Most vinyl-sounding DAC?

asegal

Aug 26, 2023
United States
I love vinyl for its sound; dislike it for its relative lack of convenience. Looking to emulate the sound of vinyl in my digital set up and build a new system from scratch with this goal in mind.

Of course, it's ultimately a matter of total system synergy, but isolating the DAC as a single component, which DAC most lends itself to a vinyl-esque sound?

Some options I am looking at based on reputation:

- Mola Mola Tambaqui
- Playback Designs MPD-8
- Lampizator Horizon

Thank you!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Perhaps you should describe what you personally mean by "sound of vinyl". Based on opinions I have heard over the years, I am not sure everyone has the same idea about it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The closer digital appears to get to vinyl, the more the positives of analog outpace it. Certainly that's my experience on multiple listens to the most highly regarded digital source currently being touted.

My advice? Forget trying to get digital to emulate, or match vinyl. Just get digital that sounds immersive and non fatiguing in its own right.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I love vinyl for its sound; dislike it for its relative lack of convenience. Looking to emulate the sound of vinyl in my digital set up and build a new system from scratch with this goal in mind.

Of course, it's ultimately a matter of total system synergy, but isolating the DAC as a single component, which DAC most lends itself to a vinyl-esque sound?

- Mola Mola Tambaqui
- Playback Designs MPD-8
- Lampizator Horizon

Thank you!
a worthy goal. one i share. but so many facets to this idea. the issue is the word 'most'. 'most' presumes someone has really searched among dac alternatives, and then it also depends on the level of vinyl playback one is using. and the aspects of vinyl playback that are most significant.

if you are looking for vinyl sounding as 'listenability without digital fatigue' then maybe choosing the best dac you can afford with a tube output circuit might work. especially where you can roll tubes to taste. other dacs convert everything to dsd, which can knock the edge off the digital to a certain degree, improving listenability. the issue here is 'sameness'. any time the source gets 'processed' to remove or alter stuff, then the essence of the music is somewhat reduced in the name of listenability. and you might not realize it until you compare it to a dac that takes a different approach and does not do that.

but if by sounding like vinyl you mean without digital artifacts and the more live sounding and refined sounding, where differences between recordings and formats are exposed, but without fatigue, which goes beyond the listenability factor, now you have narrowed the field a great deal. since higher level vinyl starts with way more information, not sameness. and greater believability. you can have a digital source that sounds like vinyl in all ways. where you don't realize it's not vinyl. even with top level vinyl in your system.

and remember the server and dac<->server interface have a vote too. dacs can only be judged in the context of the whole digital pathway, and the level of synergy between the dac and server.

comes down to your vinyl reference, and expectations. there are many pretty good sounding dacs and servers that do a decent job at this. how serious and committed to it are you? do you really want the 'most'?

for the record, my suggestion is the Wadax Reference dac, plus Wadax Reference Server, and the Akasa optical interface as "most" vinyl sounding in all the best senses of that phrase. just my opinion. below the Wadax investment level there are a number of good alternatives depending on sonic priorities.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

- Mola Mola Tambaqui
- Playback Designs MPD-8
- Lampizator Horizon

Thank you!

this is my take

Post in thread 'Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ur-all-new-totl-horizon-dac.33950/post-841819

Reactions: lordcloud

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I’m not sure if the most vinyl sounding dac should be your goal as that implies compromise to me. If you want the best dac look for a high rate pure1-bit DSD chipless dac and stream it from HQPLAYER at the highest DSD rate that the dac will accept, this willI bypass all of the dac’s internal digital filtering and processing. You will never look back. Short answer: commercially available at this time, I recommend the T+A DAC200. Give it a listen at DSD512 or DSD1024 then come back and report on your impressions.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I love vinyl for its sound; dislike it for its relative lack of convenience.

Welcome to WBF. IMO reading on this forum you will find that in this very particular hobby the relative lack of convenience is part of its sound.

Looking to emulate the sound of vinyl in my digital set up and build a new system from scratch with this goal in mind.

Nothing digital can emulate the sound of vinyl - it is a complex electromechanical process, not just an electrical process. But you can find some DACs that used a convenient source can approach the type of information processing vinyl do.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer - as you say it is a system property. Some people prefer to tailor digital at the source, others at the preamplifier or exemplifier. Are you going to also assemble a vinyl source?

- Mola Mola Tambaqui
- Playback Designs MPD-8
- Lampizator Horizon

Thank you!

Based on reputation established by who? Are you sure these people share your preferences?
This will be thread fed by the individual gear preferences of members, many of them finding digital an inferior sounding format and having systems that have little in common with your ideas.

The critical question no one is asking - what is your digital source budget? What type of system and room do you own or intent to own?

BTW, IMO some vintage DACs are better in vinyl emulating than modern DACs - at that time it was the most that technology could aim. Most modern digital sources have other aspirations. FIY, the more "vinyl sounding" DAC I owned was the Kondo KSL DAC mk2. As always in WBF, just MHO, YMMV.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
i heard him in poland with friends and fell in love immediately. unfortunately not in my price range. xfactor dac 220lbs 75k€ from russia.
X_FACTOR_REFERENCE_DAC_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2.png

Reactions: Klonk

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Reactions: Carlos269

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Short answer: commercially available at this time, I recommend the T+A DAC200.
Are you inferring that there are other fun choices not "commercially" available? Like kits or custom order or the like?

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Are you inferring that there are other fun choices not "commercially" available? Like kits or custom order or the like?

My current order of preference among my pure 1-bit DSD capable chipless dacs is:

1) Digital Audio Denmark AX24 using SDIF-3 inputs at DSD128

2) ValveDac (Raw-DSD only and only dac in the world that uses the tubes for the conversion process) at DSD512x48

3) T+A DAC200 DSD (Solid State) at DSD512x48 or DSD1024x48

4) LampizatOr DSD-Only (one-of-a-kind, updated & upgraded tube dac) at DSD512x48

5) DSC2.5 Pure DSD-Only dac using Jussi Laako’s Signalyst DSC1 board (Solid State) at DSD512x48

6) T+A DAC8 DSD (Solid State) at DSD512x48

All sound exceptional and are solid performers with HQPLAYER 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solypsa

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
The Playback Designs MPD-8 DAC sounds exactly like vinyl when playing back recordings of vinyl made with the Playback Designs Pinot ADC. I have owned both the MPD-8 and Pinot for several years. PD asserts that they have solved the digital artifacts issues and, based on my experience, they have.

Reactions: Rexp

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The Playback Designs MPD-8 DAC sounds exactly like vinyl when playing back recordings of vinyl made with the Playback Designs Pinot ADC. I have owned both the MPD-8 and Pinot for several years. PD asserts that they have solved the digital artifacts issues and, based on my experience, they have.
what is your vinyl reference in your system? any other dacs you compared in your system to the PD and your vinyl?

is the standard for sounding like vinyl for you, sounding like digitally (dsd) sourced vinyl? or sounding like analog based vinyl, with tape based digital source? or is it more lots of vinyl and digital compared over time (daily) in your system and the feeling?

Last edited:

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
what is your vinyl reference in your system? any other dacs you compared in your system to the PD and your vinyl?

is the standard for sounding like vinyl for you, sounding like digitally (dsd) sourced vinyl? or sounding like analog based vinyl, with tape based digital source? or is it more lots of vinyl and digital compared over time (daily) in your system and the feeling?
My vinyl rig is a Reed 3C/3T/Airtight Opus 1/Boulder 1008. Also have a JCorder R2R. I compared many DACs in my system in 2018 prior to buying the MPD8 (Soulution, Berkeley, Boulder 2120, Esoteric, Burmester, T+A, TEAC, a few others I don't recall).

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
My vinyl rig is a Reed 3C/3T/Airtight Opus 1/Boulder 1008. Also have a JCorder R2R. I compared many DACs in my system in 2018 prior to buying the MPD8 (Soulution, Berkeley, Boulder 2120, Esoteric, Burmester, T+A, TEAC, a few others I don't recall).
thank you Chuck.

Reactions: Pokey77

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
i heard him in poland with friends and fell in love immediately. unfortunately not in my price range. xfactor dac 220lbs 75k€ from russia.
View attachment 115715

I looked up this dac and it uses an AKM dac IC. All the DSD dacs on my list are chipless in their DSD conversion.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Is the Playback Design the one OCD Mikey wanted to bring to Mike L. If not he could probably still get you one on a good accommodation discount price.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
In 2018, it was annoying to me that I had a very expensive Esoteric K-01 and it did not sound as good as my SME 30 and Rega P-10, the TTs I had at the time. The questions I had were: After half a century, hasn't anyone figured this out yet? Or is it a problem without a remedy? Was there a digital solution that would not make me want to put on a record? The Playback Designs was the only DAC I heard that did it, sounded like a complete conversion of digital to analog.

At that time, I was not specifically trying to emulate vinyl sound as the OP asked. That came up later, after reading Dr. David Robinson in Positive Feedback about how he had emulated the sound of analog, both vinyl and tape, using PD gear. I already had the DAC, so I borrowed a Playback Designs Pinot ADC from the California dealer to confirm, then bought the Pinot. It sounded the same to me -- playing the vinyl and 4xDSD Pinot digital recording of the vinyl at the same time, and switching the inputs on the preamp.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
In 2018, it was annoying to me that I had a very expensive Esoteric K-01 and it did not sound as good as my SME 30 and Rega P-10, the TTs I had at the time. The questions I had were: After half a century, hasn't anyone figured this out yet? Or is it a problem without a remedy? Was there a digital solution that would not make me want to put on a record? The Playback Designs was the only DAC I heard that did it, sounded like a complete conversion of digital to analog.

At that time, I was not specifically trying to emulate vinyl sound as the OP asked. That came up later, after reading Dr. David Robinson in Positive Feedback about how he had emulated the sound of analog, both vinyl and tape, using PD gear. I already had the DAC, so I borrowed a Playback Designs Pinot ADC from the California dealer to confirm, then bought the Pinot. It sounded the same to me -- playing the vinyl and 4xDSD Pinot digital recording of the vinyl at the same time, and switching the inputs on the preamp.

Given Andreas Koch’s substantial background and knowledge on all things DSD, I would not discount the Playback Design MDP-8 Dream Dac and would make the effort to listen to it before finalizing on purchase decision, if I was the original thread poster.

Reactions: Klonk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing