...is currently being built.
After three years' saving
I'm so happy i could xxxx

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
A little background:

Some years ago i bought a pre-owned 2060 power amp. It was a revelation, transforming my system and combining perfectly with my big Focals. Compared to the YBA Passion 1000 monoblocks it replaced, there was no great discernible change in bass extension or solidity, mid bass slam, or even soundstage. What was transformed was the tonality, texture, timbre. Instruments just sounded so real that the illusion that performers were actually in my room had never been stronger. I was one happy bunny.

But there was a fly in the ointment. Apparently there had been an 'incident' with a previous owner; reading between the lines it seemed as though their partner may have poured a drink on it- jealousy perhaps?- and it would randomly go into shutdown.

The amp went to the distributor, who replaced many parts, including the main board with the latest version from the new 2160. When i got it back the uptick in sound quality was incredible. The best way to describe it was as if my listening room had been treated by a genius of psychoacoustics who had tamed all the hard surfaces and sharp edges. It was sublime.

At which point there was a feline intervention. While i did everything to discourage my cats, sitting atop the warm amplifier was their happy place. On this occasion i had left my system warming up while i took my dogs for a wiggle, returning an hour or so later to a strange smell, a fried power amp and a destroyed field coil driver.
Yup, one of my cats had puked while sat atop the Boulder, shorting the amp and blowing the bass driver. I was as devastated as my system.

Having struggled manfully with my amp, Boulder then offered to build me a new one at a price i had to promise not to share. But even with a hefty discount, to me this was still a huge sum of money. Such that i procrastinated for six months, before finally commiting.
It was basically going to cost me half my income, every month, for three years.
Deep breath;
I gave the go ahead.

Thats was two years and eleven months ago. Two years and eleven months of belt tightening and struggling to make ends meet. It's been the longest I've ever paid for something that i couldn't live in. The distributor even loaned me a pair of Bel Canto ref600 monoblocks to keep me chugging along in the meantime.

But now we're almost there. My final payment is December 1st. The md of the distributor (Padood) has confirmed that my new 2160 is currently being built. I should have it in the next two months
And I'm on cloud nine?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! That is huge news. Very very exciting. Now looking at your post, you probably need to find a way to ensure there are no animals, liquids or 'anything' near them from the moment they arrive! Enjoy.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Congrats! That is huge news. Very very exciting. Now looking at your post, you probably need to find a way to ensure there are no animals, liquids or 'anything' near them from the moment they arrive! Enjoy.
Thank you Lloyd?
I have to admit, the part in the Analogue Domain audition where Angel Despotov pours a glass of water over his power amplifiers really speaks to me!

My plan...if you can't beat them...
I'm getting my auto engineer to build me a frame that can go over the amp, stretching some waterproof material a couple of inches above it, on which I'll add a wee cushion. Then the little buggers can sit safely atop the frame in the warmth, but any liquids ejected will be caught snd prevented from running down into my amp.
I'm thinking to add a wee clip-on fan to circulate the air and prevent overheating

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you Lloyd?
I have to admit, the part in the Analogue Domain audition where Angel Despotov pours a glass of water over his power amplifiers really speaks to me!

My plan...if you can't beat them...
I'm getting my auto engineer to build me a frame that can go over the amp, stretching some waterproof material a couple of inches above it, on which I'll add a wee cushion. Then the little buggers can sit safely atop the frame in the warmth, but any liquids ejected will be caught snd prevented from running down into my amp.
I'm thinking to add a wee clip-on fan to circulate the air and prevent overheating
Yikes. Is there no way to just put the Boulder in a proper cabinet with fans in the back or sides to ensure it remains cool?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Yikes. Is there no way to just put the Boulder in a proper cabinet with fans in the back or sides to ensure it remains cool?
I love looking at it?the softened brutalism of the form is unique amongst the organic shapes elsewhere in my room. It shouts 'authority', much like your Robert Koda monoblocks do

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Banned from playing records?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Ahem... What happened to the cats?
I cannot lie, i would love to have a home big enough for a dedicated, cat-free listening room.
But to create my current space i knocked together a bunch of rooms, corridors and a hallway, making a single decent-sized living room.
So we all have to share the same space.

But i sense the thrust of your question was have i reconsidered my cat appreciation?
Not really.
Ok, just maybe a little. But it wouldn't feel like home without them.
The calm emanating from a purring cat on my lap centres me.
I can't really imagine being without them.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
I cannot lie, i would love to have a home big enough for a dedicated, cat-free listening room.
But to create my current space i knocked together a bunch of rooms, corridors and a hallway, making a single decent-sized living room.
So we all have to share the same space.

But i sense the thrust of your question was have i reconsidered my cat appreciation?
Not really.
Ok, just maybe a little. But it wouldn't feel like home without them.
The calm emanating from a purring cat on my lap centres me.
I can't really imagine being without them.
and in the same spirit i have just ordered my second German Shepherd dog ...... pets do have an amazing effect on us

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
If you find that your 2160 does not after all find favour with your moggies, I would be very happy to offer it a new home, free of charge. I have the ideal place where it would be comfortable. It would not lack for anything by way of creature comforts and it would have its own dedicated power supply. The three cats living next door often pop round to listen to our 1160-based system playing Herbie Hancock, Coltrane and Davis at realistic volume levels. But they know to stay within their dedicated listening baskets...

Very envious and wishing you every listening pleasure.

JeffL
Sevenoaks, UK.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Very decent of you Jeff?

What's the rest of your system?

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
Hi IB
Tragically I've just been researching some of your fantastic gear and can only report a stratospheric envy rating... I think I must at least get a new needle for my Dansette so that I could perhaps take the pound coin off the pickup arm.

That last sentence describes my actual experience at age 13 when I began to understand what is going on when you play a record. It set me on the long and rather expensive road to this wonderful hobby of ours where systems are never completed but rather regularly tweaked.

However: currently in our modest listening area-cum-lounge there reside the following:
Boulder 1160, 1110 and 508
Marantz SA10 which also works as a DAC to a -
Bluesound Vault 2 which holds library of about 1000 CDs and
Roon software
Linn LP12, Ittok LVII, Clearaudio Titanium V2
Triangle Magellan Cello speakers
Apollo equipment rack
Audience balanced interconnects and mains leads
Loricraft P3 vinyl cleaning machine
In my Old Gits corner I also have a Garrard 301 and SME 3012 Series 2, both purchased in 1962 and now fitted with a Denon 103, in Loricraft plinth (Shure M75ED also available to play 78s); Revox A77 Mk 3; and a Leak Stereofetic tuner! Please don't laugh...

You did ask.

Enjoy your music! And thanks for the lovely feline tales.

Jeff

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gavin, there are legion of stories like "I ran my Ferrari off the road when I saw Gillian Anderson wave and smile sexily at me". I'm gonna have to put "My cat puked on my expensive amp and shorted it" into this category.
Good luck w the animal wrangling this time around.

Solecky

Nov 30, 2020
Gavin, there are legion of stories like "I ran my Ferrari off the road when I saw Gillian Anderson wave and smile sexily at me". I'm gonna have to put "My cat puked on my expensive amp and shorted it" into this category.
Good luck w the animal wrangling this time around.
Infinitely baffled
how are u liking the 2160?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Infinitely baffled
how are u liking the 2160?
Not here yet.
I'm beside myself with anticipation.

Rest assured, I'll be posting as soon as it arrives!

Solecky

Nov 30, 2020

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Ok thx! Have a good holiday!
Thank you sir!
Best wishes to you

Loving your system btw?
The Esoteric K1xd has a fantastic reputation. I cant decide if im aiming for that (new,) or the Grandioso dac (second hand)

Do you use the Stromtank just on your source components?
Previously I've found any sort of power conditioning detrimental with my previous 2060, but I'd love to try running my pre amp and sources on battery power.
Plus it (stromtank) looks the mutt's nuts?

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
At which point there was a feline intervention. While i did everything to discourage my cats, sitting atop the warm amplifier was their happy place. On this occasion i had left my system warming up while i took my dogs for a wiggle, returning an hour or so later to a strange smell, a fried power amp and a destroyed field coil driver.
Yup, one of my cats had puked while sat atop the Boulder, shorting the amp and blowing the bass driver. I was as devastated as my system.
My brother said I should get a cat. I like other people's cats. I shudder at the thought of that happening to the mighty 3060.

Solecky

Nov 30, 2020
Thank you sir!
Best wishes to you

Loving your system btw?
The Esoteric K1xd has a fantastic reputation. I cant decide if im aiming for that (new,) or the Grandioso dac (second hand)

Do you use the Stromtank just on your source components?
Previously I've found any sort of power conditioning detrimental with my previous 2060, but I'd love to try running my pre amp and sources on battery power.
Plus it (stromtank) looks the mutt's nuts?
Thx :)

I have the esoteric and 2110 preamp plugged into Stromtank with satisfying results. My 2160 has a 240v line for it since my Stromtank cannot handle it

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing