband recordings.

Reactions: Tonari

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing