MSB DSD Update

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Not to get too technical, but can DSD files be burned to DVD and played back on the MSB signature transport or their universal transport or isn't it that easy ? I am trying to avoid using my computer for playback. It's in my listening room and is too loud (Fans) to keep on when I'm listening.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Not to get too technical, but can DSD files be burned to DVD and played back on the MSB signature transport or their universal transport or isn't it that easy ? I am trying to avoid using my computer for playback. It's in my listening room and is too loud (Fans) to keep on when I'm listening.

The easy question first.... yes, you can burn a DSD Disc on a DVD and it will play in most universal players. Now, whether MSB adopts this protocol is another story. My guess is probably not, since they don't have an SACD player. You can always downsample the DSD files to 24/176.4 and it will play.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Bruce,

The Msb Universal supports Sacd...so burning dsd to DVD is not quite the same thing ?

http://www.msbtech.com/products/transportComp.php?Page=platinumHome

Christian,

AFAIK, the UMT converts everything to PCM before sending data to the Platinum IV DAC.
Accordingly, burning a disc with your DSD file wouldn't be different than playing any physical SACD through the UMT. Obviously, unless at MSB they're planning changes with the UMT too.

So, my interpretation is you will convert native DSD (1X or 2X) directly through the MSB DAC only if played by a computer with the appropriate software.
What is not really clear to me is how they count to accept native DSD on all the inputs (unless they're coming out with a proprietary USB-to-SPDIF converter or they're modifying the UMT in order to use it also as a bridge between the computer and the DAC).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi Valerio,

I think you were correct about the MSB UMT converting everything to PCM until a few days ago. In looking at the MSB web site further, there is also now a firmware upgrade available for the UMT that states " This configuration is just like the standard MSB mode but when an SACD is played, DSD is output directly over the MSB Network and S/PDIF outputs, rather than PCM."

So in conjunction with the DSD firmware upgrade for any of the DAC IV's, it appears that MSB now plays back SACD natively via the UMT transport and not as PCM. As to Christian's question of can you burn a DSD file to a DVD and play that back in the UMT, I do not know that answer.

Arnie

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Valerio,

I think you were correct about the MSB UMT converting everything to PCM until a few days ago. In looking at the MSB web site further, there is also now a firmware upgrade available for the UMT that states " This configuration is just like the standard MSB mode but when an SACD is played, DSD is output directly over the MSB Network and S/PDIF outputs, rather than PCM."

So in conjunction with the DSD firmware upgrade for any of the DAC IV's, it appears that MSB now plays back SACD natively via the UMT transport and not as PCM. As to Christian's question of can you burn a DSD file to a DVD and play that back in the UMT, I do not know that answer.

Arnie

Thanks Arnie. Sounds to me, MSB is ready to read from disk and decode dsd natively w/o conversion.

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
I got my update working last night, and just updated my Sonore server to a newer version of Vortexbox. DSD is playing. . .sound is fantastic.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
congrats! How does DSD straight compare to DSD to PCM?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thanks...enjoy anyway!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I own a MSB IV DAC for about a month and am considering to install an USB input so as to be able to play DSD files.
I wonder is there significant sonic difference between its USB2 192 option and the more expensive USB2 Signature 384 option?
http://www.msbtech.com/products/usb2.php?Page=platinumHome
Many thanks in advance!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I own a MSB IV DAC for about a month and am considering to install an USB input so as to be able to play DSD files.
I wonder is there significant sonic difference between its USB2 192 option and the more expensive USB2 Signature 384 option?
http://www.msbtech.com/products/usb2.php?Page=platinumHome
Many thanks in advance!

Congrats CKK!! What led you to get this particular digital? What other digital did you consider...and how did they compare with MSB? Thanks and enjoy!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have the Signature DAC IV with volume and 384K USB input.

My digital search began in 2008 when I decided to jump into computer audio with both feet. My first high-end solution was an Esoteric D-05 with G-03X clock. Excellent sound and of course, Esoteric equipment is built like a tank. When PS Audio launched their DAC/Bridge streaming solution, I was fortunate enough to be selected as a Beta Tester. It seemed like a perfect solution with file storage elsewhere (the basement in my case with my listening room on the 2nd floor). The sound bested the Esoteric and streaming was super convenient, but I became disenchanted with a number of issues, gapless playback being the primary detractor. That's when I began looking at other solutions.

I was able to audition the following DACs in my system while I still had the PWD:

Weiss DAC202
Meitner MA-1
Playback Designs MPS-5
MSB Platinum DAC IV

The Weiss sounded good, better than the PWD, but not signficantly.
The Playback Designs was an older unit and limited to 16/48 via USB. It sounded terrible. . .after 10 minutes I removed it from my system.
The Meitner sounded fantastic and would have been a keeper, but it lacked some of the functionality (volume, phase inversion) that I wanted. I was also interested in future upgrades, and wasn't sure what would be available from Meitner.
The MSB played at a level above the Meitner, and provided the functionality I wanted. My audition was with the base Platinum version, and I purchased the "mid-level" Signature.

I posted on Computeraudiophile about this comparison last year: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-ma-1-dac-review-11664-post150560/#post150560

I've never been very good at the typical audiophile terminology. The MSB just sounds "right". . .at times I'm started by the realism as it sounds like someone's in the room with me. I have acutally jumped out of my seat thinking someone was there.

Hope this helps. . .

Bob

Bob - sorry i did not respond sooner....somehow i missed this! Thank you! Very much appreciate your taking the time to share your observations. I am starting to spend more time reading up on the MSB. I have not had a chance to hear it, but am now becoming interested enough to make the attempt.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Bob - sorry i did not respond sooner....somehow i missed this! Thank you! Very much appreciate your taking the time to share your observations. I am starting to spend more time reading up on the MSB. I have not had a chance to hear it, but am now becoming interested enough to make the attempt.

Hi Lloyd,
This is a MSB thread. I guess many MSB owners will offer you their comments soon. haha

I listened to all DAC that Catastrofe mentioned and more : Weiss Medea+; Playback 3; Esoteric 02 combo, 03 combo; Antelope Zodiac Gold & Eclipse & several EMM labs.
All are good DAC but their sonic characters differ.

MSB suits me because the bass is wanting with my audio system in my listening room. MSB's strong points are ultra resolution, big soundstage and breathtaking dynamics & bass energy.

And the Platinum IV series is easily upgradable so it's much more future-proof than other brands at the same price level.
A new firmware upgrade to enable DSD file playback was released this month, free-of-charge!
This is very important in this era of CAS/FAS/NAS.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,
This is a MSB thread. I guess many MSB owners will offer you their comments soon. haha

I listened to all DAC that Catastrofe mentioned and more : Weiss Medea+; Playback 3; Esoteric 02 combo, 03 combo; Antelope Zodiac Gold & Eclipse & several EMM labs.
All are good DAC but their sonic characters differ.

MSB suits me because the bass is wanting with my audio system in my listening room. MSB's strong points are ultra resolution, big soundstage and breathtaking dynamics & bass energy.

And the Platinum IV series is easily upgradable so it's much more future-proof than other brands at the same price level.
A new firmware upgrade to enable DSD file playback was released this month, free-of-charge!
This is very important in this era of CAS/FAS/NAS.

Very cool! Thanks for that! Enjoy!

badwisdom

Sep 4, 2012
Was disappointed to learn from my local reseller that MSB DACs converts the DSD signal to PCM. After thinking about it, i should have guessed: to my knowledge its impossible for ladder technology to decode pure DSD signals.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing